arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Iodine Patch Test (To See If You Need Iodine Supplement) Uncorn People May Need This One.

iodized salt thyroid corn

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,708 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

Ooze it out our skin, WHAT?

Somewhere in the " evidence" presented it says to get your fingers wet and you will leave yellow spots from the iodine coming out.

Honestly, we can't convince you with scientific / biological evidence. I was hoping a more common sense approach would help.

Because this really has nothing to do with Celiac Disease, I am done trying to get you to understand physiology of the human body. Maybe a thyroid forum would be interested in this?

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Diana,

You provided evidence for iodine supplementation helping you feel better.  That's great.  I am glad that you are feeling better.  What I was looking for was evidence tha the iodine skin test would reveal iodine deficiency.  That's what I was questioning.

#33 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Diana,

You provided evidence for iodine supplementation helping you feel better.  That's great.  I am glad that you are feeling better.  What I was looking for was evidence tha the iodine skin test would reveal iodine deficiency.  That's what I was questioni

Are you volunteering to do the study?......  I don't think anyone ever will.  There just isn't enough money in a 4 dollar bottle of iodine and a q-tip to make it worth their while.  Besides of which it shouldn't hurt since the iodine is made for the purpose of putting on skin.  I therefore believe the evidence of it working is subjective..

#34 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Are you volunteering to do the study?......  I don't think anyone ever will.  There just isn't enough money in a 4 dollar bottle of iodine and a q-tip to make it worth their while.  Besides of which it shouldn't hurt since the iodine is made for the purpose of putting on skin.  I therefore believe the evidence of it working is subjective..

wait.  what?  lolz

as a celiac sufferer, i am hearing:  iodine + celiac = dh flare up.  NO THANKS.  stay away from me with your $4 bottle of iodine!!!!!  :wacko:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

i'm down here in the well, looking back up at the hill

well, thank heavens i fell, i must look more like myself.

everyone is so kind, everyone looks like

a long lost friend of mine....  - 'up from under'  - the wallflowers

have a nice day :)

#35 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Somewhere in the " evidence" presented it says to get your fingers wet and you will leave yellow spots from the iodine coming out.
?

I think that was the site I that I found... I found the oozing a bit odd too. Lol But half of the articles I read I take with a grain of salt as so many of them seem half correct. I know iodine can be helpful with low thyroid function, and low thyroid function is common among celiacs, so I find it a bit interesting to discuss ideas that "could" help. I don't know how well testing iodine on your skin works but it is difficult to take to much iodine so supplementing usually does not hurt.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#36 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

It looks like I don't have to volunteer to do the study.  It's been done: http://thyroid.about.../derry/bl2a.htm

"Meticulous research by Nyiri and Jannitti in 1932 showed clearly when iodine is applied to the skin in almost any form, 50% evaporates into the air within 2 hours and between 75 and 80 percent evaporates into the air within 24 hours. (1) A total of 88 percent evaporates within 3 days and it is at this point that the evaporation stops. The remaining 12 percent that is absorbed into the skin has several fates. Only 1-4% of the total iodine applied to the skin is absorbed into the blood stream within the first few hours. The rest of the iodine within the skin (8-11%) is slowly released from the skin into the blood stream. "

#37 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

I liked that article.  I would have wanted more details about the way they did the study.  Who knows how they measured these things in 1932?  It sounded so conclusive on absorbing /evaporating at the same rate.  It is exciting what all Iodine can do for the body and the fact that it can be absorbed through the skin and get to the blood stream.

Thanks,

D

#38 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,708 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

I liked that article. I would have wanted more details about the way they did the study. Who knows how they measured these things in 1932? It sounded so conclusive on absorbing /evaporating at the same rate. It is exciting what all Iodine can do for the body and the fact that it can be absorbed through the skin and get to the blood stream.

Thanks,

D

I think you aren't understanding. This does not prove your " theory" about this test showing you need iodine. I think the reason there aren't more medical studies or even info about this skin test on sites like Mayo, is because they don't test for things that aren't physically possible.

http://thyroid.about.../derry/bl2a.htm

The "test" of putting iodine on the skin to watch how fast it disappears is not an indicator of anything. The iodine disappearance rate is unrelated to thyroid disease or even iodine content of the body

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

#39 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for trying Kareng.  1desperateladysaved.  If you want more details about how the study was done, look up the study and read it.

Here is more where they refer to a more recent study on humans: "From the published data, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine." 

"The iodine/iodide loading test (4) is much more accurate and it is now available from two laboratories"

http://www.optimox.c...02/UNIOD_02.htm

#40 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,708 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for trying Kareng.  1desperateladysaved.  If you want more details about how the study was done, look up the study and read it.

Here is more where they refer to a more recent study on humans: "From the published data, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine." 

"The iodine/iodide loading test (4) is much more accurate and it is now available from two laboratories"

http://www.optimox.c...02/UNIOD_02.htm

We tried.  I feel that I want the correct info on these threads, in case someone really wants to understand.

#41 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

I think these are the corn-free vitamins Barty found.  They do have 100% of the RDA for iodine, so that's good.  They are very short on selenium though.  But I guess you can't have everything, and trade-offs are necessary.  You could always eat a Brazil nut once a week to get your selenium.  They are, thankfully, corn-free.  So you  could get your basic iodine from these vitamins anyway.  And of course there is some in the foods we eat also.  There is supposed to be lots of iodine in seaweeds.  But you should be aware not to eat too much of it.

http://www.vitaminli...CFY87OgodlxkAWA

So who's going to hold notme! down for the iodine patch test?  Come on, notme!, you'll like it! :D  Of course, immediately after the iodine patch test, the tickle test will ensue!

Meanwhile, I am going to look for some canned beets next time I hit the grocery..

Personally, I think even if the iodine patch test isn't absolutely one 100% reliable, the tickle test will prove rewarding.

@ Diana,

Hi Diana,  selenium plays an important part if endocrine function, and thyroid function.  So make sure you are getting enough or little more than enough of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15749805

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#42 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

So who's going to hold notme! down for the iodine patch test?  Come on, notme!, you'll like it! :D  Of course, immediately after the iodine patch test, the tickle test will ensue!

Meanwhile, I am going to look for some canned beets next time I hit the grocery..

Personally, I think even if the iodine patch test isn't absolutely one 100% reliable, the tickle test will prove rewarding.

ok, as soon as i finish my 'running away and hiding test'  :D  tickle test sounds ok so long as there aren't any test tickles  :P  those can get you in trouble!!! :lol:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

i'm down here in the well, looking back up at the hill

well, thank heavens i fell, i must look more like myself.

everyone is so kind, everyone looks like

a long lost friend of mine....  - 'up from under'  - the wallflowers

have a nice day :)

#43 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

ok, as soon as i finish my 'running away and hiding test'  :D  tickle test sounds ok so long as there aren't any test tickles  :P  those can get you in trouble!!! :lol:

Running away!  Not fair!  :D  I guess you are safe from test tickles then! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: