26 replies to this topic

#1 Angelmomh2

Angelmomh2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

My 7 year old was diagnosed with celiac disease in September then shortly after both my husband and I where diagnosed. We have done a pretty good job of getting all the gluten out of our house. We have two other children that were not diagnosed so to keep costs down we let them have regular bread but that is about is for gluten in my house. We do not get really sick when glutened but we do notice some stomach problems. I have been using rice a lot for about a week and the 3 of us started having problems I stopped for about 4 days and we started to feel better then I tried rice again and we all were sick the next day. My question is, is there a rice brand out there that anyone has used often with out problems? We were using Wal-Mart's brand. Also we use gluten free soy sauce other then that no other sauce my kids like plain rice.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Welcome to the board.

Perhaps try a different brand of rice when you are feeling better.

Some of us also have issues with soy so the soy sauce could be the problem.

It can be frustrating for a bit as we heal and can be hard to figure out what is giving us issues. A food diary can help pinpoint things that are causing delayed reactions as it isn't always the last thing we ate that bother us. It can be something we ate days before.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

Angelmomh2,

It is possible that you don't tolerate rice.  Some people don't tolerate rice.  You could try an alternative grain like teff, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, or amaranth.  Quinoa come in flakes that can replace oatmeal.  If you like oatmeal just make sure it is certified gluten free.

Susan

Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#4 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

I thought I was having a problem with Rice also. I gave my 25lb bag away. Then it dawned on me it was the butter I was putting in it! I am also Lactose intolerant. When I would make  the rice I'd put a lil butter in it. Then when I ate it for left overs, i'd put more butter in it. Only thing I could figure is it was the rice. But I woke up one day about 3 am in pain and agony! And it came to me! It was the butter! So now I clarify my butter :) Yay I can eat rice again! :) I also thought I had a problem with Quinoa but again I was using butter. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

I did better with rice from Thailand.  Eventually, though, we gave up on it completely.

#6 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Are you certain that the pan or cooker you are using is free of residual gluten?  Just a thought...

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#7 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Could be rice intolorance. I have just discovered that I am rice intolerant...ugh. Looks like grain free/paleo for life. Hey, at least I can eat french fries.

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#8 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hi Angelmom, 

I found that non gluten-free certified brands of rice were hit or miss, but more hits, with glutenings. I think it's probably because rice and barley are often grown and transported together, especially in Asia. It got to the point where I decided to do only certified rice, so I stick with Lundberg. It's been fine for me. 

#9 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

At one point in my wonderful <_< journey I also thought I was intolerant of rice . I quit eating it for a bit then  switched to  lundberg  organic  basmati brown rice and have no issues with it.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#10 Nick_incollege

Nick_incollege

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

I believe wal marts brand of rice glutened me, as well. I only buy brands of rice that I know are gluten free or can go to their website. Otherwise, I don't trust them too much - it can have a large amount of gluten from how it is processed

#11 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

we use success jasmine rice and it is labeled 'gluten free' - honestly haven't tried too many different brands.  i use 'della' brand for when  make risotto.  you may want to use a food journal if you aren't sure what's bothering you.  i have an additional sensitivity to soy but i never would have figured it out without keeping track of *everything* i was eating, even if it was just a bite of this or that.  soy was the common irritant.  i can still eat it, just a little at a time or it will cause a reaction that mimics my gluten reaction.  it goes away quicker, but when i didn't know what was causing it i was all like:  WHAT did i eat that had gluten in it???  corn is also a big culprit.....

soy is actually harder to avoid, i have found, than gluten!   and many people who have a corn intolerance say the same about avoiding corn/corn products.   good luck! 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

I agree with other comments that rice can be difficult to digest especially in the newly and still healing celiac.  You may want to wait a few months and then try again.  Also you might want to consider an organic rice.  Rice crops are heavily sprayed with a variety of  pesticides which can add to tummy problems.  Lundberg has a nice organic rice, they are a very gluten free friendly family business.  I see that brand in local stores so it's not hard to find.

#13 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

What certification does the Lundberg rice have that you are interested in?

Does anyone know of GIG or CSA certified rices (the grain, not rice flour or products)

Shiloh farms say they are working on getting certified

http://www.shilohfar...ed-gluten-free/

#14 AndrewNYC

AndrewNYC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

Make sure not to eat white rice.   Go with brown.   Its easier on the stomach because it contains fiber.    Also look for sprouted rice.   You wont find it in many stores, and unfortunately not at all in Walmart.    Truroots is a good brand of sprouted brown rice.   Sprouted rice will be much easier on the stomach than unsprouted.

My 7 year old was diagnosed with celiac disease in September then shortly after both my husband and I where diagnosed. We have done a pretty good job of getting all the gluten out of our house. We have two other children that were not diagnosed so to keep costs down we let them have regular bread but that is about is for gluten in my house. We do not get really sick when glutened but we do notice some stomach problems. I have been using rice a lot for about a week and the 3 of us started having problems I stopped for about 4 days and we started to feel better then I tried rice again and we all were sick the next day. My question is, is there a rice brand out there that anyone has used often with out problems? We were using Wal-Mart's brand. Also we use gluten free soy sauce other then that no other sauce my kids like plain rice.

#15 Lizzo

Lizzo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi Angelmom, 

I found that non gluten-free certified brands of rice were hit or miss, but more hits, with glutenings. I think it's probably because rice and barley are often grown and transported together, especially in Asia. It got to the point where I decided to do only certified rice, so I stick with Lundberg. It's been fine for me. 

OMG I never knew this! THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM!!!! Thank you so much for this info. 

Man, this means that rice can be just as troublesome as oat. This needs to be bigger news. People need to know about this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: