This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Out...recommendations?

KnightRobby

KnightRobby Enthusiast

Hey everyone.

I was wondering what everyone does for eating out?  I have Celiac Disease but I also have hayfever and it is hard to explain.  I usually have problems with the simplest of seasonings.  I don't even know at this point if it is possible to risk eating out.  I am still recovering from weighing 108ibs (now up to 160ibs thank goodness).

Any suggestions?  How do you handle this?

I am wondering if I should call around and speak to managers from various restaurants tomorrow.  I don't know how to explain this to them.  I have an incredibly specific diet at this time...And I don't know if I trust people with my food. 

Actually, I don't - lol

Opinions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I'm relatively new at this and am only dealing with Celiac - no other food allergies or issues - at least not yet.  And I only trust certified gluten-free restaurants.  I did brave an Italian place where the owner has actually gone gluten-free and assured me that he understands the whole cross-contamination thing and it turned out fine.  But aside from that I'm just too scared - I've heard too many horror stories.  If you also cannot tolerate most seasonings, I think I would avoid eating at restaurants all together.  The only exception might be if you could get them to do a plain steak for you or something.  But if it were me, I'd be very paranoid.  I know it's a hassle!  But eat before you go, take a snack, or just take your own food altogether.

If you do decide to eat out - or if it simply cannot be avoided - I would ask to talk to the chef directly.  A lot gets lost in translation between a waiter and the kitchen staff... and the message may never actually make it to the person who is actually preparing your food.  It may also be best to go when the restaurant isn't as busy - I think during their lunch/dinner rush times it is more difficult for them to be accommodating.

BTW... how long have you been gluten-free?  It seems that over time many people find that they can tolerate foods that they couldn't before... and also some allergies go away.  (I'm hoping to notice a difference in my seasonal allergies this spring - although, I know that's not the same thing as a food allergy.)

notme Experienced

lolz - here is my recommendation:  stay home and eat!!!!  :P

the last 2 times i got hit with gluten, it was from eating out.  twice in a row, so that was a lot of down time  :(  but if you must, talk to the manager.  if they look clueless, or they say something stupid, like:  "oh, gluten free.  that means you can only have whole wheat pasta" , run, do not walk, to the nearest egress, haha :lol:   i would go somewhere higher end and not a chain restaurant.  maybe go when they're not busy so your special requests don't get forgotten or mixed up.

good luck! 

luvs2eat Collaborator

Yeah, I'd stay home too. We don't have anything remotely resembling a certified gluten-free restaurant where we live so we don't eat out. We just make what we want at home!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Drive down to Tucson's gourmet Girls Gluten free located on Oracle and River (north side of town). They are open for lunch and breakfast. Great bakery too. Get the French bread. It is worth the drive to feel normal and safe!

I am sure they can work around your other intolerances. Check out their website.

KnightRobby Enthusiast

Alright, stay at home it is.  Thanks.

Archived