This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peppermint Spirits In Grain Alcohol

anti-soprano

anti-soprano Apprentice

Hi All-

I picked up some peppermint spirits yesterday because I'm getting really crunchy an making my own toothpaste. They have 100% gluten free on the label, but it is 85-90% distilled grain alcohol (which I know can be made of corn or something else gluten free).  I called the number on the bottle to interrogate the poor people, but only reached a distributor who didn't have the company #.  Really I'm writing to ask this:  "I should just relax and enjoy, right?"

Needing encouragement to let go and try new products more than anything else.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

There are particular rules about what types of alcohol can and can not be labeled gluten free, which is not an FDA thing. I don't remember what those rules are, but they're probably easily found. I would trust it. Heck, I'm so crunchy I make my own mint extract from vodka. Vodka is distilled, and I have no qualms about buying vodka made from wheat. I'll probably run out of Earthpaste this week and plan on starting to make my own. Being crunchy is fun! Super bonus: it makes my ultra-conservative husband just a little nuts. He's big on the saving money, not so much on the wife turning into a semi-hippie.  :lol:  B)

Adalaide Mentor

Found a link. Open Original Shared Link

Basically, if it's made without gluten, it can be labeled gluten free as long as the manufacturer can verify good manufacturing processes. So that claim on booze covers all our bases for us. Also, those gluten removed (lol) beers have to say gluten removed, not gluten free. It's a bit fancier than that, but that's the basics. So if booze says "gluten free" on it, we can be confident in what we buy.

ETA: I just realized how amazingly ironic it is how much I retained of this knowledge since my memory isn't what it used to be, or should be... and I'm Mormon.  :lol:

anti-soprano Apprentice

Thank you for the research!  I was looking before I saw your second post and NEVER would have found that.  If you have any crunchy tips- let me know.  I'm new at this!

Adalaide Mentor

Nah, I'm the kind of freak who does things like use baking soda and vinegar on my hair, bake all my own sweets, I have a small garden in the summer, can a bunch of stuff, I won't microwave in plastic (most of the time, when I remember not to)... then I indulge in the occasional box of Annie's mac & cheese. I'm bad at this. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

You shouldn't micro plastic...the chemist hubs says this is a NO- NO.

You're welcome.

Love, Mom

I would not say I am uber "crunchy" but I am just an old hippie, I guess (who did not even OWN a micro or a computer until I met the hubs --an ENVIRONMENTALIST and chemist who worked for NY ENCON who said "whattya nuts? welcome to the new world!  " (yes, he is a wise-ass...but I like that in a person

because well, I am one too) lol

..but I will say this:

(1) distilled vodka (even from grains) is safe.... or I would be d-e-a-d

(2) I am not making my own toothpaste, no matter how much of a "homemade is best" devotee I may be. 

but big giant crunchy kudos to you for bothering with that one!

cyclinglady Grand Master

What does hubs say about storing in plastic? I have never heated in plastic thanks to Dad who did not want plastic in his leftovers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

What does hubs say about storing in plastic? I have never heated in plastic thanks to Dad who did not want plastic in his leftovers.

He thinks storing in plastic is okay. :) 

Archived