Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sochi Olympics

26 posts in this topic

I am really impressed with the show that Russia is putting on! The venues are top notch and the opening ceremony was a beautiful show.

I was a bit nervous that it wouldn't be done on time, and the quality of the residences and hotels would translate to poorly put together events, but I'm happy to be wrong.  :) I guess 50 billion can buy some quality.  LOL ;)

I just wish I could see more of it live. Events start at 10pm and are over by mid morning. At least I've seen some great women's hockey and some of the events that Canada has done well in.  :)

Go Canada!!

Ads by Google:

We love the winter Olympics  :wub:

Mogul competition was fantastic last night...Canada rocked it!

Of course we couldn't be happier with snowboarding thus far...Go U.S.A.!!!!!

And slalom skiing....need I really say how much I love it?

Not really certain what to think about the new team ice skating...but was different to see skaters supporting each other.

Also fan of speed skating....the short track is crazy to imagine...but I prefer the individual speed skating.

I'm an ice skating fan, so I've been rather enjoying myself. Not live of course. I am not getting up at 7:30 in the morning to get settled in with breakfast to watch. I wait until the afternoon or evening and settle in with my dinner or a snack. I really feel a little bit terrible and unpatriotic saying this, but I really hope that little Russian girl takes home the gold. She totally deserves it. I've been watching ice skating faithfully since I was old enough to watch tv and I've never seen anything like her.

The girl from South Korea is really fantastic!  I am pleasantly surprised by the little Russian girl too.  Japan has a top notch ladies skater too.  Patriotic or not, talent can not be overlooked.

I am really disappointed about the "team competition".  I have been waiting a lifetime to see Precision (now called synchronized) skating as an Olympic event.  It is a whole team of skaters with a program designed for many skaters using skating skills and enough bodies on the ice to form patterns.  (I am just a bit biased because I have national medals in my closet that prove during those years ~ that would have qualified for competing in the Olympics. :rolleyes:)

My favorite is the ice dancing. I enjoyed the team event although I'm hoping that they can work out something so that it isn't so set in stone so early next time. I'd also be all for even more ice skating events! The more the better. No such thing as enough.

Team figure skating is... different but I won't knock it since we did well.  ;)

Speed skating is one of my favourites, short or long track. Biathlon is amazing. Ooooh, that slope-style stuff is pretty outrageous too!

That Russian skater is something else!

Woooo hoooo....Canucks vs. Yanks in the hockey arena, as we speak....Watching it all on the treadmill..... GO CANADA!    

flag-of-canada.gif

Congratulations Canada!  That was a close hockey game.  :D

Oh wow! That hockey game was somethin' else! I was watching it while making pancakes for my boys and when we tied the game I flipped my pancake too hard and splattered grease all over myself.  LOL

Do you all know how the teams are ranked in the Olympics?  I know some rank with number of gold medals, others use total number of medals, and some use the 3-2-1 (gold-silver-bronze) ranking. I think up here they are going with the IOC style of rankings where gold=6 points, silver=2, bronze=1... Anyone know off the top of their heads?

I don't know the scoring system.  Canada stories from the Olympics are so cool.  Stories of kindness to other competitors and the BEER machine! :D

Ok so today I am taken with the US men's ski sweep.  Gus Kensworthy adopted how many puppies? I hope those puppies don't chew his medal to shreds.  LOL That is too cute! 

We have a beer machine?? That . Is. So. Cool!  LOL

I loved when the American won silver in woman's skeleton today. She crawled over railings into the crowd to get to her family to hug them I had goose bumps.  

We have a beer machine?? That . Is. So. Cool!  LOL

I loved when the American won silver in woman's skeleton today. She crawled over railings into the crowd to get to her family to hug them I had goose bumps.  

lol...I just hopped on to post how much I loved this story...loved watching her excitement to get to her family :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/american-noelle-pikus-pace-wins-silver-medal-in-women-s-skeleton-at-sochi-games-173221947.html

Yes Canada has a beer machine that can only be accessed by showing a Canadian passport.  Brilliant! :D

I love watching Canadian coverage of the Olympics!  I got to see the US men's hockey game as it was being played.  (I don't want to stay up late to see it, and the final score was obviously leaked. :rolleyes:

I've really really tried to get my husband to watch figure skating, to show him why it's awesome. I got him to sit for 2 1/2 minutes through the Japanese kid's short program but his response was basically "meh" and I gave up. <_< That didn't stop my husband from having intense interest when I was watching a bunch of Plushenko videos and one happened to be the Sex Bomb one. Suddenly he was all sorts of interested in what I was looking at. :lol:

I was very excited today. Ice dance is my favorite and I had every faith that we'd finally get our gold since they've been consistently winning all season but they're just such a joy to watch. The Russians were also amazingly great, with the older couples likely out of their way in four years and them far more mature by then I'm sure we can expect more than a bronze from them.

Holy crap! Women's gold medal match... THAT was a hockey game!  It's not often you get such well matched teams. Wow. And when the puck hit Canada's goal post after we'd pulled our goalie? I almost had a heart attack!

Nice game my southern neighbours.  :)

Was a bit disappointed with the outcome of the Gold Medal Match ;) ... then shortly after watching the recorded hockey game there was the tribute to one of our ski heros...Canadian Sarah Burke...her death two years ago hit everyone throughout snowsport circles hard ... her dedication to bringing women's ski half pipe to the olympics was celebrated tonight ... watching women's half pipe now ... thanks Sarah!

Good match Team Canada :)

Congratulations Canadian Ladies hockey.  That was a very talented match up.

All of the American skiers that were interviewed basically said this Olympics are dedicated to Sarah.  Sarah Burke is half pipe skiing, and she meant the world to so many. :)

Now to the special bet for the men's hockey final..... The loser of the US vs. Canada hockey game ~ must take Justin Bieber! :D :D :D

The relationship between Canadians and Americans

Neighbors?  Nope, were cousins.  If someone was picking on one of us, the other would have our back.

Now to the special bet for the men's hockey final..... The loser of the US vs. Canada hockey game ~ must take Justin Bieber! :D :D :D

No, no, no......Not so fast....! It's already been decided. Canucks won the hockey game yesterday -- The Yanks have to keep Bieber....

:lol:

No NO NO!  It's double or nothing now.  This decides it. :P:D :D :D

LOL OOOOOH NO! You get Biebs! :lol:  :D I remember two years ago he played at our Grey Cup (like Super Bowl) and he was almost boo'ed off the stage.... I almost felt sorry for the kid. Almost.

Grrr.  Congratulations Canada.

There is a petition going around to deport Bieber.

I feel bad for the kid, the parents too.  Hollywood seems to have eaten him up, and getting really close to spitting him out.

That was a great Olympics! We loved it in our house.

Canada was third for golds and forth for overall number of medals. The USA would have been second for total medals and forth for gold.  B) AS my boys would say, "Awesomeness!"  LOL

Now we will impatiently wait for the World Cup this summer!  :D

Now we need to lobby for baseball to be an Olympic sport.

Baseball was an Olympic event, but is was dropped.  That's what gambling and PED's will do for a sport.  :rolleyes:

Baseball... Hmmm, I don't think we would even manage to qualify for that - it's not that big up here. LOL

Umm you have heard of the Toronto Blue Jays?  They are a Canadian team (usually hire some players from the US like my neighbor who won the Cy Young award and is currently part of the teams pitching coaches.) ;)

If you can play hockey, you can play baseball. :D