40 replies to this topic

#1 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

Hubbs made some dip for "The Game" He went out and got the gooey cheese, some burger , used some of my canned Salsa and Pickled Peppers. I looked at the can of gooey cheese and yup corn in it... There was a bowl right by me! I said you guys don't know how bad I want to dig into this! I am moving it out of my reach! Lol Hubbs was nice and sent it home with the kids. Whew!! I was sick the day before. I was going to make something I could eat and share at game time. But it just didn't happen. Just a lil something I miss!! I handled it tho :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jordan shulak

jordan shulak

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hubbs made some dip for "The Game" He went out and got the gooey cheese, some burger , used some of my canned Salsa and Pickled Peppers. I looked at the can of gooey cheese and yup corn in it... There was a bowl right by me! I said you guys don't know how bad I want to dig into this! I am moving it out of my reach! Lol Hubbs was nice and sent it home with the kids. Whew!! I was sick the day before. I was going to make something I could eat and share at game time. But it just didn't happen. Just a lil something I miss!! I handled it tho :)

I saw this post from Gluten Free Mama on Saturday and tried the corn salsa and spincach & artichoke dips and they were delicious & easy!  Maybe you can try to make something next time that you can eat as well!  Recipes: http://glutenaway.bl...ps-for-any.html  Good Luck!

#3 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,752 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Maybe you can find a way to make the dip with " real" cheese you shred yourself - not the canned stuff? That way it wouldn't have corn oil/ syrup, starch.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

now i want cheese dip!  lolz!!

yes, w8n4, if you shred your own cheese, you will know what's in it (just cheese, hopefully!)  i have a shredder - my hubs!  haha!  ;)

i make an awesome pimento cheese spread - i have frozen red peppers from the garden, i put onion in it, usually cheddar, mayo, sour cream - everybody loves it (but hubs because he has to shred the cheese lolz)  <nah, he likes it, too :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

i'm down here in the well, looking back up at the hill

well, thank heavens i fell, i must look more like myself.

everyone is so kind, everyone looks like

a long lost friend of mine....  - 'up from under'  - the wallflowers

have a nice day :)

#5 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Why not use Velveeta? It doesn't contain any corn ingredients. BTW, this isn't a "Coping with Celiac Disease" issue, per se. It is a  "Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues" topic. Just saying. 

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Why not use Velveeta? It doesn't contain any corn ingredients. BTW, this isn't a "Coping with Celiac Disease" issue, per se. It is a  "Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues" topic. Just saying. 

best regards, larry mac

Actually Velveeta DOES have corn ingredients.

Ingredients: NONFAT MILK AND MILKFAT, WHEY, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MILK, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MALTODEXTRIN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, SODIUM ALGINATE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, CHEESE CULTURE, ENZYMES, APOCAROTENAL AND ANNATTO (COLOR).

Maltodextrin, scorbic acid, and cirtric acid are almost always sourced from corn. If I ate Velveeta I would probably wind up in the hospital.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

I don't have the stamina for shredding cheese, or the bank account for buying it shredded. So, I bought the shredder attachment for my KitchenAid. With the amount of cheese (and other shredded things) we go through in our house it has been well worth the investment. I shred a bunch at once and use corn starch to keep it from sticking to itself, but potato or tapioca would probably work too. Or just shredding only as much as you need at a time but I like cleaning up as few times as possible.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

I also buy block cheese and shred it myself.  I will do like a pound at a time so I can floof it up in the ziploc bag before freezing so it doesn't stick, but I may try some starch on it next time.  You just grab whatever amount you need and toss it back in the freezer.  It is nice for a two person household, and I have to go light on cheese or my gallbladder will freak out.  I always keep at least some shredded parmesean and romano in the freezer to sprinkle on things. I usually get my husband to shred for me, haha, but I also have a shredding blade for my food processor.

W8in I feel your pain.  Especially at the times where you don't want to be a meanie and bar your family from having tasty no-nos around you, but you stare at it salivating the whole time.... it sucks!  Lately I have been seeing a commercial for a seasonal food item and I want to eat my TV screen each time it comes on, which is a lot. LOL.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Does cream cheese have corn in it?  I don't know as corn isn't an issue for me.  I also don't know what gooey cheese is.  But I should think you could melt cream cheese or whatever other soft cheese doesn't have corn in it then add finely shredded extra sharp cheddar (perhaps just a bit) to give it a sharper flavor.

We used to get Espinaca Con Queso at Chi Chi's when they had one in our area.  I recreated it at home and I think it was just cream cheese and spinach.  I did use Velveeta in mine too, mixing half cream cheese and half Velveeta because I happened to like the slightly nippier taste but I'm sure you could use cheddar and get the same sort of flavor.  Might give it a slightly thicker texture.

Used to be a Mexican place here that made an out of this world dip and it had cheddar in it.  It was ground beef, onions and green bell peppers cut in strips like for fajitas, perhaps tomatoes (been a while so not sure about that) and cheddar cheese all melted together on a metal platter served on a wooden board like you would for fajitas.  We actually didn't even eat it as a dip because I was trying to keep my carb count lower.  We'd just scoop it onto small plates and eat it with a fork.  Man was it good!

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

I also buy block cheese and shred it myself.  I will do like a pound at a time so I can floof it up in the ziploc bag before freezing so it doesn't stick, but I may try some starch on it next time.  You just grab whatever amount you need and toss it back in the freezer.  It is nice for a two person household, and I have to go light on cheese or my gallbladder will freak out.  I always keep at least some shredded parmesean and romano in the freezer to sprinkle on things. I usually get my husband to shred for me, haha, but I also have a shredding blade for my food processor.

W8in I feel your pain.  Especially at the times where you don't want to be a meanie and bar your family from having tasty no-nos around you, but you stare at it salivating the whole time.... it sucks!  Lately I have been seeing a commercial for a seasonal food item and I want to eat my TV screen each time it comes on, which is a lot. LOL.

I thought I had it bad with all of my problems.  I wouldn't wish a corn allergy or intolerance on anyone.  One year, my daughter's teacher sort of dumped all of the food allergy/issue kids onto me since I think he was fearful that he might kill one or at least sicken them.  I tried to be sooo careful.  But this one boy couldn't have yellow dye number 5 (I think that was the number) or corn so...  Party time was slim pickin's for those kids.  Some were gluten-free, there was a life threatening peanut allergy, issues with other nuts, dairy, eggs, soy and some other things that likely wouldn't crop up at a kid's party.  I always did manage to find things to serve to them, even if it was just fresh fruit.  And I did manage to find a few things at the health food store although they didn't always like them.  The girl with the peanut allergy did say that she apprecitated my efforts though so it wasn't all bad. But I tried to serve them all the same things so that everything was safe for everyone and I did try to make it as close to what the other kids were eating as I could.  Including making my own powdered sugar for icing.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

best regards, larry mac

Since W8tin is still negotiating the ins and outs of the G F diet, and she feels this is still a coping issue, I think it's okay for this topic to remain right here. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"Have a super shiny day!". A.S. 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

now i want cheese dip!  lolz!!

yes, w8n4, if you shred your own cheese, you will know what's in it (just cheese, hopefully!)  i have a shredder - my hubs!  haha!  ;)

i make an awesome pimento cheese spread - i have frozen red peppers from the garden, i put onion in it, usually cheddar, mayo, sour cream - everybody loves it (but hubs because he has to shred the cheese lolz)  <nah, he likes it, too :)

Hubs is the cheese shredder in this house, too. And the mandoline handler. "Lucy" is barred from using that one. Although one time, he sliced his own finger on that puppy and I had to keep from saying "see! see! It's not just me!" lol

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"Have a super shiny day!". A.S. 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

I can completely sympathise with your story .... Some weeks ago we we re visiting some Friends in The countryside and suddenly an hour visit turned into the whole afternoon and a barbecue and sausages came out, hamburgers, buns, salad and dressing, before I could even lift my hand and say .... But iiiiii aaammmm GGGFFF.....! And not even my husband thought of saying anything.... Everyone eating happpily and nothing to eat for me, because everything had gluten! I was not very pleased- I had not broght anything because I was not expecting to stay out all afternoon!

But on the upside... My cousin in New Orleans made me a fab dip with grilled artichokes, 1 squeezed lemon, olive oil, Parmesan cheese... Whisk in the food processor until smooth and tuck in!!

#14 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Unless just the sight of, or smell of, or suggestion of corn makes one sick, i.e., mind over matter, Velveeta just might be tolerable for the corn insensitive.

~ Citric Acid: http://en.wikipedia....iki/citric_acid

~ Sorbic Acid: http://en.wikipedia....iki/sorbic_acid

~ Maltodextrin: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Maltodextrin

best regards, larry mac

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#15 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

I saw this post from Gluten Free Mama on Saturday and tried the corn salsa and spincach & artichoke dips and they were delicious & easy!  Maybe you can try to make something next time that you can eat as well!  Recipes: http://glutenaway.bl...ps-for-any.html  Good Luck!

Thank you!! Will def look into it!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: