26 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Since plain rice is a naturally gluten free food, there is no need to sound the siren and no, rice is not as troublesome as oats. There might be cause for concern if you buy rice from a company that also does a lot of rice mixes that also contain a wheat component, but then you could check their policy on keeping food separate during manufacturing. Some people may be intolerant of rice but I don't think that is common.

As others have mentioned, Lundberg is a safe company for Celiacs. Read their website, as they give detailed information on their manufacturing processes. They also have risotto mixes that are gluten free and very good.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

I have switched to Lundburg rice even tho I don't have a problem with rice, I usually do rinse rice. But I have heard so many say how good Lundburg is, I decided to just be safe :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#18 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

OMG I never knew this! THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM!!!! Thank you so much for this info. 

Man, this means that rice can be just as troublesome as oat. This needs to be bigger news. People need to know about this!

its not "big news" because it isn't a problem. I use any brand of plain that I find. I do like the different "flavors" of rice that Lundberg has sometimes.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#19 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Because I have such a problem with CORN, I checked the rice companies to make sure there was no corn CC. (Some companies "polish" rice with corn starch.) I wrote to Uncle Ben's, explained I was a celiac who was also "allergic" to corn. They followed up with both an email AND a phone call. No gluten. No corn. I have been using Uncle Ben's for almost three years now with absolutely no problems.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#20 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

I've always been an oatmeal girl, but unfortunately at this point, I cannot eat oats even certified gluten-free one.  I loved the texture of oatmeal, and that it was always eaten warm.  I tried Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Hot Cereal, but even though it is labeled gluten free, it didn't sit well with me.  

I agree that Lundberg is a great brand!  I ended up buying the sushi rice even though I don't have any intention of actually making sushi in the near future  :) It has a great creamy consistency without anything added, but I do enjoy adding Earth Balance spread to it.  I haven't found the sushi type in many stores, but I did find it at Whole Foods.  I was told in my nutrition class last semester that rice is the least reactive food, so if patients are having a hard time with different grains, a dietician will try rice.

http://www.lundberg....hi_Organic.aspx

Andrew, I really think it depends on the person.  Brown rice feels like it sits in my stomach, but white rice feels like it processes right on through.  To each their own  :)

Make sure not to eat white rice.   Go with brown.   Its easier on the stomach because it contains fiber.    Also look for sprouted rice.   

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#21 legcard

legcard

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

OMG I never knew this! THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM!!!! Thank you so much for this info. 

Man, this means that rice can be just as troublesome as oat. This needs to be bigger news. People need to know about this!

I had no idea that rice and barley are frequently transported together. That is a game-changer for me.  I've all but given up on rice due to

weird reactions to it when I eat it. Gluten in food normally takes 36-72 hours to react on me.  But rice was an immediate clog in my throat. Weird. Thanks for the info.

#22 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Because I have such a problem with CORN, I checked the rice companies to make sure there was no corn CC. (Some companies "polish" rice with corn starch.) I wrote to Uncle Ben's, explained I was a celiac who was also "allergic" to corn. They followed up with both an email AND a phone call. No gluten. No corn. I have been using Uncle Ben's for almost three years now with absolutely no problems.

Who knew? Where did you find this out? Learn something new every day! When I thought I was having a problem with Rice this never came up. I will have to do a search on the subject. Thanks :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#23 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

W8in, I found the info on one of the corn allergen sites, so then I wrote to Uncle Ben's.

Love your new avatar by the way. :D

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#24 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

I usually buy big bags of jasmine and basmati rice (if I only bough Lundberg I'd be broke pretty fast), and haven't had any issues with cross-contamination, but I do know that i can't eat too much at once. I always give it a good rinsing first, though

Ironically enough, I have a lot of trouble with brown/whole grain rice. The fibre might make it healthier for you, but for some it can be harder to digest. Brown basmati isn't as bad, but unfortunately I have to stick with the white stuff.

Soy and/or dairy is also another possible intolerance. Also, if youre still early in the recovery stage, your stomach probably can't handle as much as you'd like it to.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#25 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Interestingly my partner, who is not celiac, can not handle brown or black rice or quinoa while I, the celiac, can handle it all.  We do pretty much stay away from any rice (or other grain) as we eat mostly all paleo. 

#26 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

When I was first diagnosed gluten intolerant, I found I could not tolerate grains of any kind. I haven't tried any of them again yet because I am still recovering and don't want to have problems. I believe there are many people who are able to incorporate gluten free grains back into their diet again successfully and others who are not. Don't know which one I will be yet. I do know that with time it gets easier to accept the limitations without feeling deprived.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#27 gilligan

gilligan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

I've always been an oatmeal girl, but unfortunately at this point, I cannot eat oats even certified gluten-free one.  I loved the texture of oatmeal, and that it was always eaten warm.  I tried Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Hot Cereal, but even though it is labeled gluten free, it didn't sit well with me.  

I agree that Lundberg is a great brand!  I ended up buying the sushi rice even though I don't have any intention of actually making sushi in the near future  :) It has a great creamy consistency without anything added, but I do enjoy adding Earth Balance spread to it.  I haven't found the sushi type in many stores, but I did find it at Whole Foods.  I was told in my nutrition class last semester that rice is the least reactive food, so if patients are having a hard time with different grains, a dietician will try rice.

http://www.lundberg....hi_Organic.aspx

Andrew, I really think it depends on the person.  Brown rice feels like it sits in my stomach, but white rice feels like it processes right on through.  To each their own  :)

When I was first having tummy issues, my gi told me to eat white rice - not brown.  Brown is more fibrous and may not digest as easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: