24 replies to this topic

#1 coffngrl

coffngrl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Despite the CSA certifying Omission as safe for celiacs, I can attest - it is not.

I actually hadn't researched it before consuming it: I went to the beer store and asked which gluten-free beer was the best, and the guy handed me one and said this one tested the best. Stupidly, I drank it.

It gave me a stomach ache instantly - I was bloated a bit the next day, but two days after I literally blew up, gained 4lbs overnight (3% of my body weight!) and couldn't button my jeans for 3 weeks. I had diarrhea for weeks, felt just miserable and had to go back to square one on my no FODMAPS diet just to get everything to calm down.

It wasn't the alcohol - I had dealt just fine with wine until that point - it was the beer. I had had the same foods before then, just fine, had been sailing along confident in my gluten free-ness. I'm only now recovering from that episode and will never try beer again.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I only have this link handy because I just linked it. But Omission beer (and any gluten removed alcohol) can't be labeled gluten free but has to have special and specific labeling that is different. http://www.ttb.gov/rulings/2012-2.pdf Couldn't pay me to touch the stuff. I'll stick with whatever is actually gluten free for beer.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

There are some excellent gluten-free beers made from G F grains. (New Planet, Greens, Bard's, New Grist for starters...)

Omission is a "gluten-removed" beer and no celiac should drink it. "Beer store guys" are not the best resource for information about the safety of G F beers, hon. So sorry you got sick.

Don't give up on drinking a good G F beer just because you got bad info.   When you feel better, you may want to indulge and enjoy again. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm so sorry you had that experience, good to spread the word and raise awareness with the Celiac community, though.  I am glad I never liked beer in the first place so I don't miss it. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Despite the CSA certifying Omission as safe for celiacs, I can attest - it is not.

I actually hadn't researched it before consuming it: I went to the beer store and asked which gluten-free beer was the best, and the guy handed me one and said this one tested the best. Stupidly, I drank it.

It gave me a stomach ache instantly - I was bloated a bit the next day, but two days after I literally blew up, gained 4lbs overnight (3% of my body weight!) and couldn't button my jeans for 3 weeks. I had diarrhea for weeks, felt just miserable and had to go back to square one on my no FODMAPS diet just to get everything to calm down.

It wasn't the alcohol - I had dealt just fine with wine until that point - it was the beer. I had had the same foods before then, just fine, had been sailing along confident in my gluten free-ness. I'm only now recovering from that episode and will never try beer again.

I won't drink it either. "They" can't remove enough for me. I'm slowly learning to drink beers made from other grains. After a lifetime of wheat/barley beers, it's definitely a slow process!

#6 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

bard's or new planet are the best i've tried so far.  my beer store guy *gave* my husband a 6 pack for me to try of omission - he tried one (i wouldn't touch it!  barley!  danger!)  and brought the guy back 5 hahahaa  :D   i used to drink redbridge - it was easier to find.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Raywuwei

Raywuwei

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I met the brew masters wife. She has been drinking the beer since he started making it about 10 years ago. She is a celiac, and she has had multiple biopsies to confirm that her intestines are healthy. I have never had a problem drinking it.

Sorry you didn't feel well, I know most celiacs are afraid of the stuff. 

4/25/12 tTG blood work tested at >200
5/11/12 Endoscopy confirmed scalloped Duodenum
Gluten Free since 5/11/12

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

I met the brew masters wife. She has been drinking the beer since he started making it about 10 years ago. She is a celiac, and she has had multiple biopsies to confirm that her intestines are healthy. I have never had a problem drinking it.

Sorry you didn't feel well, I know most celiacs are afraid of the stuff.

Usually, doctors don't do multiple biopsies over 10 years unless your antibodies continue to be elevated on a gluten free diet.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Was diagnosed just after new year's. Liquor store recommended Omission as a good gluten-free beer....it was really good....but when I read it actually was made from gluten grains I poured it down the sink. Too early and my system is still too messed up to be taking chances.

Fortunately Glutenberg, Bards, and new Planet are good. Heard about another today, New Grist, which I may try.

#10 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

I have had it a few times, and I have a small reaction (So I go to the bathroom 6x per day or more, for a few days). I have a really rough time if I drink a six pack within a certain amount of time. Anywhere from a day or two to a week. If I have one every so often, it isn't as bad. 

Overall... not that great, other than tasting good.

I'd recommend Green's. It is the only one that really tastes great. Everything else has been so gross or watery, that I don't even bother. 

#11 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

http://omissionbeer....ognition-seal//

I'd try some if we had it here. Perhaps we do, but I haven't seen it. If it's "well below 20 ppm", it should be OK for Celiacs. Of course there's always going to be those few that can't tolerate even infinitesimal amounts of gluten. But I don't believe that all celiacs should be forced to adhere to their guidelines.   

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

There is some debate about whether or not those tests are even accurate. Since there are a wide variety of beers available that aren't made of poison, I don't see why anyone with celiac would purposefully buy such a product.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

There is some debate about whether or not those tests are even accurate. Since there are a wide variety of beers available that aren't made of poison, I don't see why anyone with celiac would purposefully buy such a product.

I agree. I wouldn't even try it at BJ's brewhouse the other day.

No matter what they tell me, I just won't knowingly ingest anything even remotely gluten. No way, no how.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

I have had it a few times, and I have a small reaction (So I go to the bathroom 6x per day or more, for a few days). I have a really rough time if I drink a six pack within a certain amount of time. 

well, it sounds as if you'd be better off avoiding it then? 6X a day or more in the loo is not good.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

I have not reacted at all to the gluten removed beer Omission. I know there are good gluten-free beers out there, but none are available where I live (Jackson, MS). The beer distributer I talked to said he can't get any of those some of you have named as "good".  Red Bridge is the only one available. I tried cider, but it is way too sweet for my taste. As long as I don't have a reaction to Omission

, I will keep drinking it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: