33 replies to this topic

#1 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Has anyone noticed a problem with the color of their teeth? It's kind of hard to explain, but I recently noticed my teeth aren't as white as they use to be. When I look closely at them, I notice half way down my front top teeth, it looks like the bottom half are becoming transparent and the top half are still solid white. Does or has anyone else had this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Yep! Me too.

celiac disease has impacted my bones. I have osteopenia and osteoporosis (vertebrae fracture this past year). Have you had a bone scan?
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

I have had 2 bone scans. I was diagnosed with osteopenia too. I just started having problems with my left hip. I wonder if this is connected to the osteopenia. I wonder if anyone has had to have veneers due to their teeth getting so bad or what other options are out there.

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

Yes, When I was 17, the enamel disappeared off my teeth.  The dentists would marvel about the unusual color of my teeth.  It is a sign of celiac.  Incidentally, I had a talk with my dentist about it last time I visited.  He believed that the mouth environment gets to acidic and the enamel dissolves off of the teeth.  I also suggested mal-nutrition from mal-absorption could cause trouble and he thought it was a good theory too. 

D

#5 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

Has anyone noticed a problem with the color of their teeth? It's kind of hard to explain, but I recently noticed my teeth aren't as white as they use to be. When I look closely at them, I notice half way down my front top teeth, it looks like the bottom half are becoming transparent and the top half are still solid white. Does or has anyone else had this problem?

About a year before my DX, the dental hygienist made several comments about how my gums had receded and were in very bad shape all of the sudden. She said if she didn't know better that she would think I were malnourished. Also, for a couple of years before that, my teeth simply weren't as white anymore. I attributed it all to coffee and red wine and promptly got a whitening kit which never seemed to work for very long.  I bought those little pipe cleaner things for between my teeth after meals and started rinsing and brushing like crazy.

Now, after just a little while of being gluten free, my mouth is already so much better!!! I go for a bone scan in a couple of months. I swear the more I read this forum, the more lightbulbs go off over my head!

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

My hips and rib cage really bothered me and I never made the connection to bone loss. It was so bad that I hade to get out of bed because I could not stand it, but it has resolved. I hope this is a sign that I am building bone!

From my research, I don't think teeth will recover, gum disease yes, but not the actual teeth.
Anemia -- Resolved
Diabetes -- January 2014

#7 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

It's so crazy. In December I went in for a cleaning and the dentist was telling me how bad my gums were and that I was starting periodontal disease...yet the hygienist found no buildup. I brush and Floss a lot. 10 days ago I was diagnosed with celiac. Could this explain my teeth?

In December I was also found to have uterine polyps and gallbladder polyps. Then a stomach infection...h. pylori and now celiac. I'm 42 and feel like I'm falling apart.
You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice.
Bob Marley

#8 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yep, but it does get better!
Anemia -- Resolved
Diabetes -- January 2014

#9 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

I have gum disease and osteopenia (diagnosed via bone scan). Dr has me taking 2000 iu of vit D hoping it will get better. My gums are bad, dentist said I had bone loss there too. I sure hope its revsersible because I don't want dentures!

My hip often bothers me but xray ruled out fracture. I notice it gets worse in cold weather.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

#10 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

It's so crazy. In December I went in for a cleaning and the dentist was telling me how bad my gums were and that I was starting periodontal disease...yet the hygienist found no buildup. I brush and Floss a lot. 10 days ago I was diagnosed with celiac. Could this explain my teeth?

In December I was also found to have uterine polyps and gallbladder polyps. Then a stomach infection...h. pylori and now celiac. I'm 42 and feel like I'm falling apart.

The uterine stuff could be age or celiac. I'm 40 and just found uterine fibroids and endometrium cysts on my ovaries. Not fun!

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#11 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

The uterine stuff could be age or celiac. I'm 40 and just found uterine fibroids and endometrium cysts on my ovaries. Not fun!

Did you really? Do you have to have surgery? My surgery is next week to remove the polyps from the uterus as well as remove the gallbladder. Sigh. I see that it's been a few months since you were diagnosed. Are you feeling better? That's what I'm still waiting for.
Bob Marley

#12 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Did you really? Do you have to have surgery? My surgery is next week to remove the polyps from the uterus as well as remove the gallbladder. Sigh. I see that it's been a few months since you were diagnosed. Are you feeling better? That's what I'm still waiting for.

I go back to my GYN in April to reasses. I get another pelvic ultrasound to look for any changes in the cyst or fibroids. So right now it's watch and wait. One if the cysts is filled with blood but it's small (2.2cm) so she's not overly concerned unless it gets bigger.

I'm feeling better in terms of GI issues but dealing with heart and blood vessel stuff right now. Thrombophlebitis and irregular heart beat. My GI Dr said it's not related to Celiac though

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#13 icelandgirl

icelandgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

I go back to my GYN in April to reasses. I get another pelvic ultrasound to look for any changes in the cyst or fibroids. So right now it's watch and wait. One if the cysts is filled with blood but it's small (2.2cm) so she's not overly concerned unless it gets bigger.
I'm feeling better in terms of GI issues but dealing with heart and blood vessel stuff right now. Thrombophlebitis and irregular heart beat. My GI Dr said it's not related to Celiac though

That sounds scary. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I just so want to feel better. How long until your G I stuff improved? I need to figure out if my prescriptions are Gluten-Free. They're all generics. Fun!
Bob Marley

#14 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

That sounds scary. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I just so want to feel better. How long until your G I stuff improved? I need to figure out if my prescriptions are Gluten-Free. They're all generics. Fun!

I take Synthroid and keep reading that the jury is still out on my dosage and whether or not it contains gluten. I tried the generic and it just didn't work as well as far as symptoms. I think the Synthroid is ok because I'm super sensitive and when I eat well, my medication doesn't bother me.

You know - the more I read this forum, the more my mouth drops open at all of other symptoms that were more than likely celiac related. I've even had a hysterectomy because of fibroids and have also had gallstones. Thyroid too. D**M GLUTEN!!!

#15 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

How do they determine when to treat fibroids? My GYN says they are not bothersome but now I'm wondering

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: