This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brand New Celiac

TheLibertarian

TheLibertarian Rookie

Hi. I am a brand new poster at this board. I am 25, a nurse aid (soon to be a pharmacy tech,yay!), I live in the beautiful Denver area, and I have suffered from symptoms of Celiac for about 3 long years but have only recently been diagnosed.

I also had a question:About how long after you stop eating gluten do your symptoms start to subside?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jrom987 Apprentice

Hi!

I can't answer your question for sure as I am new too but I have heard everything from weeks to months. I have been gluten free for 2 weeks. I hope I feel better soon!

There is an abundance of information here. I have found it extremely helpful. These wonderful people know more than most of the doctors do.

Good luck!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

It varies from person to person. Some people see improvement quick and for others it takes alot longer. It depends on damage and so forth.

jenvan Collaborator

hey! welcome--glad you've joined us :) that is a bit of hard question. it can vary person to person. many times is depends on how long you've suffered from the disease. many here felt noticeably better within a few months. as for myself, i am about 9 months gluten-free and am still waiting to feel a great improvement in my energy and muscle pain. i think one of the first things people notice is improvement in their diarrhea or constipation. i had improvement with that within a few months. make sure you are cked out for deficiences etc, to make sure you do improve as quickly as possible. you will feel better though...it just takes longer for some of us. a nurse i am working with (who has celiac) said 2 years is a reasonable time to really feel "normal again." but do be encouraged, you will probably notice some improvements quickly, it just may take longer for a "complete recovery," so to speak. what are your symptoms?

skoki-mom Explorer

Just wanted to say welcome :) I never had symptoms, so I can't answer your question from experience, but it seems to vary from person to person.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I felt I an almost instant improvement, even though I was sick all my life, and severely ill all summer. My diarrhea stopped the day after starting the gluten-free diet, the terrible backpain started getting better the second day, and the awful muscle and joint pains improved so much within two weeks that I could stop the codeine I was on 24 hours a day (I have to take it occasionally now, maybe once a week). The bad stomach ache went away after a week, but comes and goes still. My feet and hands aren't swelling at all any more. My scalp stopped being itchy all the time when I switched from a product containing wheat germ to one that's gluten-free.

After reading how long it took for others here to start feeling better, I guess I am an exception.

jmarie Newbie

Hi there. I have been gluten-free for six months, and I notice that symptoms are a little tiny bit better each month. It's been a long month, and according to my gi, my intestines are still quite extensively damaged. I had been sick for 12 years, though, so I was really quite sick by the time I was diagnosed.

Maybe if you're diagnosed early enough, it will be quicker? It's amazing to me that some people are saying it only took a few weeks. That has certainly not been my experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Welcome, Newbie!

It took about 3 days before I started to feel better...within 2 weeks I knew I had my answer!

I don't know how long it wil take for my leaky gut to heal, though...

Going gluten-free wasn't enough to erase all digestive problems....although I feel like the spittin' image of health now compared to how I felt pre-gluten-free ...

I am now beginning my journey into trying to COMPLETELY heal my gut...I am now learning about inflammation, probiotics, enzymes, amino acids, etc....

Hope you'll also find here all of the info you'll need along your journey.

Love, Gina

4getgluten Rookie

You will learn so much on this board! I know I did. Everyone is different. I felt better within a few days, but I didn't start to feel REALLY good until 2 months ago (six months into the diet). I don't think I'm back to 100% yet, but I'm almost there. Hang in there. You will probably have good days and bad days.

TheLibertarian Rookie
:D Thank you! I have been gluten-free for about a week and I have noticed some improvements. My stomach pain has been much better but I still have occasional bouts of cramping and diarrhea. The severe fatigue I have been experiencing still comes and goes. I still have a few episodes a day where I just want to lie down and go to sleep.

Archived