This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Rice Is Making Us Sick!

Angelmomh2

Angelmomh2 Newbie

My 7 year old was diagnosed with celiac disease in September then shortly after both my husband and I where diagnosed. We have done a pretty good job of getting all the gluten out of our house. We have two other children that were not diagnosed so to keep costs down we let them have regular bread but that is about is for gluten in my house. We do not get really sick when glutened but we do notice some stomach problems. I have been using rice a lot for about a week and the 3 of us started having problems I stopped for about 4 days and we started to feel better then I tried rice again and we all were sick the next day. My question is, is there a rice brand out there that anyone has used often with out problems? We were using Wal-Mart's brand. Also we use gluten free soy sauce other then that no other sauce my kids like plain rice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board.

Perhaps try a different brand of rice when you are feeling better.

Some of us also have issues with soy so the soy sauce could be the problem.

It can be frustrating for a bit as we heal and can be hard to figure out what is giving us issues. A food diary can help pinpoint things that are causing delayed reactions as it isn't always the last thing we ate that bother us. It can be something we ate days before.

Piccolo Apprentice

Angelmomh2,

It is possible that you don't tolerate rice.  Some people don't tolerate rice.  You could try an alternative grain like teff, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, or amaranth.  Quinoa come in flakes that can replace oatmeal.  If you like oatmeal just make sure it is certified gluten free.

Susan

w8in4dave Community Regular

I thought I was having a problem with Rice also. I gave my 25lb bag away. Then it dawned on me it was the butter I was putting in it! I am also Lactose intolerant. When I would make  the rice I'd put a lil butter in it. Then when I ate it for left overs, i'd put more butter in it. Only thing I could figure is it was the rice. But I woke up one day about 3 am in pain and agony! And it came to me! It was the butter! So now I clarify my butter :) Yay I can eat rice again! :) I also thought I had a problem with Quinoa but again I was using butter. 

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I did better with rice from Thailand.  Eventually, though, we gave up on it completely.

BethM55 Enthusiast

Are you certain that the pan or cooker you are using is free of residual gluten?  Just a thought...

Salax Contributor

Could be rice intolorance. I have just discovered that I am rice intolerant...ugh. Looks like grain free/paleo for life. Hey, at least I can eat french fries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BelleVie Enthusiast

Hi Angelmom, 

I found that non gluten-free certified brands of rice were hit or miss, but more hits, with glutenings. I think it's probably because rice and barley are often grown and transported together, especially in Asia. It got to the point where I decided to do only certified rice, so I stick with Lundberg. It's been fine for me. 

cahill Collaborator

At one point in my wonderful <_< journey I also thought I was intolerant of rice . I quit eating it for a bit then  switched to  lundberg  organic  basmati brown rice and have no issues with it.

Nick-incollege Rookie

I believe wal marts brand of rice glutened me, as well. I only buy brands of rice that I know are gluten free or can go to their website. Otherwise, I don't trust them too much - it can have a large amount of gluten from how it is processed

notme Experienced

we use success jasmine rice and it is labeled 'gluten free' - honestly haven't tried too many different brands.  i use 'della' brand for when  make risotto.  you may want to use a food journal if you aren't sure what's bothering you.  i have an additional sensitivity to soy but i never would have figured it out without keeping track of *everything* i was eating, even if it was just a bite of this or that.  soy was the common irritant.  i can still eat it, just a little at a time or it will cause a reaction that mimics my gluten reaction.  it goes away quicker, but when i didn't know what was causing it i was all like:  WHAT did i eat that had gluten in it???  corn is also a big culprit.....

soy is actually harder to avoid, i have found, than gluten!   and many people who have a corn intolerance say the same about avoiding corn/corn products.   good luck! 

cap6 Enthusiast

I agree with other comments that rice can be difficult to digest especially in the newly and still healing celiac.  You may want to wait a few months and then try again.  Also you might want to consider an organic rice.  Rice crops are heavily sprayed with a variety of  pesticides which can add to tummy problems.  Lundberg has a nice organic rice, they are a very gluten free friendly family business.  I see that brand in local stores so it's not hard to find.

RollingAlong Explorer

What certification does the Lundberg rice have that you are interested in?

Does anyone know of GIG or CSA certified rices (the grain, not rice flour or products)

Shiloh farms say they are working on getting certified

http://www.shilohfarms.com/certified-gluten-free/

• 2 weeks later...
AndrewNYC Explorer

Make sure not to eat white rice.   Go with brown.   Its easier on the stomach because it contains fiber.    Also look for sprouted rice.   You wont find it in many stores, and unfortunately not at all in Walmart.    Truroots is a good brand of sprouted brown rice.   Sprouted rice will be much easier on the stomach than unsprouted.

My 7 year old was diagnosed with celiac disease in September then shortly after both my husband and I where diagnosed. We have done a pretty good job of getting all the gluten out of our house. We have two other children that were not diagnosed so to keep costs down we let them have regular bread but that is about is for gluten in my house. We do not get really sick when glutened but we do notice some stomach problems. I have been using rice a lot for about a week and the 3 of us started having problems I stopped for about 4 days and we started to feel better then I tried rice again and we all were sick the next day. My question is, is there a rice brand out there that anyone has used often with out problems? We were using Wal-Mart's brand. Also we use gluten free soy sauce other then that no other sauce my kids like plain rice.

Lizzo Newbie

Hi Angelmom, 

I found that non gluten-free certified brands of rice were hit or miss, but more hits, with glutenings. I think it's probably because rice and barley are often grown and transported together, especially in Asia. It got to the point where I decided to do only certified rice, so I stick with Lundberg. It's been fine for me. 

OMG I never knew this! THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM!!!! Thank you so much for this info. 

Man, this means that rice can be just as troublesome as oat. This needs to be bigger news. People need to know about this!

Gemini Experienced

Since plain rice is a naturally gluten free food, there is no need to sound the siren and no, rice is not as troublesome as oats. There might be cause for concern if you buy rice from a company that also does a lot of rice mixes that also contain a wheat component, but then you could check their policy on keeping food separate during manufacturing. Some people may be intolerant of rice but I don't think that is common.

As others have mentioned, Lundberg is a safe company for Celiacs. Read their website, as they give detailed information on their manufacturing processes. They also have risotto mixes that are gluten free and very good.

I have switched to Lundburg rice even tho I don't have a problem with rice, I usually do rinse rice. But I have heard so many say how good Lundburg is, I decided to just be safe :) 

kareng Grand Master

OMG I never knew this! THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM!!!! Thank you so much for this info. 

Man, this means that rice can be just as troublesome as oat. This needs to be bigger news. People need to know about this!

its not "big news" because it isn't a problem. I use any brand of plain that I find. I do like the different "flavors" of rice that Lundberg has sometimes.

bartfull Rising Star

Because I have such a problem with CORN, I checked the rice companies to make sure there was no corn CC. (Some companies "polish" rice with corn starch.) I wrote to Uncle Ben's, explained I was a celiac who was also "allergic" to corn. They followed up with both an email AND a phone call. No gluten. No corn. I have been using Uncle Ben's for almost three years now with absolutely no problems.

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I've always been an oatmeal girl, but unfortunately at this point, I cannot eat oats even certified gluten-free one.  I loved the texture of oatmeal, and that it was always eaten warm.  I tried Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Hot Cereal, but even though it is labeled gluten free, it didn't sit well with me.  

I agree that Lundberg is a great brand!  I ended up buying the sushi rice even though I don't have any intention of actually making sushi in the near future  :) It has a great creamy consistency without anything added, but I do enjoy adding Earth Balance spread to it.  I haven't found the sushi type in many stores, but I did find it at Whole Foods.  I was told in my nutrition class last semester that rice is the least reactive food, so if patients are having a hard time with different grains, a dietician will try rice.

http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/packaged_rice/Sushi_Organic.aspx

Andrew, I really think it depends on the person.  Brown rice feels like it sits in my stomach, but white rice feels like it processes right on through.  To each their own  :)

Make sure not to eat white rice.   Go with brown.   Its easier on the stomach because it contains fiber.    Also look for sprouted rice.   

legcard Newbie

I had no idea that rice and barley are frequently transported together. That is a game-changer for me.  I've all but given up on rice due to

weird reactions to it when I eat it. Gluten in food normally takes 36-72 hours to react on me.  But rice was an immediate clog in my throat. Weird. Thanks for the info.

Because I have such a problem with CORN, I checked the rice companies to make sure there was no corn CC. (Some companies "polish" rice with corn starch.) I wrote to Uncle Ben's, explained I was a celiac who was also "allergic" to corn. They followed up with both an email AND a phone call. No gluten. No corn. I have been using Uncle Ben's for almost three years now with absolutely no problems.

Who knew? Where did you find this out? Learn something new every day! When I thought I was having a problem with Rice this never came up. I will have to do a search on the subject. Thanks :) 

bartfull Rising Star

W8in, I found the info on one of the corn allergen sites, so then I wrote to Uncle Ben's.

Love your new avatar by the way. :D

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I usually buy big bags of jasmine and basmati rice (if I only bough Lundberg I'd be broke pretty fast), and haven't had any issues with cross-contamination, but I do know that i can't eat too much at once. I always give it a good rinsing first, though

Ironically enough, I have a lot of trouble with brown/whole grain rice. The fibre might make it healthier for you, but for some it can be harder to digest. Brown basmati isn't as bad, but unfortunately I have to stick with the white stuff.

Soy and/or dairy is also another possible intolerance. Also, if youre still early in the recovery stage, your stomach probably can't handle as much as you'd like it to.

cap6 Enthusiast

Interestingly my partner, who is not celiac, can not handle brown or black rice or quinoa while I, the celiac, can handle it all.  We do pretty much stay away from any rice (or other grain) as we eat mostly all paleo. 

Archived