9 replies to this topic

#1 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Two sweet looking Girl Scouts just rang my doorbell and asked if I'd like to buy some Girl Scout Cookies. I forgot all about these being on the No-No list now! I'm so bummed! No more Thin Mints, Tagalongs or Peanut Butter Cookies.

I'm gonna miss seeing those sleeves of Thin Mints in my freezer this year.... ;-)

I raise my berry-banana protein smoothie to you, Girl Scout Cookies. It was fun while it lasted, and I'll miss you. I will always remember you fondly!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

this  year   girl  scouts  do  have  a gluten-free  cookie ! It  is  sold  in  certain  regions of the US..... You  can look  on their  site  for the  specific  regions.....

Next  if  you Google  gluten-free  thin mints,  samosa's  &  so  ,  several blogs  have   cloned  most  of  if  not all  girl scout  cookies  to be  gluten-free....

hth

#3 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

my cousin works for the girl scouts and she is constantly posting about cookies in gsc season  :o  like mamaw said:  just get yourself a recipe - i'm sure they are a popular 'gluten-free copycat' favorite :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

I won't miss them too much, but I sure would devour those shortbread cookies they make.  And I would freeze some, too.  Just give yourself an indulgence of your choice in place of them :)  But it does suck to say no to the little girls!  Makes you feel like a jerk walking past their booth on the way into the store and such.  I, too, will remember them fondly.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#5 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

This may be useful...

http://allglutenfree...-range-cookies/

Also, I've wondered if the gluten free GS cookies are really gluten-free?  Made on gluten-free lines and all?  Anyone know?

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Yes, I have eaten the cookies and they are certified gluten free in a dedicated facility.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#7 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thank you!  Now I know.  

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#8 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

I won't miss them too much, but I sure would devour those shortbread cookies they make.  And I would freeze some, too.  Just give yourself an indulgence of your choice in place of them :)  But it does suck to say no to the little girls!  Makes you feel like a jerk walking past their booth on the way into the store and such.  I, too, will remember them fondly.

I have found that Safeway's Eating Right brand has a delicious gluten-free oreo cookie. I'm sure I can find substitutes for GSCs, but it just hit me that this is something I can't buy anymore, it didn't occur to me last October. I just hope the substitutes are not like Gluten Free Beer. Yuck! ;-)

By the way, LauraTX, I LOVE your profile pic! Fellow Tortie lover/owner, are ya? :-)

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

I have found that Safeway's Eating Right brand has a delicious gluten-free oreo cookie. I'm sure I can find substitutes for GSCs, but it just hit me that this is something I can't buy anymore, it didn't occur to me last October. I just hope the substitutes are not like Gluten Free Beer. Yuck! ;-)

By the way, LauraTX, I LOVE your profile pic! Fellow Tortie lover/owner, are ya? :-)

Torties for life!!! :D  

I call anything other than oreo brand "fauxreos"  LOL!   I am a huge fan of the kinnickkinnick ones with chocolate cookies and filling.  Never buy them cause I devour the whole pack.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#10 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Two sweet looking Girl Scouts just rang my doorbell and asked if I'd like to buy some Girl Scout Cookies. I forgot all about these being on the No-No list now! I'm so bummed! No more Thin Mints, Tagalongs or Peanut Butter Cookies.

I'm gonna miss seeing those sleeves of Thin Mints in my freezer this year.... ;-)

I raise my berry-banana protein smoothie to you, Girl Scout Cookies. It was fun while it lasted, and I'll miss you. I will always remember you fondly!

Oh, man, those thin mints are so good!  Were so good, I guess. :)

January 2014-Celiac
August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: