This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tendonitis ?

West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Rookie

Six months ago I had to quit playing classical guitar due to tendonitis in finger, wrist and forearm on my strumming hand. Before long, desk work and using a computer were aggravating it even though I'd quit the guitar.

Coincidentally (or not), I felt really lousy in general last year, had the docs run some tests in Dcember, and just after New Year's was diagnosed celiac. Since going gluten-free have noticed the wrist is a lot better but I stilll can't pick up the guitar without the tendonitis flaring up.

Has anyone else had tendonitis issues prior to celiac diagnosis? Did your condition imrpive as your antibody level declined off and body healed?

I'm hoping that as I heal the tendonitis will go away....really miss playing guitar. I realize it's possible the celiac disease and tendonitis are not related, just found their timing rather coincidental.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

It can hit with tendinitis. I personally did not experience that, mine was joint pain in the form of arthralgias, but I am sure others have. My arthritis has improved tremendously in the last year (I have been gluten-free for over a year and a half).

cyclinglady Grand Master

How's your thyroid?  That's how my brother was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  He thought it was carpal tunnel syndrome, but it was his thyroid.  He probably should be gluten free, but he hasn't been tested for Celiac disease yet.  But, yours might very well be related to Celiac.  Only more time will tell.  

I'm in a orchestra band and play the flute.  We all play for fun.  Some members are new to playing and others are trying other instruments, because like you, their are having issues with tendonitis.  Think about playing another instrument for now.  You might be surprised!  

West Coast Canuck Rookie

Might have to switch.  Had put the better part of four years into classical guitar and really loved it.

Am hoping it's related to celiac, but if the tendonitis doesn't go away, might try keyboards instead, it's not as hard on the annular finger, which is where the problem is.

West Coast Canuck Rookie

Also, in the last month or two before I was diagnosed, started getting a lot of neuropathy in my left foot, which I had never had before.

Since going gluten free (2 months ago), the nueropahty is a lot less noticeable.  Hopefully the tendonitis will do likewise.

sweetsailing Apprentice

Hey there West Coast Canuck,

Yes!!  Like you, I had severe tendonitis and joint pain and muscle pain of just about everything.  It was so bad before I was diagnosed that I would get tendonitis from the littlest things.  10 mins on the treadmill, severe tendonitis of my shin and ankle.  Trying to exercise, tendonitis of my hip, etc. 

I have been gluten free for 4.5 months now and things are slowly starting to resolve.  I am now to the point that I can exercise again without aggrevating everything.

I would suggest that you don't just allow it to resolve passively.  I have worked with a sports chiropractor (who is really more like a physicial therapist) to actively work on the problem areas.  Look for someone in your area who does transverse friction massage, active release therapy or specialized in soft tissue injuries. 

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to go back to playing.

West Coast Canuck Rookie

Hi sweetsailing: Many thanks for your post, and happy to hear that you're making progress. Really helps to have reason to be hopeful that things might improve over time. I'm two months into the gluten-free diet, and already am noticing that some of my shoulder and neck issues are less of a problem than before. As for the finger and wrist tendonitis, I'm going to go back to physiotherapy and hopefully will make some progress. Glad to hear that approach is working for you.

These forums are really helpful, as fellow travellers have so much useful information to pass along. My experience with doctors has been that while they are very good at getting tests run and making the diagnosis, their knowledge doesn't extent too far beyond that at this point. Perhaps that will change with time. Thankfully these online forums exist.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived