This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems With Teeth

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

Has anyone noticed a problem with the color of their teeth? It's kind of hard to explain, but I recently noticed my teeth aren't as white as they use to be. When I look closely at them, I notice half way down my front top teeth, it looks like the bottom half are becoming transparent and the top half are still solid white. Does or has anyone else had this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yep! Me too.

celiac disease has impacted my bones. I have osteopenia and osteoporosis (vertebrae fracture this past year). Have you had a bone scan?

twe0708 Community Regular

I have had 2 bone scans. I was diagnosed with osteopenia too. I just started having problems with my left hip. I wonder if this is connected to the osteopenia. I wonder if anyone has had to have veneers due to their teeth getting so bad or what other options are out there.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Yes, When I was 17, the enamel disappeared off my teeth.  The dentists would marvel about the unusual color of my teeth.  It is a sign of celiac.  Incidentally, I had a talk with my dentist about it last time I visited.  He believed that the mouth environment gets to acidic and the enamel dissolves off of the teeth.  I also suggested mal-nutrition from mal-absorption could cause trouble and he thought it was a good theory too. 

D

livinthelife Apprentice

Has anyone noticed a problem with the color of their teeth? It's kind of hard to explain, but I recently noticed my teeth aren't as white as they use to be. When I look closely at them, I notice half way down my front top teeth, it looks like the bottom half are becoming transparent and the top half are still solid white. Does or has anyone else had this problem?

About a year before my DX, the dental hygienist made several comments about how my gums had receded and were in very bad shape all of the sudden. She said if she didn't know better that she would think I were malnourished. Also, for a couple of years before that, my teeth simply weren't as white anymore. I attributed it all to coffee and red wine and promptly got a whitening kit which never seemed to work for very long.  I bought those little pipe cleaner things for between my teeth after meals and started rinsing and brushing like crazy.

Now, after just a little while of being gluten free, my mouth is already so much better!!! I go for a bone scan in a couple of months. I swear the more I read this forum, the more lightbulbs go off over my head!

cyclinglady Grand Master

My hips and rib cage really bothered me and I never made the connection to bone loss. It was so bad that I hade to get out of bed because I could not stand it, but it has resolved. I hope this is a sign that I am building bone!

From my research, I don't think teeth will recover, gum disease yes, but not the actual teeth.

icelandgirl Proficient

It's so crazy. In December I went in for a cleaning and the dentist was telling me how bad my gums were and that I was starting periodontal disease...yet the hygienist found no buildup. I brush and Floss a lot. 10 days ago I was diagnosed with celiac. Could this explain my teeth?

In December I was also found to have uterine polyps and gallbladder polyps. Then a stomach infection...h. pylori and now celiac. I'm 42 and feel like I'm falling apart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yep, but it does get better!

answerseeker Enthusiast

I have gum disease and osteopenia (diagnosed via bone scan). Dr has me taking 2000 iu of vit D hoping it will get better. My gums are bad, dentist said I had bone loss there too. I sure hope its revsersible because I don't want dentures!

My hip often bothers me but xray ruled out fracture. I notice it gets worse in cold weather.

answerseeker Enthusiast

It's so crazy. In December I went in for a cleaning and the dentist was telling me how bad my gums were and that I was starting periodontal disease...yet the hygienist found no buildup. I brush and Floss a lot. 10 days ago I was diagnosed with celiac. Could this explain my teeth?

In December I was also found to have uterine polyps and gallbladder polyps. Then a stomach infection...h. pylori and now celiac. I'm 42 and feel like I'm falling apart.

The uterine stuff could be age or celiac. I'm 40 and just found uterine fibroids and endometrium cysts on my ovaries. Not fun!

icelandgirl Proficient

The uterine stuff could be age or celiac. I'm 40 and just found uterine fibroids and endometrium cysts on my ovaries. Not fun!

Did you really? Do you have to have surgery? My surgery is next week to remove the polyps from the uterus as well as remove the gallbladder. Sigh. I see that it's been a few months since you were diagnosed. Are you feeling better? That's what I'm still waiting for.
answerseeker Enthusiast

Did you really? Do you have to have surgery? My surgery is next week to remove the polyps from the uterus as well as remove the gallbladder. Sigh. I see that it's been a few months since you were diagnosed. Are you feeling better? That's what I'm still waiting for.

I go back to my GYN in April to reasses. I get another pelvic ultrasound to look for any changes in the cyst or fibroids. So right now it's watch and wait. One if the cysts is filled with blood but it's small (2.2cm) so she's not overly concerned unless it gets bigger.

I'm feeling better in terms of GI issues but dealing with heart and blood vessel stuff right now. Thrombophlebitis and irregular heart beat. My GI Dr said it's not related to Celiac though

icelandgirl Proficient

I go back to my GYN in April to reasses. I get another pelvic ultrasound to look for any changes in the cyst or fibroids. So right now it's watch and wait. One if the cysts is filled with blood but it's small (2.2cm) so she's not overly concerned unless it gets bigger.

I'm feeling better in terms of GI issues but dealing with heart and blood vessel stuff right now. Thrombophlebitis and irregular heart beat. My GI Dr said it's not related to Celiac though

That sounds scary. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I just so want to feel better. How long until your G I stuff improved? I need to figure out if my prescriptions are Gluten-Free. They're all generics. Fun!
livinthelife Apprentice

That sounds scary. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I just so want to feel better. How long until your G I stuff improved? I need to figure out if my prescriptions are Gluten-Free. They're all generics. Fun!

I take Synthroid and keep reading that the jury is still out on my dosage and whether or not it contains gluten. I tried the generic and it just didn't work as well as far as symptoms. I think the Synthroid is ok because I'm super sensitive and when I eat well, my medication doesn't bother me.

You know - the more I read this forum, the more my mouth drops open at all of other symptoms that were more than likely celiac related. I've even had a hysterectomy because of fibroids and have also had gallstones. Thyroid too. D**M GLUTEN!!!

answerseeker Enthusiast

How do they determine when to treat fibroids? My GYN says they are not bothersome but now I'm wondering

icelandgirl Proficient

I take Synthroid and keep reading that the jury is still out on my dosage and whether or not it contains gluten. I tried the generic and it just didn't work as well as far as symptoms. I think the Synthroid is ok because I'm super sensitive and when I eat well, my medication doesn't bother me.

You know - the more I read this forum, the more my mouth drops open at all of other symptoms that were more than likely celiac related. I've even had a hysterectomy because of fibroids and have also had gallstones. Thyroid too. D**M GLUTEN!!!

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe everything that's been wrong with me has always come down to this celiac thing and I didn't know it.
NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I had uterine polyps removed a few years ago via a D&C.  The OBGYN who did the procedure said she lost count as to how many there were in there, described the procedure as "picking them like weeds", said "most" women who never go through child birth end up having to have a D&C at some point in their lives, and explained that uterine polyps are NOT a precursor for cancer the way colon polyps are.  The procedure was a simple out-patient thing and when I started to get cramping as I was coming out of the sedation they hit me with a dose of Demerol and I never experienced any more pain after that.  The polyps had been causing irregular periods and spotting to the point where it was like I had a light period almost every day of the month.  They've been normal ever since.

I also have weird teeth.  I have a visible ridge that goes across the middle of my front teeth - the dentists are always baffled by it because I never had braces or a retainer or any other appliances in my mouth.  The bottom portion of my teeth are also somewhat translucent but every dentist I've ever been to has told me that some teeth are just like that, it has no bearing on the state of my enamel, and overall my teeth have been healthy.  My teeth have never been white-white, but I had to take some sort of medicine when I was a kid for some weird ailment - no idea now what it was - and one of the side-effects of the meds was a yellowing of the teeth.  Now I use the Crest strips about once a year to get rid of stains and they're fine.

icelandgirl Proficient

I had uterine polyps removed a few years ago via a D&C.  The OBGYN who did the procedure said she lost count as to how many there were in there, described the procedure as "picking them like weeds", said "most" women who never go through child birth end up having to have a D&C at some point in their lives, and explained that uterine polyps are NOT a precursor for cancer the way colon polyps are.  The procedure was a simple out-patient thing and when I started to get cramping as I was coming out of the sedation they hit me with a dose of Demerol and I never experienced any more pain after that.  The polyps had been causing irregular periods and spotting to the point where it was like I had a light period almost every day of the month.  They've been normal ever since.

I also have weird teeth.  I have a visible ridge that goes across the middle of my front teeth - the dentists are always baffled by it because I never had braces or a retainer or any other appliances in my mouth.  The bottom portion of my teeth are also somewhat translucent but every dentist I've ever been to has told me that some teeth are just like that, it has no bearing on the state of my enamel, and overall my teeth have been healthy.  My teeth have never been white-white, but I had to take some sort of medicine when I was a kid for some weird ailment - no idea now what it was - and one of the side-effects of the meds was a yellowing of the teeth.  Now I use the Crest strips about once a year to get rid of stains and they're fine.

I've had 3 kids and have the polyps and have gallbladder ones too. Is this celiac related? You've been gluten free a few months. How are you feeling?
NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I've had 3 kids and have the polyps and have gallbladder ones too. Is this celiac related? You've been gluten free a few months. How are you feeling?

I was asymptomatic before my diagnosis so didn't have any serious issues to monitor and watch go away.  That said, I do find I feel stronger and have more energy.  I wake up faster in the morning too - I used to need a good 2 hours to feel human.  Now I'm fully awake within minutes.  I'm not as irritable either - I had started taking a Vit B Complex which was really helping with my mood, but I'd still get pretty impatient and grumpy sometimes.  That doesn't happen anymore either... unless someone does something really stupid that warrants a legitimate irritation response.  -_-

As far as the spotting and period pain goes, that had gone away after having the D&C and I have no idea if it was Celiac related or not.  I'm also experiencing some pre-menopausal weirdness so things in that department have slowed down a great deal - really wish it would just go away all together already!  Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.  There are just so many different health problems that can be triggered by Celiac (and the accompanying malabsorbtion issues) that it's really hard to say what issues will go away when you go gluten-free and which issues would have come along with or without the Celiac.

Gemini Experienced

Discoloration of teeth can happen with Celiac or just from the aging process.  Everyone's teeth become duller and less white as they age, some worse than others. But tooth and gum problems are huge for Celiac's and it is because of one thing......inflammation.  Inflammation makes your gums recede and bone loss occurs. Celiac can strip enamel off of your teeth.  My adult 2 front teeth came in and were yellow....no enamel whatsoever on them.  Thank goodness for caps.

I have always gone to the dentist 4 times per year for cleanings.  That's the amount you should go to the dentist but the insurance companies set the standard of 2 times per year because they don't want to pay for 4.  I've had hygenist's tell me that my teeth are cleaner than theirs.  Yet....I still had inflammation, gum recession and bone loss.  Once I went gluten-free, that stabilized but I also have Sjogren's Syndrome.....double whammy.  So I pretty much go to the dentist often and it has paid off because considering the damage that was done, my teeth look pretty good and my problems are under control. Still there, but under control.  I added weight training into the program almost 4 years ago and the 3 dental implants I have had took very well and I generated good bone to hold them in place.  It takes work and patience but these things can be successfully managed.  Celiac can do so much damage, it's mind boggling.

As far as fibroids are concerned, answerseeker asked when do they determine when to treat them?  When YOU, the patient, tells the doctor to do so.  I have a friend who suffered greatly with those things and finally she demanded a hysterectomy.  It was the best thing she ever did.  If you are past childbearing age or already have had your kids, and your troubles are causing you a lot of grief, then ditch the uterus, Ladies.  It's for having babies and when that job is done, you don't need it. I don't agree with the statement that someone made, from their doctor, that most women who never have kids end up having a D&C.  Where do they get that?  :huh:   I know women who have little trouble with their fibroid issues and others who were miserable every month. It all depends on your situation but don't let a doctor tell you they don't need treatment. If you are miserable with it, then demand solutions. It's bad enough having cramps every month,without the added problem of fibroids.  It makes everything worse.  The woman I mentioned is doing great and no more female problems.

I have no idea if they are linked to Celiac but inflammation does different things to many people.

Educating GF Newbie

I went to a celiac conference in Fargo, ND a few years ago. There was a dentist from Connecticut that was a guest speaker. He noted that the tooth enamel discoloration is a result of someone that has celiac disease before the age of 3 years.(when the adult teeth are being formed).His daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease. He went on to recommend many of his patients to get tested after looking at their tooth enamel.

• 3 weeks later...
miguel54b Apprentice

My teeth were brown at the tips and my gums receded' the dentist did not know what the caused it. Don't remember how long after being gluten free my teeth came back to normal since I did not link it to gluten. Tooth enamel defect is one the clues that you may have problems with gluten; same for joins problem. I got to the point of not being able to open a jar/bottle, that went away too.

itsmebiancap Rookie

I read that gluten eats away at your teeth. Well this makes sense (if its true). 2 years ago I ate gluten mostly in fresh breads and occasional pasts. This transitioned to fast food as I relocated and was always on the go and broke :( . I think my  body was telling me then but I didn't know much about the gluten intolerance / celiac disease so I ignored it. However, after my body fighting me back a year ago I found out I had a gluten intolerance and I notice how much my teeth have become horrible. I feel like I am at the end of my life when I look at my mouth (even though I am in my late 20's). All of a sudden my teeth started to decay faster and get this bright yellow (even sometimes after I brush). I must admit I never had good dental habits but I also never had yellow teeth! Also, one of my teeth that weren't that good before is almost completely disappeared from my mouth and another the whole has increased. I find this strange that it mostly been within the last year that I have noticed this problem :( . What can I do? IT kind of makes me feel hopeless and not want to laugh. Now I feel like I take better care of my teeth then I ever did before yet it still doesn't look like it helps. What to do? Any advice?

miguel54b Apprentice

Are you on a 100% gluten free diet? Sometimes we assume that some products are gluten free. I just had an episode because I ate an apple with the peel on it; the preservative coating they use is gluten based. If gluten is the cause of your teeth problems you should be able to start to see improvements in a few weeks plus take some calcium supplements to help build up the teeth. Good luck...

kareng Grand Master

. I just had an episode because I ate an apple with the peel on it; the preservative coating they use is gluten based. 

I have never seen any credible evidence of this.  Please supply your sources.  

Also, some teeth issues are irreversible. Check with a dentist.  

Archived