4 replies to this topic

#1 answerseeker

answerseeker

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I had my adult onset asthma hit like a brick in 2012. Multiple rounds of prednisone, 1 hospitalization, and urgent care visits for oxygen and nebulizer treatments. They couldn't figure out why it hit so acutely and was so difficult to control. Hmmm I think I know why! It's been a huge thorn in my side. But 6 months gluten free and it's controlled!

I'm now undergoing cardiac testing and have a stress test on Feb 11th because my cardiologist suspects ischemia. This article is pretty eye opening.

http://www.celiac.co...thma/Page1.html

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

Good to hear about your asthma improving by going gluten-free! 

Here's my two cents about your upcoming stress test.  Will be it be nuclear or on a treadmill?  The nuclear test is tough.  I got pretty sick and afterwards they didn't even have any gluten-free for me in the department of the hospital.  I had to do the nuclear since I had just fractured my back.  My results:  continue to eat a stick of butter a day!  Just kidding.  All clear.  I'm good for another 50 years.  So, bring gluten-free food with you if the test is nuclear.

I went in to the hospital because I passed out after ingesting gluten-free fried chicken (gluttony will get you every time!), vomiting and passing out after I laid myself carefully on the floor (three months after celiac dx).  Woke up with a major nose bleed (pool of blood) and a compression fracture (thanks to celiac disease).  Could not get up.  Called the paramedics.  ER got a couple of weird readings on the EKG which I seemed to recall a conversation, "We've been having problems with that equipment" and they admitted me.  They thought I was having a heart attack.  My pain was from my fracture which was not discussed until my follow-up with my PCP a week later.  I did refuse the stress test once after being wheeled down to the nuclear department, but the cardio scared the crap out of my husband and daughter.  So, I was forced to comply!  Probably helped pay that month's installment for the nuclear equipment!  

Hope your outcome is just as good!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Good to hear about your asthma improving by going gluten-free! 

Here's my two cents about your upcoming stress test.  Will be it be nuclear or on a treadmill?  The nuclear test is tough.  I got pretty sick and afterwards they didn't even have any gluten-free for me in the department of the hospital.  I had to do the nuclear since I had just fractured my back.  My results:  continue to eat a stick of butter a day!  Just kidding.  All clear.  I'm good for another 50 years.  So, bring gluten-free food with you if the test is nuclear.

I went in to the hospital because I passed out after ingesting gluten-free fried chicken (gluttony will get you every time!), vomiting and passing out after I laid myself carefully on the floor (three months after celiac dx).  Woke up with a major nose bleed (pool of blood) and a compression fracture (thanks to celiac disease).  Could not get up.  Called the paramedics.  ER got a couple of weird readings on the EKG which I seemed to recall a conversation, "We've been having problems with that equipment" and they admitted me.  They thought I was having a heart attack.  My pain was from my fracture which was not discussed until my follow-up with my PCP a week later.  I did refuse the stress test once after being wheeled down to the nuclear department, but the cardio scared the crap out of my husband and daughter.  So, I was forced to comply!  Probably helped pay that month's installment for the nuclear equipment!  

Hope your outcome is just as good!  

no nuclear! on a treadmill

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#4 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

I had to do a cardiac workup last year and I collapsed on the treadmill, had to go Nuclear.  What a rush that is.  Its over quickly though so either way you'll be fine.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm not looking forward to it. Yesterday I was just folding laundry and my heart rate jumped to 137 and I was short of breath and dizzy. Can't image how I'm going to feel on that treadmill!

I'm going to do my best not to have nuclear though

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: