This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Libby's Canned Pumpkin

jmengert

jmengert Enthusiast

Hi, everyone--I'm embarking upon my first gluten-free thanksgiving, and I want to make some pumpkin goodies. I worry about CC issues because I'm super-sensitive to gluten, so has anyone used Libby's canned pumpkin without problems? It says the only ingredient is pumpkin, and it's a Nestle product, which is supposed to label for gluten, but I'm such a worrier about cross-contamination.

Thus, anyone here use it and trust it? Thanks for any help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I used Libby's Canned Pumpkin a couple weeks ago. I called costumer service and they confirmed that it was gluten-free. They were very helpful. The rep. said they have had a strong policy for many years on listing all ingredients on the lable.

I was worried about cross-cont. as well. So just to be on the safe side I also checked on the Libby's Pumpkin Pie Filling and it she said that it is gluten-free as well.

:)

jmengert Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your help! That makes me feel much better; now I can make my pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies without worry--thanks again!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

pumpkin cooks up very quickly and easily if you'd like to try doing it yourself. If you get those smallish, round baking pumpkins, remove the lid, scrape clean, replace lid and bake for 45 minutes on a cookie sheet... you can scrape out all the cooked pumpkin with ease. You can flavor the inside of the pumpkin with all the necessary spices prior to baking if you want. It's very easy.

jenvan Collaborator

Julie--what's your pumpkin bread recipe? i'm looking for a good new one... :)

jmengert Enthusiast

Hi, Jen--I've copied my recipe below, which is from Pamela's Products. However, I will warn you that I have not made it yet but have been wanting to for a long time. I use Pamela's mix for most of my baking, and I haven't been disappointed yet, so I'm hoping this will be good, too. The banana bread I use from her recipes is excellent, so since this is a bread, too, I'm hoping it's comparable.

Good luck! I hope it comes out well!

Pumpkin Bread with Crumble Nut topping

4 tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 cup of canned pumpkin

1-1/3 cups Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/4 teaspoon of cloves

Topping:

2 tablespoons melted butter

2 tablespoons of packed brown sugar

1/4 cup of nuts (sliced almonds, walnuts, pecans)

Beat together butter, sugar, egg, and pumpkin. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. Pour into a large greased loaf pan. Mix together topping and pour over loaf top before baking. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or when toothpick inserted comes out almost clean.

• 7 years later...
Celiac Ninja Enthusiast

Mmmm I am gonna try this tomorrow, looks pretty easy but we'll see how messy I can make it lol

Thanks for sharing. ;)

I'm gonna use a real pumpkin and the Libby's pumpkin puree, two pies and twice the excitment.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 years later...
Mireille Newbie

Hi! I feel so happy to find these postings about pumpkin...it's getting such lovely fall weather and I would hate to miss having some pumpkin pudding, pie, or bread. This is my first autumn as a diagnosed Coeliac, and so it's all a bit new to me...but I am undaunted! I will experiment with some recipes and gluten-free flours, etc. I am actually feeling better now, as nutrition status has improved greatly over the months and I am also benefiting from physical therapy now to restore my strength. I want to really enjoy this time of year and the coming holiday season. Having some yummy foods will be a big part of that for me, as I love to cook and feed my family well including myself. Look out, 2017! HERE I COME!

Thank you for the information and the recipe!

Mireille

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I got a nice Gluten Free Pie crust recipe and one for a Crust-In Pumpkin pie where you blend gluten-free oatmeal into a flour and mix it with the other ingredients, tad soft but works great.

Crust-In Pumpkin Pie

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
45g oat flour
45g coconut sugar
Pinch of pure stevia
1 can pumpkin puree
3/4cup almond milk (180g)
2tbsp coconut oil (30g)
1tbsp ground flax
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400F and spray a 8" pie pan with oil
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the first 7 ingredients and stir well
3. In a separate bowl, combine all the liquid ingredients with the flax and whisk well.
4. Pour wet into dry and stir well to combine, then pour into pan and set for 5 mins then bake 35mins
5. Transfer to the fridge to allow it to set up 8-12 hours or overnight

14732375_1790722407843321_20520026802783

Grain Free Pie Crust

Cooking oil or parchment paper
2 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp. salt plus1/8 tsp. salt
Pinch of stevia
2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Either grease the bottom of an 8.5-in. spring form pan or pie pan OR line an 8-in. square baking pan with parchment paper.
3. In bowl, combine all ingredients; stir to form crumbles.
4. Transfer crumbly dough to prepared pan; press dough down evenly and firmly with hands.
5. Bake 14 minutes.
6. After baking, remove; press down crust with a spoon. (For a 9-in. pan, increase all ingredients by 1.5 times. Baking time will remain the same.)

Add 1 tsp cinnamon + 1tsp coconut oil to the pie crust for a gram cracker like version

Archived