This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do I Feed My Wife?

IHateSpiders

IHateSpiders Newbie

I have a variation of biscuits and sausage gravy most days.  I leaned from my mom to cook and it's old school,  feel good food.  This has anti-celiac all over it.  I did manage a meat loaf with oats for filler that weekend quite tasty.  She likes those vegitable things and I like meat and potatoes.   I do like some of her noodles and I just found some lasagna noodles for her.  But I put my foot down on bread.  I am a bread man, all kinds.  She wants a bread machine, she says I will love.  I want to eat healthier but I need to learn cooking gluten free, cuz, she says her stuff is great and I'm like maybe next time will be better eh? 

I'm in this for life so I need to start cooking her way.  

Tips and tricks welcome.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Read the what's for dinner thread for many ideas.

FYI - you need to use gluten-free oats as regular oats, due to growing, harvesting and processing issues, have wheat in them.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have a few dinner ideas in the Newbie 101 thread. (in the coping section)

most any recipe can be adapted to gluten-free.

Good for you for cooking for your wife. She's a lucky girl.

#awesome hubs!

moosemalibu Collaborator

Welcome to the forum!! I am so happy to see you are here to learn about cooking safely for your wifey! :)  Having the SO's on board, ready and willing to help during this journey is fantastic! You may be surprised to learn that some don't get it that easily.

Be sure to check out the what's for dinner tonight thread like Karen suggested. It has lots of ideas. It sounds like you have a mixed household with some gluten items that you still eat. Be sure to use separate condiments (i.e. mayo, or PB, jelly) if you are double dipping when smearing it on bread as the crumbs can get into the jars. Make sure your cutting boards and utensils, etc. are marked clearly for gluten vs, gluten-free. Some have used the color red to distinguish the gluten-free kitchen tools. There are threads in the Newbie 101 that may be useful to you.

Big hugs for coming here and asking for help!! :D

kareng Grand Master

I always think that it would be easier if we had someone to feed us - like the dog does. Just the right amount of Wife Food for optimum nutrition, weight control and a shiny coat. :)

moosemalibu Collaborator

I always think that it would be easier if we had someone to feed us - like the dog does. Just the right amount of Wife Food for optimum nutrition, weight control and a shiny coat. :)

I have said this a thousand times! LOL 

Adalaide Mentor

When you figure this out, with cupcakes, let me know. If there aren't cupcakes, I'm not interested. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

Please teach my husband to cook and feed me!

For Biscuits I highly recommend the King Arthur Flour gluten-free All Purpose Baking Mix.  

Open Original Shared Link

That is the recipe for them.  I use their baking mix as a 1:1 substitute used as self rising flour.  Really works out great in baked goods.  Use a food processor to cut the butter into the mix, works great.  If you need a small amount of gluten-free flour to thicken gravy it works well for that, too.  Anything you don't want leavening in you can use their gluten-free flour blend.

I have tried nearly all their gluten-free mixes and they really do their research, they have all been great.

RMJ Mentor

When my husband and I were dating I made him a box of "bachelor chow". It was meant as a joke, but he ate it!

To the OP, I think it is wonderful that you want to cook healthy foods for your wife.

IHateSpiders Newbie

Thanks for all the comments.  I looked at the dinner thread and newbie thread.  I remember the NEWBIE thread because my wife read it to me and then went shopping for a seemingly new kitchen.  She has all the bright Shiney stuff and I got the old stuff...lol

The oats were certified.  She double checks everything that comes in the house.  She puts Do Not Touch, on all her pantry and fridge stuff and on different shelf.  

Anyway. I'll make some shopping list from some of those dinner ideas and see what happens.  Thanks all.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for all the comments.  I looked at the dinner thread and newbie thread.  I remember the NEWBIE thread because my wife read it to me and then went shopping for a seemingly new kitchen.  She has all the bright Shiney stuff and I got the old stuff...lol

The oats were certified.  She double checks everything that comes in the house.  She puts Do Not Touch, on all her pantry and fridge stuff and on different shelf.  

Anyway. I'll make some shopping list from some of those dinner ideas and see what happens.  Thanks all.

Your wife is one smart cookie!

And yes, I have cleverly designed that thread as an excuse for us to get "bright new super shiny" stuff.

It's all a clever ploy. (which I have just revealed....) 

howlnmad Newbie

Co-existing isn't that hard but can be frustrating. You will make mistakes and you'll get mad at yourself, I know, I do it all the time. For the most part, the gluten-free foods don't taste that much different or any at all.

I'm with ya on the bread. We keep my bread and hers but trust me, they are no where near each other. We have seperate cooking utensils and they are kept that way. I have pans that I use for cooking things for myself and we have the things for cooking gluten-free. There is no reason you can't prepare gluten foods for yourself..........JUST BE SURE TO CLEAN UP.

GFinDC Veteran

I've read that some people in mixed households have a separate counter space set aside for gluten food and gluten-free foods prep.  That seems like a real good idea.  Also putting the gluten-free foods on the top shelf so crumbs of gluten don't fall down on it from above is a good idea.  Checking pet food for gluten is also worthwhile.  There are gluten-free versions available, but they may not be labeled that way.

Unfortunately you can't skimp on the good foods for the wife or even pets when there is celiac disease involved.  They need the healthy, good quality stuff to thrive.  It's a real good idea to stop eating most processed foods for a while.  Get used to eating whole foods mostly and you will find the wifey healthier and happier.  Whole foods like nuts, meats, fruits, and veggies are great for the body and actually not as expensive as buying processed foods.  I used to cook up a large batch of a rice dish each weekend and freeze half of it in small portions.  After a month of cooking different versions and freezing you have a nice variety of home made frozen dinners to warm up quickly.  One trick though, don't add lots of spices besides salt and  pepper.  Just in case she reacts to a spice.  Instead add the spices when you are reheating to eat.  That way you don't ruin a whole big batch of food because of  a spice.  You can add all the spices you like to the individual portions when it is reheated, without damaging all the other frozen food when you first cook it.

Sooner or later though she is going to want chocolate.  It's inevitable.  Enjoy life makes dairy and soy free chocolate chips that are good and not real expensive either.  You could try these on her:

Or look up some recipes for gluten-free peanut butter cookies.  They are great and easy to make.  Also peanut brittle.

There's a thread on microwave muffins at the bottom of this post.  Those are fun to make and you can put carob powder or choc powder in them if you are weird like that.

Check out the threads on breakfast ideas or dinner ideas or even snack ideas (if that kind of thing appeals to you).  :)  There even threads on safe candy for Halloween and other holidays.  And a recipe area for lots of great things to eat.

If she doesn't like the food you make her throw this thing at her:

Fun friend for wifey

Then apologize and give her some blondies, and some Woodchuck hard cider.  You might have to rub her feet for a while too.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com
https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/81858-whats-for-breakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/87765-what-did-you-have-for-lunch-today/

What's for dinner tonight chat?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/75238-what-are-you-cooking-tonight/

Dessert thread
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/93840-whats-for-dessert-tonight/page__pid__802399#entry802399

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/97027-super-easy-meal-ideas-anyone/

Good Gluten Free Meals Prepared Using A Microwave?
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/102685-good-gluten-free-meals-prepared-using-a-microwave/#entry885634

Easy yummy bread in minutes
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/56641-easy-yummy-bread-in-minutes/

• 3 years later...
Chrismark Apprentice

I have been unable to discover any gluten-free bread in the store that is"good".  I found that Cuisinart has the easiest to use bread maker in existence   Making bread myself was something that I thought I could never do, but I was wrong, and Amys makes very good gluten-free flour.

Archived