#1 tallypop

tallypop

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hello again

If anyone could offer any advice I would really appreciate it, I’m exhausted both physically and mentally at this point.

I have been suffering with digestive issues for around 6-7 years (I'm 24), however over the last 3 years my health has deteriorated, I am frequently fatigued and my entire body aches, as well as nausea, heartburn, stomach pain. My doctor has found that I have vitamin D and  Iron deficiencies despite having a good diet. I was tested for celiac disease, I asked for the full screen but was only offered the tests below (my results are below)- 

Anti-tissue transglutnase- 0.1U/ml  0.00-7.00/ml

IgA- 1.52g/L  0.87-4.12g/L

Serum Ferritin- 10ug/L  

Vitamin D- 17.9 ug/L 

Neutrophil count- 2.01 ( just outside normal levels) 

Anything strike anyone from my results?

I have experimented with a gluten light diet, only for 1 week after the tests came back negative and I seemed to have a positive response, my energy was much higher and I felt much better, this could be a coincidence though. I would like a full coeliac screen, and if possible the genetic test for coeliac disease. Do you think this would be a good next move?

My doctors have been I'm afraid to say a little unhelpful, I really do suspect celiac disease but because the test was negative I'm struggling to get them to investigate further, I have been referred to a gastroenterologist but this won’t go through for a while yet and the tests aren’t available on the NHS anyway so I’m going private (for the tests). I'm back eating gluten now and feel awful, but I need a definite diagnosis otherwise I could risk masking the real problem and there defiantly is one.    

Do you think I should let it go as the result was negative?

I’m more than a little lost right now

Thanks

Tally

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 foam

foam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Did they test your B12 levels? it can mess you up just as much as low Vit D levels. Although low Vit D puts you at risk for a lot of serious disease so you best fix that asap. Check that B12... It can make you so tired that you can't sleep. Also you might have helicobacter or in the end it could be gluten. The tests are pretty random anyway. If you feel better without it then you are better without it. 

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

The tTG IgA catches 75-95% of all celiacs, so it could be possible that you are one of the minority. Could you have the tTG IgG run? Some celiacs are positive only in the IgG versions of celiac disease tests. The deaminated gliadin peptide antibody tests (DGP IgG and DGP IgA) often catch cases that the tTG IgA can miss. If you get these tests done, makes sure you are eating gluten in the weeks prior to testing or you could have a false negative. There's always the biopsy too.

If you are done with testing, then I old advise the gluten-free diet for a few months (6 is good) to see how you improve. Non-celac gluten intolerance (NCGI) can cause the same health issues as celiac disease including vitamin deficiencies.

Good luck in whatever you do. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: