This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Vegetarians Here?

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I was already vegetarian when I found out that I couldn't tolerate gluten. (had a TIA and was hospitalized just 10 days into a gluten trial, so no celiac testing for me!)

I also don't tolerate dairy well either. In addition, I avoid refined sugar as much as possible, due to a weak immune system.

I view gluten intolerance as a blessing, in a way, because I can't eat 99% of the highly processed meat substitutes. Instead, I eat lots of fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, etc. I feel like being gluten free will probably extend my quality and quantity of life, because I can't eat a lot of the vegetarian substitute foods that aren't very healthy.

Are there any other vegetarians here? Care to share your favorite recipes or menu ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'm not but....there are one or two or 1000 here. Plus, lots of folks eat some vegetarian dishes. Look on the cooking thread. Maybe post on the what's for Dinner thread and look over there.

zero Newbie

I don't claim to be a vegetarian, I simply don't eat meat unless I have to.  Which means I only eat meat if I am at a restaurant or visiting.  I don't cook so my preferred easy to prepare meal is brown rice from my rice cooker with cannellini beans topped with spaghetti sauce.  For some reason, I never tire of it.

anand Newbie

i have been vegeterian all my life and i live in india... my b12 levels were low 200 and my sister even lower....

u may want to check ur b12 levels and discuss the use of vitamin k2 wit ur doc....

cahill Collaborator

I was vegetarian / vegan most of my adult life until  celiacs <_<

My choices were extremely limited because of  additional intolerances so I added animal protein back into my diet . Not happy about that and I am slowly working my way back ( to  as close to vegetarian as I will get because of my intolerances )

There are some vegan/ vegetarians in these forums ( one I can think of off the top of my head is KenLove)

I agree with kareng, posting in the dinner thread is a good place to start.

sarahdea Rookie

I have owned the cookbook "How It All Vegan" for years and I have many many fave recipies in there. I haven't revisited it since developing the gluten allergy (for about 2 weeks now) but I know there are quite a few rice-based recipes in there.

(I'm thinking specifically of a tomato/zucchini/rice recipt that is delish. I'll post it later when I have to cookbook in front of me.)

However, since you're concerned with processed foods in addition to gluten/meat/dairy, I KNOW you'll use this book. I have it dog-eared to death. :)

anand Newbie

U can try Indian foods like this, when u feel bored to cook..

Open Original Shared Link

Just check the labels to be sure... MTR is owned by a Norwegian company and the food in made in Bangalore, India...

They may not be marked gluten free, but Indian rice dishes are naturally gluten free... No wheat is grown in the place where it is manufactured.

Mtr also makes dished using wheat, so pl Cheka the labels for wheat or maida (highly refined wheat)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I'm vegetarian but not vegan.  I eat eggs to get those animal product nutrients.  When pasture is available I also drink pasture raised milk.  I usually throw together some kind of stir fry with veggies and eggs, and eat fruit plain or blended into a smoothie.  I snack on nuts.  I emphasize whatever is in season.  That works fine for me.  My nutrient levels measured in the normal range.  So did my bone density.  I've been mainly vegetarian for over 30 years, vegan for some of those, and gluten-free for over 6. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm not vegan either, I'm an ovo vegetarian. Love my fresh eggs from my neighbor's chickens!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

The summer before my diagnosis, I went toward vegetarian and my health declined rapidly.  At least I got my diagnosis.  I dealt with failing health for years by trying to make my diet as good as possible.  I too avoid processed sugar.

D

VeggieGal Contributor

Hiya Blessedmommy, I've been veggie for over 30 years but its only since being diagnosed with celiac disease 14 months ago that I've took more interest in cooking from scratch (used to practically live on microwave meals!). Anyway, I've a few decent books but tend to throw allsorts together in a slow cooker or wok and hope for the best :) or failing that use internet sites. Came across a recipe today of a quinoa base pizza I'm going to try which is on the Joe Cross reboot fat sick and nearly dead website which looks yummy and healthy.

Feel free to share any of your recipes :)

kenlove Rising Star

As a vegan for almost 5 years, vegetarian before that and celiac for 9 years, Im always working on new recipes.  As mentioned below, a study of indian food is well worth the effort. I also like simple things like thin grilled veggies with different types of balsamic or other  gluten-free  sauces I make up.  Indian foods with the spices are amazing, even just the dals (lentils) offer hundreds of choices.

good luck

I was already vegetarian when I found out that I couldn't tolerate gluten. (had a TIA and was hospitalized just 10 days into a gluten trial, so no celiac testing for me!)

I also don't tolerate dairy well either. In addition, I avoid refined sugar as much as possible, due to a weak immune system.

I view gluten intolerance as a blessing, in a way, because I can't eat 99% of the highly processed meat substitutes. Instead, I eat lots of fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, etc. I feel like being gluten free will probably extend my quality and quantity of life, because I can't eat a lot of the vegetarian substitute foods that aren't very healthy.

Are there any other vegetarians here? Care to share your favorite recipes or menu ideas?

GF Lover Rising Star

Question:  What is the difference between Vegetarian and Vegan.  I though a Vegan was a car.

Colleen

cahill Collaborator

Question:  What is the difference between Vegetarian and Vegan.  I though a Vegan was a car.

Colleen

this took me a second :P:lol:  

a chevy vega is a car

Vegan: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. So vegans of course do not consume red or white meat, fish or fowl. They also do not consume eggs and dairy. Vegans do not use honey or beeswax, gelatin and any other animal by-product ingredients or products. Vegans typically do not use animal products such as silk, leather and wool, as well.

Lacto Vegetarian: Lacto-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or eggs. However, lacto-vegetarians do consume dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt.

Ovo Vegetarian: Ovo-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or dairy products. However, ovo-vegetarians do consume egg products.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.

Pollotarian: Much like the pescatarian, this “semi-vegetarian” diet restricts  meat consumption to poultry and fowl only. Pollotarians do not consume red meat or fish and seafood

Pescatarian (Pescetarian):  these individuals do restrict their meat consumption to fish and seafood only. Pescatarians do not consume red meat, white meat or fowl.

kenlove Rising Star

Nice Pescatarian church here in Hawaii :rolleyes: 

this took me a second :rolleyes:  :lol:  

a chevy vega is a car

Vegan: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. So vegans of course do not consume red or white meat, fish or fowl. They also do not consume eggs and dairy. Vegans do not use honey or beeswax, gelatin and any other animal by-product ingredients or products. Vegans typically do not use animal products such as silk, leather and wool, as well.

Lacto Vegetarian: Lacto-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or eggs. However, lacto-vegetarians do consume dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt.

Ovo Vegetarian: Ovo-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or dairy products. However, ovo-vegetarians do consume egg products.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.

Pollotarian: Much like the pescatarian, this “semi-vegetarian” diet restricts  meat consumption to poultry and fowl only. Pollotarians do not consume red meat or fish and seafood

Pescatarian (Pescetarian):  these individuals do restrict their meat consumption to fish and seafood only. Pescatarians do not consume red meat, white meat or fowl.

GF Lover Rising Star

this took me a second :P:lol:  

a chevy vega is a car

Wow Chilly,  I had no idea the differences.  Thank you for the explanation.  This is certainly a keeper for my records.

Thanks Again.

Colleen

cahill Collaborator

Nice Pescatarian church here in Hawaii :rolleyes: 

:D:lol:

cahill Collaborator

As a vegan for almost 5 years, vegetarian before that and celiac for 9 years, Im always working on new recipes.  As mentioned below, a study of indian food is well worth the effort. I also like simple things like thin grilled veggies with different types of balsamic or other  gluten-free  sauces I make up.  Indian foods with the spices are amazing, even just the dals (lentils) offer hundreds of choices.

good luck

I really need to experiment with indian cooking .

kenlove Rising Star

there are a lot of books out there. You might start with looking up saag, alo gobi, palak, dal makani.

Also many groceries now carry tasty bites or other Indian microwaveable foods. they are not bad and will give you and idea of spices.

good luck

I really need to experiment with indian cooking .

anand Newbie

Some good India gluten free stuff here

Open Original Shared Link

Archived