6 replies to this topic

#1 catie

catie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

Hi.  My name is Catie and I have been sick a long, long time.  I will try to condense my story and make it as clear as possible.

My tummy has always hurt.  At 25, it got dangerous.  The abdominal pain was really scary.  The med that helped was Bentyl, but it was not a cure or even that effective.  Sometimes, I would take a prescription pain killer leftover from my DH's kidney stones.  Mutliple MD's, a positive celiac panel,  following a strict gluten free diet DID NOT improve  the pain AT ALL, and then I landed in the hospital.

The gastro told me that I did not have celiacs and I went back on gluten.  The major trigger I could identify for the previous pain was Splenda.  Came off Splenda, and the pain *mostly* went away, but I have diarrhea  EVERY DAY.  This went on for 2 years.

Fast forward to the end of January.  I had a checkup at my regular MD's office and I asked him if my tummy pain would ever go away.  He reminded me I had tested positive for celiacs and suggested I go back to gluten free.  

In the past week and a half, the diarrhea has been remarkably better, but not gone.  Bowel distention is improved, my girlfriend says it looks like I lost at least 2 inches around the middle.  I am doing more than just gluten free because I really, really want to feel better.  

So, I made eggs last night in a cast iron skillet.  Awful.  DH has cooked many a pancake in it.  The pain was so bad that 2 Bentyl took the edge off but I still was super restless, could barely sleep and awoke to MORE tummy pain.  Egad.

I understand that this is a process and takes time  I am ok with that.  I feel like I need an older sister.  Does that make sense?  Just a friend to kind of mentor me thru this process.  I am grateful to have found this forum but am nervous about posting as I don't really know the etiquette of forums boards.  Is it OK that I am a newbie and I start a thread, that kind of thing?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,038 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:12 AM

Welcome. Lots of new people start new topics/ threads! Much better etiquette than hijack someone else's thread . :)

Start here for some basic info:

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Welcome,

You find out, on the forum, that other people have experienced the very things you do.  We all bumble around a bit at first and learn the hard way!  I wish you well on your recovery.

D

#4 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

You're in the right place!  This place has provided peace of mind many a time.  Post any time!

Diagnosis 11/2012

#5 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi Catie and Welcome!

You're definitely in the right place!  Collectively, we can be your big sister and get you through this!  The first few months are the hardest but once you realize how much better you feel you'll know it has all been worth it.  Poke around on the forums - there is tons of good information in here - and post whatever questions you have. 

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#6 catie

catie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thanks y'all.  I really appreciate it!  xo

#7 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Welcome to the board! You will always find friends and support on this forum. Many of have been on this site for years because we find this kind of community support is incredibly important and also because it so important to help out others - we were all in your shoes at one point.

Remember: it may be hard now, but once you get the hang of it you will feel amazing!!

Welcome! Search around on the board and feel free to ask questions!

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: