40 replies to this topic

#16 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Why not use Velveeta? It doesn't contain any corn ingredients. BTW, this isn't a "Coping with Celiac Disease" issue, per se. It is a  "Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues" topic. Just saying. 

best regards, larry mac

He didn't velveeta , he used something eles, it had corn. If I'd of felt better I'd of went and read labels !! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Since W8tin is still negotiating the ins and outs of the G F diet, and she feels this is still a coping issue, I think it's okay for this topic to remain right here. 

Im sorry did I put it in the wrong spot? So sorry! But I do want to point out hubbs did not use Velveeta Cheese he used something eles. Some off brand. But I am still having issues. So I wasn't going to eat it anyway. But man I sure wanted to. It smelled so good! I am really trying to stay away from processed food. Hoping it will help me with issues ...

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Im sorry did I put it in the wrong spot? So sorry! 

No apologies needed...we would have moved your thread if we felt it was an issue :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 MGR

MGR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

now i want cheese dip!  lolz!!

yes, w8n4, if you shred your own cheese, you will know what's in it (just cheese, hopefully!)  i have a shredder - my hubs!  haha!  ;)

i make an awesome pimento cheese spread - i have frozen red peppers from the garden, i put onion in it, usually cheddar, mayo, sour cream - everybody loves it (but hubs because he has to shred the cheese lolz)  <nah, he likes it, too :)

Mmmmmm nice, I had friends over and I tried this last night!

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:33 AM

Im sorry did I put it in the wrong spot? So sorry!

Nope, hon. That's why I said it was fine right here. 

(I was replying to larry mac who thought it belonged elsewhere)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Larry Mac, from the very sources you cited:

Maltodextrin can be enzymatically derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually corn;

And citric acid:
In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of A. niger are fed on a sucrose or glucose-containing medium to produce citric acid. The source of sugar is corn steep liquor, molasses, hydrolyzed corn starch or other inexpensive sugary solutions

Believe me, I am so sensitive to corn I have done TONS of research and I KNOW what a corn intolerant person can and can't have. The last time I had something with cirtic acid (which because of the cheapness of corn is almost ALWAYS from corn here in the US), I spent hours in the bathroom, then ended up with a drop in my body's core temperature and had muscle spasms for hours.

I would never tell a celiac person that they could eat something that most likely had wheat in it. Telling corn intolerant people they can eat something like velveeta which DOES contain corn is NOT a good idea.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

I waitef

Maltodextrin can be enzymatically derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually corn;

And citric acid:
In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of A. niger are fed on a sucrose or glucose-containing medium to produce citric acid. The source of sugar is corn steep liquor, molasses, hydrolyzed corn starch or other inexpensive sugary solutions

Believe me, I am so sensitive to corn I have done TONS of research and I KNOW what a corn intolerant person can and can't have. The last time I had something with cirtic acid (which because of the cheapness of corn is almost ALWAYS from corn here in the US), I spent hours in the bathroom, then ended up with a drop in my body's core temperature and had muscle spasms for hours.

I would never tell a celiac person that they could eat something that most likely had wheat in it. Telling corn intolerant people they can eat something like velveeta which DOES contain corn is NOT a good idea.

I waited for you to come back and respond to this issue (rather than butting in) because if anyone knows about corn, corn by-products and corn derivatives, it's you! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, I was away for a couple of days or I would have piped up sooner. I would hate to see someone with a corn intolerance get sick because of bad/erroneous advice.

#24 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

And citric acid:

I completely agree with you about me making any statements concerning what a corn intolerant person may eat. That's not my area of expertise, as it were. And I apologize. I wouldn't have even read that post if it had been in a forum thread devoted to "other insensitivities/intolerances" etc. Corn intolerance is not Celiac Disease. Many believe they are soy, casien/dairy, corn, cheese intolerant. And I'm probably leaving some others out here. It's very unfortunate, and I'm not unsympathetic of them. I just don't have the time and energy to follow everything. I'd rather just focus on Celiac Disease. You know, wheat, barely, and rye.

I'm guessing, and I'll defer to you on this, that as with Celiacs, there's a wide range in degree of corn intolerance. Some Celiacs, I'd say most, can eat foods that don't contain any listed gluten ingredients. And others are so sensitive that they must take exteme measures to avoid any possible exposure, no matter how infinitesimally small and unlikely that may be.  

Because of my ignorance of corn intolerance, I took one look at Velveeta's ingredients and didn't see any obvious corn.  And then when I looked up the three were discussing, I still didn't see any actual corn in the finished products. Just because a culture is grown on a medium, doesn't necessarily mean there's any of that medium left in the finished product. For instance, from those same sources, it states that even when Maltodextrin is derived from wheat, no wheat protein is left in the finished product. 

But I digress from the business at hand. And that's me getting out of the corn business. 

Again, please accept my sincere apologies. I promise to butt out of any corn business from now on.

best regards, larry mac 

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#25 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I guess if I were only interested in celiac (wheat, rye and barley), I would have read the first post in this thread and, seeing it was about corn, not read any farther. But that's just me.

Anyway, I'm glad for you that you have no further intolerances. :)

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I guess if I were only interested in celiac (wheat, rye and barley), I would have read the first post in this thread and, seeing it was about corn, not read any farther. But that's just me.

Anyway, I'm glad for you that you have no further intolerances. :)

and....what I would give to "only" have celiac without "additional intolerances" or other AI diseases and complications.

(which seems to be more the norm than the minority around here)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

I know! My sentiments exactly! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#28 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

I completely agree with you about me making any statements concerning what a corn intolerant person may eat. That's not my area of expertise, as it were. And I apologize. I wouldn't have even read that post if it had been in a forum thread devoted to "other insensitivities/intolerances" etc. Corn intolerance is not Celiac Disease. Many believe they are soy, casien/dairy, corn, cheese intolerant. And I'm probably leaving some others out here. It's very unfortunate, and I'm not unsympathetic of them. I just don't have the time and energy to follow everything. I'd rather just focus on Celiac Disease. You know, wheat, barely, and rye.

I'm guessing, and I'll defer to you on this, that as with Celiacs, there's a wide range in degree of corn intolerance. Some Celiacs, I'd say most, can eat foods that don't contain any listed gluten ingredients. And others are so sensitive that they must take exteme measures to avoid any possible exposure, no matter how infinitesimally small and unlikely that may be.  

Because of my ignorance of corn intolerance, I took one look at Velveeta's ingredients and didn't see any obvious corn.  And then when I looked up the three were discussing, I still didn't see any actual corn in the finished products. Just because a culture is grown on a medium, doesn't necessarily mean there's any of that medium left in the finished product. For instance, from those same sources, it states that even when Maltodextrin is derived from wheat, no wheat protein is left in the finished product. 

But I digress from the business at hand. And that's me getting out of the corn business. 

Again, please accept my sincere apologies. I promise to butt out of any corn business from now on.

best regards, larry mac 

Certainly did not mean to cause a ruckus, I think this is all a learning experience to us all. I do have Celiac, I do have corn intolerance , I did not say hubbs used Velveeta he used some off the wall brand. I am so sorry If I offended anyone by posting this. Will try and stay on topic of Celiac. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

Certainly did not mean to cause a ruckus, I think this is all a learning experience to us all. I do have Celiac, I do have corn intolerance , I did not say hubbs used Velveeta he used some off the wall brand. I am so sorry If I offended anyone by posting this. Will try and stay on topic of Celiac. 

But hon, you ARE on topic. You did not offend anyone.

Do not let one person's comment cause you to feel as if you did something wrong.

If the moderators of the board did not move it out of the coping section, then we feel it's a coping issue.

You're still new at this and you were telling us how you coped with yet another new hurdle.

Am I right?

Please, do not give it another thought!

You got supportive replies and that's the whole point.

All's well that ends well. ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

OK :) To stay on topic. I will now say being corn intolerant and Celiac and Lactose intolerant. I am considering the Paleo diet. I call them Doits :)Not Diets.  I am so tired of looking at labels and trying to figure out what is Corn and what is not.I am no scientist.  I think it will be easier for me to just not eat processed. I think all I have to give up besides processed is Rice & Potatoes , Ohhh and Beans ...I had a beginners Paleo book need to look it up. Beans and Rice <- my fav! Soooo hmmm .... Maby Monday will be my day? Eat the rest of the rice I cooked yesterday, maby have Beans and Rice for the last time :) but I have got to do something. Maby this is the way to go? This processed cheeses and Processed Cream of soups and proccessed chips and processed processed processed.... Sick of reading labels and having reactions. I know we read it here all the time. Sick and tired of being sick and tired! I have got to do something. This will be my next thing. 

TY IrishHeart I will try and keep that in mind. Cannot imagine being miss DX'd for 25 years! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: