Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Tomato Soup Like Campbells!

8 posts in this topic

Totally did it, based on some recipes from the internet.

Mix one can of tomato paste with 4 cans of water until smooth (this makes about 4 cups).  Set aside.

Melt 2 T of butter over low heat, add 2 T of cornstarch and mix well to make a roux.

Add the tomato stuff to the roux, turn up the heat and stir until it boils and thickens.  It might look horrible until the end, like it has a nasty rash, but eventually it will turn out smooth and pretty.

Add 1 c milk, 1/4 c sugar (or to taste, but this seems to get that Campbell's level of sweetness), and 1 t salt.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.

The thickness is just right.  Now if only I had saltines...

Ads by Google:

My go to Tomato Soup is at Trader Joe's . 1.99  Really can't beat the price or convenience

We  have  made  this  recipe  off  the  net for  several  years.. while  it is good I'm lazy in my old  age &  we  really  like amy's  tomato  bisque  with  grilled  cheese  sammies....

By  the  way  if  you  want  a  cracker  that  is  most like  a  saltine  try galbusa  ..... very popular  & good..... they  have been  available  for  several years...

I like it! But next time I'll add a little less sugar. Texture is spot on! Thanks!!

Is there a gluten-free condensed tomato soup like Campbell's? I used to use it in a couple of recipes and would love to have a condensed version.

Not that I'm aware of. Pacific makes a delicious tomato soup in a big carton but it's not condensed.

The condensed soup has half the liquid of the finished product, so I would bet if you made this recipe with two cans of water instead of 4 cans it would be thick like the condensed soup.

Ipellegr, sounds like a good idea. I will try it that way. Thanks.