4 replies to this topic

#1 Sand3

Sand3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

So I've been following Linda Etherton's gluten-free French bread recipe (http://glutenfreehom...h-bread-recipe/) and while the bread is tasty, it's super heavy and dense. The first time I followed the recipe to the letter, the second and third time I gave it more rising time. This did make it puff up and get more bubbles inside, so now it's closer to an oyster biscuit than a brick, but it's still something I'm likely to chip a tooth on.

I haven't done a whole lot of baking with sorghum before, so I'm not entirely sure of it's nature, but it's the potato and tapioca starch that I've been wondering about, because it's so fine and packs itself together so densely, if that's making the finished bread very dense. Do you think I would get a lighter, fluffier bread with a different combination of flours and starches? If so, what flours would you recommend?

My doctor has me staying away from oats and corn in addition to glutinous grains for the time being, but I don't have a problem with any others. Are legume flours more or less likely to result in fluffy bread? I feel like they tend to be denser, but I haven't tried them with yeast before.

Would whipping the egg-whites before I mix them in give me any benefit?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BridgetteIMcleod

BridgetteIMcleod

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

I have tried beating the egg white and then folding them in, This is not easy to do. Then bread came out ok but still a little dense for me. The sorghum flour has a sharp taste so I stoped using it. I have also tried the King Arthur Flour cake enhancer added to the bread flour this has worked the best for me. You can find it here:

http://www.kingarthu...-enhancer-10-oz

#3 Sand3

Sand3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

I have tried beating the egg white and then folding them in, This is not easy to do. Then bread came out ok but still a little dense for me. The sorghum flour has a sharp taste so I stoped using it. I have also tried the King Arthur Flour cake enhancer added to the bread flour this has worked the best for me. You can find it here:

http://www.kingarthu...-enhancer-10-oz

The King Arthur one mostly uses rice flour, which I try to steer away from because it crumbles so badly and makes my mouth feel a bit like I've been chewing on sand-paper or something. I don't mind the taste of the sorghum, I was raised with whole-wheat bread rather than white, I just don't know enough about it to tell if it's what's making my bread so dense.

#4 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:53 AM

Another trick I've read is using club soda for the water.  I've never tried it, but I can't imagine it would hurt!

#5 Azenka

Azenka

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

This is coming from a non-baker, but the best homemade gluten free buns I've eaten, that were squishy and pretty soft and very tasty, seemed to have A LOT of oil.

Edited by Azenka, 16 February 2014 - 06:08 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sorghum flour, linda etherton, french bread, white bread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: