Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Celiacs Tolerate A Little Gluten Sometimes?

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#1 livinthelife

livinthelife

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

I mentioned this as a reply on another topic but thought I'd ask it as a separate question.

I keep reading that some celiacs are super sensitive to gluten while others seem to "tolerate" it a little better.

If celiac is a confirmed DX with blood/biopsies, wouldn't even a little gluten damage the villi even if it doesn't cause symptoms? Can some celiacs tolerate a little gluten (maybe cross contamination and the like?) with no damage at all?

I'm not considering trying this out or tempting fate, I just know other celiacs who eat a little more carefree than I do and just wondered!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

No, Celiacs can never tolerate gluten.

I've heard of people saying that they have "Light Celiac" or "Mild Celiac". There is no such thing. Celiac is Celiac. Even the smallest amount of gluten will affect you. What does vary is the type of reaction in terms of symptoms. Some people will have a very strong outward reaction to the tiniest amount of gluten, while others will get a mild reaction. It depends on the person and their symptoms. Everyone is different. 

Honestly the Celiacs who eat "a little more carefree" are probably seriously hurting themselves without realizing it. Or they are in denial and don't care. I've met a few people like that. This is a diet you cannot do halfway.

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

I agree with WinterSong. Cross contamination is cross contamination & it will hurt you. Some people don't get any symptoms but it is still damaging their villi. Heck, there are celiacs who, when they were eating full gluten & didn't know they had celiac disease, had absolutely NO symptoms at all yet upon endoscopy had complete villous atrophy. Loves2travel is one such. She got tested b/c her sister had celiac WITH symptoms --- on testing she found out she was far more damaged than her sister.

It's not okay to eat carefree in any manner as far as celiac & gluten are concerned. Period. The end. That's the bottom line.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

no gluten.  period. 

i know a few celiacs who don't follow a strict diet or they follow it loosely (just scrape the gravy off the meatloaf, it'll still be fine) and they pay the price.  i asked one of them, "don't you get symptoms?'  and he showed me his hands - all blisters/dh said that was a direct reaction to eating it.  but at the next dinner we went to, there he was again, eating whatever, scraping the crust off the pie...........  or they have other symptoms and deny that they could be from eating gluten.  example:  rheumatiod arthritis!  would i rather adjust my diet (boo hoo) or have r.a. ?  kind of an easy question to answer ;)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

That's what I thought. Even chips fried in the same oil as onion rings and the like or just taking the bread off the patty. I would throw a fit that it was there in the first place. I just don't get it. 

Thanks for all of your comments. I KNEW IT!!!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Can some celiacs tolerate a little gluten (maybe cross contamination and the like?)

well, I can tell you........this one can't. :huh:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

I am what some people call a "Silent Celiac".  I was kind of diagnosed by accident, early stages according to my doctor.  If I ingest gluten, I do not get acute symptoms, so I don't know if I am CC'd or anything like that.  However, my intestines will still get damaged and such, like I had unexplained anemia before diagnosis that is now better on a gluten-free diet.  So I do not intentionally eat gluten and I still go all anal retentive when avoiding CC, because even though I don't run to the bathroom I understand what it does to my body.  It actually has a downside in that if I accidentally ate something with gluten in it, I don't have a built in detection system.  

I have also met people who will scrape the crust off the pie, etc, and then they get a tummy ache after but they continue behaviors like that.  Just like some diabetics still eat sugar, some super morbidly obese people still overeat, some people with lung issues still smoke, not everyone complies with medical needs.  They hurt themselves in the end.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#8 Mac0030

Mac0030

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

I have never had a symptom and didn't even know I had celiac. It has been two months without gluten. I asked my doctor about the no symptom t all eating gluten once in awhile. He said NO WAY! Even though you don't feel anything then damage still occurs. My biggest problem is that if my no symptoms continue to occur I will never know about cc so I need to be extra careful. Don't eat gluten willingly it's not worth it and will harm you.

#9 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

No.  1/8 of one teaspoon creates a reaction in our bodies even if we don't feel it per se.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#10 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

Well, I get a horrendous reaction even if I just look at gluten... ! I am exaggerating , but it is very close... I am still learning to live gluten-free and I KNOW when I have been glutened... with even the smallest crumb ..

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

This is a research paper on how much gluten celiacs can tolerate.  http://ajcn.nutritio...0.full.pdf html

They conclude that 10 mg per day can be tolerated by most celiacs and that the diet should be kept at below 50 mg per day. This is the accepted science at this point.  I personally don't agree with it.

#12 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Not so sure I could take 10 MG. you couldn't pay me enuf to eat Gluten on purpose , I know a Celiac who does, to keep herself "regular"  Nooooooo way jose!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#13 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

This is a research paper on how much gluten celiacs can tolerate.  http://ajcn.nutritio...0.full.pdf html

They conclude that 10 mg per day can be tolerated by most celiacs and that the diet should be kept at below 50 mg per day. This is the accepted science at this point.  I personally don't agree with it.

This study makes perfect sense to me and it rationalizes the ppm limits for gluten-free food.

WARNING! SCIENCE ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hehe)

The average adult consumes 3.5 lbs of food per day from the most reliable internet source I could find..  This is 1,588,000 milligrams.  (I didn't mess with significant figures here just threw out some rough estimates).  So 10 milligrams is 6 parts per million.  If someone consumes less food per day you will approach 10 ppm, etc.  Completely rationalizes the 5, 10, and 20 ppm standards held by companies and soon the FDA.  50mg per day is 30 ppm and that is too much to handle.

However, I cannot imagine how they were able to convince enough celiacs to join the study.  "We are going to give you this pill, and it may or may not contain gluten, maybe a good amount.  Will you volunteer?"  Haha!

Not so sure I could take 10 MG. you couldn't pay me enuf to eat Gluten on purpose , I know a Celiac who does, to keep herself "regular"  Nooooooo way jose!

That person is a nitwit.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

This study makes perfect sense to me and it rationalizes the ppm limits for gluten-free food.

However, I cannot imagine how they were able to convince enough celiacs to join the study.  "We are going to give you this pill, and it may or may not contain gluten, maybe a good amount.  Will you volunteer?"  Haha!

They didn't get many people in the study.  13 people had 10 mg per day and 13 has 50 mg per day.  Of the ones taking 10 mg per day, one had a full relapse.  Does this rationalize the ppm limits for gluten-free food?

#15 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:00 AM

I literally treat gluten like poison because that's what it is. For me there is no "tolerance" or cheating. Heck, even if we get a little bit and don't have a horrible reaction, it's still in there destroying villi and causing who knows what kinds of problems.

I sure wouldn't join that study. NO WAY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: