30 replies to this topic

#1 coffngrl

coffngrl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

So I have this opportunity to travel for work - it's the biggest assignment of my career - but it involves traveling from place to place every day, relying on either hotel breakfasts, lunch buffets and whatever restaurant is close. Also, traveling with a group of non-celiacs in a high stress, hectic and fast-paced event in Europe.

I've been wanting to do this assignment for years, but now that I'm celiac, and still struggling on a daily basis with symptoms, I'm not sure I can accept it. I have five months until I'd go, but only a few weeks to decide: should I stay or should I go. I'm terrified to say yes, but terrified to say no.

Help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

wow.  sounds  like  a  great  experience.... Mu suggestion  as an old time celiac(10+ years)  would be  to  carry  a  gluten-free  food  pack  with  you for  an  emergency  in your  luggage.....and  research , research, research the places  where  you will be traveling....in this  day & age  most  places  in the  world gluten-free  food  can be  found........have  a great  time...

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

A chance of a lifetime - I would say YES! Within five months you will almost assuredly be feeling better, plus you will be more experienced with how to deal with restaurants. Plus, as Mamaw said, you will have time to do research on gluten-free foods available in the cities you're likely to go to. Even if they have no restaurants, they will have grocery stores so you can buy what you need.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

If you decide to go, do not leave the country without taking out travel insurance that includes some medical benefits.  If you were to go and become ill and need medical attention, the insurance you have will not be accepted out of country.  You will have to pay cash and then be re-imbursed by your insurance company.  I always take out medical insurance and it includes emergency evacuation back to the States, just in case.  I have never had to be flown home sick but it costs a fortune and airlines have strict rules, which will cost you a lot of money.  It just is a good back up thing to do.  You sound young so insurance is not expensive when you are younger.  You may also be covered by your company so look into it and find out.

I only say this because you are still suffering from on going symptoms and I have learned from experience that travel stress can make things worse.  I had to cut a vacation short in 2009 because my Hashi's thyroid disease flared up bad and I went seriously hyper and needed to fly home a few days earlier.  I was healing and the dose I was on was now too large.....and the symptoms decided to kick in when I was in Europe.  I did a ticket change but got re-imbursed by the travel insurance company.  No matter your age, travel abroad should be covered from all angles.

I would plan on going and stay positive but if you are not feeling up to snuff right before travel, you may have to re-think things.  Take out the insurance to cover your bases, if needed, and that will help to make you feel more comfortable when doing this big adventure.  Good luck to you......sounds great!

#5 coffngrl

coffngrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

If you decide to go, do not leave the country without taking out travel insurance that includes some medical benefits.  If you were to go and become ill and need medical attention, the insurance you have will not be accepted out of country.  You will have to pay cash and then be re-imbursed by your insurance company.  I always take out medical insurance and it includes emergency evacuation back to the States, just in case.  I have never had to be flown home sick but it costs a fortune and airlines have strict rules, which will cost you a lot of money.  It just is a good back up thing to do.  You sound young so insurance is not expensive when you are younger.  You may also be covered by your company so look into it and find out.

I only say this because you are still suffering from on going symptoms and I have learned from experience that travel stress can make things worse.  I had to cut a vacation short in 2009 because my Hashi's thyroid disease flared up bad and I went seriously hyper and needed to fly home a few days earlier.  I was healing and the dose I was on was now too large.....and the symptoms decided to kick in when I was in Europe.  I did a ticket change but got re-imbursed by the travel insurance company.  No matter your age, travel abroad should be covered from all angles.

I would plan on going and stay positive but if you are not feeling up to snuff right before travel, you may have to re-think things.  Take out the insurance to cover your bases, if needed, and that will help to make you feel more comfortable when doing this big adventure.  Good luck to you......sounds great!

I'm flattered you think I sound young! ;) No, I'm 47. I'm not sure that qualifies anymore...

My main concern about the trip, aside from not being able to find food, is that my last Big Assignment to Italy resulted in my diagnosis. I'm fairly sure I picked up an enterovirus that triggered the symptoms, leading me to find that I'd had celiac for years and had complete villous atrophy. I haven't been right since, aside from a week over Christmas, and so I'm leery. Last time I was in the UK I picked up a bug (or so I thought, maybe it was the gluten) that made me really, really sick.

Last time I was in France I lived on Powerbars. I don't think I can do that again.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

I would most definitely take the offer. You have time to heal and get stronger.

Your system is NOT what it was and 5 months from now, it will be even stronger.

Real Food can be found anywhere. 

Invest in a Koolatron cooler for your car. I love mine!

Carry food with you.

Use Find Me Gluten Free Apps.

You can do this. Europe is better at gluten-free than here, for pete's sake, so do not worry about it.

Go, girl, go!!!  :D

My Rule #1: Don't let celiac define you or confine you!

Congrats on this awesome opportunity.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

PS >>47 is YOUNG. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

IH's #1 is also mine.  I used to allow my health conditions control my life.  How liberating to have taken back that control!

I would do it without question.  We travel regularly to Europe and find it easier there than here to deal with celiac disease.  You may have serious regrets if you do not do it and wonder why later on.  You can and you must do what feel you need to do!  Go and have the time of your life.  :D

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I'm flattered you think I sound young! ;) No, I'm 47. I'm not sure that qualifies anymore...

My main concern about the trip, aside from not being able to find food, is that my last Big Assignment to Italy resulted in my diagnosis. I'm fairly sure I picked up an enterovirus that triggered the symptoms, leading me to find that I'd had celiac for years and had complete villous atrophy. I haven't been right since, aside from a week over Christmas, and so I'm leery. Last time I was in the UK I picked up a bug (or so I thought, maybe it was the gluten) that made me really, really sick.

Last time I was in France I lived on Powerbars. I don't think I can do that again.

I am 55 this year so 47 is young, baby! Ha,ha!

I have to tread carefully because all my friends here have given you good advice. However, I really understand your concerns. I was very sick at diagnosis and forged on ahead and went to Europe (UK) and did fairly well until that 2009 trip when I went haywire. It is so not fun to be in Europe and away from known medical care when you are sick. I am more cautious now but still travel. But it takes a lot of planning and I use the insurance as a safety net in case something happens. I wouldn't travel without it. Plus, we rent cars and if there is an accident, it could get ugly with the money end. By having this insurance, it really does provide some peace of mind.

If it were me, I would plan on going but if you are still somewhat symptomatic and not feeling robust when the time to leave comes near, I would consider not going. Travel is difficult and requires energy, especially if you are going to more than a couple of places. I do not let Celiac define me BUT I plan trips differently to give me some rest time also and am vigilant with food. Europe is easier because people know what it is over there. I eat healthy and keep it plain if in doubt and have not been glutened......except for once in Liverpool. The first damn night there, in a cafe that boasted gluten-free options. UGH! It was cc because I just ate fish and veggies. But the rest of the 2 weeks went fine. I would not want to eat power bars all the time either........that would not sit well with me as I need to eat real food.

Check with your company about health insurance while over there. They should cover an employee while there, without it costing you out of pocket if you need medical care. Also make sure you have a well stocked first aid kit with all the necessities that a celiac could want while away.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:10 AM

I agree with Gem about being sure you feel good enough to travel internationally.

However, I said "Go for it" because I was thinking that  if you do not say yes now, you may lose the opportunity.

If down the road, things change, well, you can decline then. I would hate to see you balk at it out of fear you might not feel

well enough in 5 months.

Just wanted to clarify my thinking on the "Yeah, just do it!" thinger. lol :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

I understand your fear and hesitation.  I'm planning a road trip for this spring and I'm terrified as well.  I'll be staying in 5 different cities and I've been researching like crazy... possible restaurants, grocery stores, etc.  It's a pain in the arse.  When I first started all of the planning I almost didn't even want to go.  But I know if I let this damn Celiac monster thing control and ruin my life I'll be pissed off about it for the rest of my life.  I think you should seize the opportunity.  You've got 5 months to really plan it out and also to do everything you possibly can for yourself to get to your healthiest place possible.

I recently read a quote - that of course now I can't find - but it went something like, Victory is not about being the fastest or the strongest, victory goes to the one who is best prepared. 

Feel the fear... do it anyways... have a great time... learn lots... and give yourself a big victory celebration when you get back!

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#12 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

I always though 47 (yup, I'm that too) was halfway to dead. Thanks for the clarification Irish  :lol: I will have to rethink things now......

I just wanted to add that an assignment like that sounds like a real career booster.  I would try to go for sure, you have to get back in the game at some point and this sounds like your point!!!

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Oh gosh, I almost forgot.  There is a member, name is Anti-Soprano, and I believe she travels a lot for work.  She could help you with the ins and outs of grabbing quick meals and meetings involving food etc.  Shoot her a pm if you think she might be able to help.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 coffngrl

coffngrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

I understand your fear and hesitation.  I'm planning a road trip for this spring and I'm terrified as well.  I'll be staying in 5 different cities and I've been researching like crazy... possible restaurants, grocery stores, etc.  It's a pain in the arse.  When I first started all of the planning I almost didn't even want to go.  But I know if I let this damn Celiac monster thing control and ruin my life I'll be pissed off about it for the rest of my life.  I think you should seize the opportunity.  You've got 5 months to really plan it out and also to do everything you possibly can for yourself to get to your healthiest place possible.

I recently read a quote - that of course now I can't find - but it went something like, Victory is not about being the fastest or the strongest, victory goes to the one who is best prepared. 

Feel the fear... do it anyways... have a great time... learn lots... and give yourself a big victory celebration when you get back!

Thanks everyone! I am going to do it, even if it is two weeks - it's just two weeks. People have been lost in the wilderness and lived that long on just water. Even if I don't eat anything (a distinct possibility considering the pace - there isn't time to go to well-researched restaurants, it's pretty much get food where you can kind of a deal, and will be traveling with others who like to work up to the last possible minute before places all close) I will survive it. Maybe even come back with my summer bikini body. Haha.

Now I just need to figure out if my mini rice cooker can do Euro power.

#15 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

Thanks everyone! I am going to do it, even if it is two weeks - it's just two weeks. People have been lost in the wilderness and lived that long on just water. Even if I don't eat anything (a distinct possibility considering the pace - there isn't time to go to well-researched restaurants, it's pretty much get food where you can kind of a deal, and will be traveling with others who like to work up to the last possible minute before places all close) I will survive it. Maybe even come back with my summer bikini body. Haha.

Now I just need to figure out if my mini rice cooker can do Euro power.

SO glad you've decided to go!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: