8 replies to this topic

#1 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

I got in to see a new gastro, and the visit really didn't amount to much, but at least he seemed somewhat interested in finding a solution to my issues, but he wanted to see what would happen if I added metamucil into my diet for a while, I had never actually tried anything like that for fear it would hurt me.  He assured me it wouldn't but low and behold it is causing issues.

The first week wasn't to bad, it seemed to make me go more at 1 teaspoon a morning, it wasn't ideal but the discomfort after going seemed to lessen quite a bit, I was enthused that it was working.

Then however for whatever reason, my Dermatitus hepiformus started raging at me, hair got super oily despite just showering the day previous, really itchy, the scalp blisters, you know the drill if you have DH.

To be honest I was willing to cope if it was going to really improve the bowels but then when I went up (following his little metamucil guide sheet) to 2 teaspoons a day, 1 morning and 1 night I got wicked constipated and learned online you need to drink a TON of water, so I basically drained our well doing so, and no improvement.  I then went back down to 1 teaspoon a day and lots of water and there wasn't much improvement so after 2 days constipation I stopped taking it.

I've noticed now when I try it, it will mess up my sleeping pattern, like I wake up in the middle of the night and then it's insomnia and a broken sleep.  Has anyone ever had Insomnia or a broken sleep pattern from taking Metamucil? 

I'm taking "Metamucil with real sugar" as it was the only one that had just Psyillum husk and sugar as the ingredients.

Gluten Free since Xmas 2010

Current Auto Immune Diseases:

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

I have used Yerba Prima psyllium husk daily for my diarrhea. I take 1 tbsp in the AM and drink it down with about 2 glasses of warm water. It has helped me to 'bulk' my stool. I have never tried the metamucil brand so I cannot vouch for it. But I buy my Yerba Prima psyllium husk from Amazon. It really helps me and I haven't had any ill effects.

I wanted to edit and also put that I try to drink a gallon of water daily just for general hydration, too.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13

Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October

Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac

HLA-DQ2 positive

Vitamin D insufficiency confirmed 12-6-13

Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14

Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Dairy removed again 10-2014 due to ongoing diarrhea symptoms

Diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis after colonoscopy 12-1-14

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

They say that it is gluten-free and it is tested, but their may be cross contamination issues and you might be super sensitive.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

They say that it is gluten-free and it is tested, but their may be cross contamination issues and you might be super sensitive.

Sadly I fear you may be right =/

Celiac Disease, Interstitial Cystitis, IBS, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, I'm playing life on Hard Mode.

#5 Newtoitall

Newtoitall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have used Yerba Prima psyllium husk daily for my diarrhea. I take 1 tbsp in the AM and drink it down with about 2 glasses of warm water. It has helped me to 'bulk' my stool. I have never tried the metamucil brand so I cannot vouch for it. But I buy my Yerba Prima psyllium husk from Amazon. It really helps me and I haven't had any ill effects.

I wanted to edit and also put that I try to drink a gallon of water daily just for general hydration, too.

I've never heard of Yerba, I might have to give that a try if the metamucil continues to let me down.  Ain't nobody got time for Insomnia lol

#6 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I have used the product for about four years with no problem.  But, that said, what works for one may not work for another.  It may not be gluten but one of the other ingredients in it  that is causing you a problem.  I know others that have had good results (no pun intended!) from Miralax which is quite safe.  A friend's celiac teenager has used it for a long time with no problem.    In an effort to use something very natural I tried the suggestion of 1/2 cup of warm organic apple cider vinegar with 2 T of organic raw honey.  It worked great  but I couldn't force myself to drink it ever again.  ugh!  lol

#7 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm a fan of magnesium!  I'm a big C sufferer.  I tried Metamucil pre-gluten-free, but found that no matter the copious amounts of water I drank, I just got more bloated and it felt like I was carrying a brick in my stomach.  

Here's my not so brightest moment but it really made me think...I poured some Metamucil down the drain once because I was being lazy and wanted to empty the container before I went down three flights of stairs to the recycling bin.  I poured it down and despite running the water full blast, it completely clogged up the kitchen sink pipes  :(  After having to take the P-trap off the sink to clean it out and seeing how it filled the pipe, I decided I was never putting that in my body again.  

Again...not my brightest moment, but I did learn a lesson from it  :P

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#8 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

It's funny because I always thought everything in the world was causing symptoms *but* the Metamucil. Since my diagnosis, I take whatever is 100% psyllium husk - currently Target brand -  and have had good luck (pun intended!)

Must be a sensitivity issue?

#9 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

FWIW... I've taken a heaping tablespoon of Metamucil every morning for about the last 20 years and have never had an issue.  I do drink at least 8 - 10 glasses of water every day too (which you really should do whether or not you're taking a laxative).  I too use the one with regular sugar in it as the sugar-substitutes don't agree with me.  As far as it clogging the kitchen drain, I'm not at all surprised.  Part of how fiber works is that it creates a little extra "bulk" and basically grabs bits of stuff as it goes by... cleaning the walls, etc.  (I know... not a scientific description but hopefully you get the picture.)

I have heard of people developing an issue with psyllium over time - not sure it's quite an "allergy" per se, but similar.  Your system may just not like psyllium.

That said, I agree with the others about magnesium... it also works wonders for the bowels.  I've taken Colosan routinely - it is a magnesium oxide that breaks apart in your large intestine, releasing magnesium and oxygen.  The oxygen feeds the good bacteria while it kills the bad bacteria - because bad bacteria are anerobic and die when they come into contact with oxygen.  It is a great colon cleanser.  Not something you should take every day long-term though.  But it can help "clean stuff out".

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: