6 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Thyroid Panel was within range throughout.

.  Do I assume I never had an issue?  Or could there have been improvement since gluten free?  I had many symptoms and several people here told me to get tested and also a doctor that specializes in celiac told me to get it tested.  At any rate, I am glad that this, anyway, isn't being a problem for me.

Anyone had improvement in thyroid using supplements and diet alone?

D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Be careful with that normal range, it can include a lot of people with thyroid problems. TSH should be near a one regardless of the range. FreeT3 and Free T4 should be in the 50-75% portion of the lab's normal range. TPO Ab should be low too.

Just makes sure you look at the whole picture before dismissing thyroid problems. They can be hard to see. Take me for example, for years my TSH was between a 4 and a 7. My doctors called that normal. When my TSH finally went high enough for the doctors to admit to a problem, my free T3 and free T4 were still normal (albeit at the bottom of normal) as was my TPO Ab (top of range).... I am not on a full replacement dose of thyroid in order to feel better; my thyroid was not doing much even though it looked fine.

I hope the tests are right and everything is fine.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

I would appreciate it if someone would take a look, but don't care to show everyone.  One number was at the bottom of the range.  Also, if someone thinks there may be a problem, who would I see or talk too?  The MD would have only tested TSH and said it wasn't needed to do more.  I ended up paying for the rest of the panel.  I don't think she knows too much about it. Neither did the last MD.   Is there a special thyroid doctor one could ask?

D

#4 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

An Endocrinologist is the Doctor who would handle the Thyroid.  Hopefully your is fine.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

When my TSH is between a 1 or a 3 I feel fine. My t3 and t4 levels have always been in the mid-range. My antibodies are all over the place (above 300 to the 1,000) and are still high despite being gluten-free for almost a year. I worry about becoming hyper rather than hypo because my hyper symptoms are much worse (anxiety, jittery, weakness, bone loss, and eye problems which is the scariest since my Mom has Graves and has permanent double vision. I spent two years swinging back and forth. I would take hypo any day!

I guess what I am trying to say, is that you just have to go by your symptoms and having a TSH close to a 3 is good for me. My TSH was a .8 two weeks ago. I feel good, but am carefully monitoring my symptoms.

Desperate, were your thyroid antibodies okay? That would rule out autoimmune thyroiditis.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

An endocrinologist is a good place to start. I had to go to an alternative practitioner (orthomolecular MD) because endocrinologist do not see people for "plain old" hypothyroidism up here... well they do but it takes a year to get in.

I pm'ed you.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

My T3 was at the lowest range.  I just remembered seeing improvement in my health while painting iodine unto my skin in a quarter size. I forgot and left that behind long ago.  I guess maybe I need to make sure I get my iodine!

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: