19 replies to this topic

#1 Bamms

Bamms

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi, my 7 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with Celiac disease and is lactose intolerant. I am new to all this, and would like suggestions on foods that kids might like and the best places to buy them at. Also, is Trader Joe's cheaper than Whole Foods? Could you tell me the pros and cons? Can I find some of the same gluten free and dairy free foods and Walmart? Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Lots of foods are gluten-free and df. So you should be able to do most of your shopping at Walmart. Walmart seems to have a few gluten-free pasta choices. Not sure about bread. I have seen Udis at Target.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

And make sure you read the Newbie 101 thread in the coping section.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm not sure if this is still the case, since I haven't shopped at Trader Joe's since before the new labeling guidelines were passed. But we had some bad experiences with their "gluten free" store brand stuff previously - as in, stomach pains within minutes of eating their chicken stock and (on a separate day) within minutes of eating one brownie. Both were labeled gluten free. Upon further investigation, I found out that many of their gluten-free products were made on shared equipment with wheat. This was shortly after my daughter's diagnosis, and we have not been back since (or tried any other products made on shared equipment from other sources). Perhaps they've changed their labeling since August, so maybe it's fine now. But definitely read the labels for the "shared equipment" statement even if the package itself is labeled gluten-free. My daughter seems to be super-sensitive, as she also had a very clear reaction to Rice Dream (which is supposedly tested to less than 5ppm). So take this with a grain of salt - maybe other celiacs are ok with the Trader Joe's store brand stuff. But I'd be wary of it, and try it very carefully.

Unfortunately, Whole Foods is much more expensive. But we haven't had any problems with their store brand. I was lucky that my daughter was already used to eating mostly not-typical-kid-foods when she was diagnosed, so we just avoid most cracker-type and bready things altogether. Brown rice crisps and rice cakes have become staples, though. They're widely available at mainstream stores, and relatively cheap.

Good luck! It's hard to navigate at first if you're trying to provide gluten-free substitutes that taste like the wheat version, since many gluten-free grain products taste quite different, and kids are bound to notice. It was much easier for us to just switch to different types of naturally gluten-free snacks that my daughter wasn't used to having before - so it was more like a new experience altogether, rather than a substitute for a previously-loved food.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#5 Deekle

Deekle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Also, Wal-Mart has many more options than you see on the shelf.  I have several celiac friends who shop online at Walmart.com.  You get free site-to-store shipping.

http://www.walmart.c...ch_constraint=0

#6 Bamms

Bamms

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Thank you all so much! I will for sure take all your advice:)

#7 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

We switched to potato and corn chips. My daughter loves Pirate's Booty. For a crowd (Girl Scouts) I make popcorn on the stove. Serve with some fruit and the kids love it. It is cheap too!

I shop at Sprouts (cheaper than whole foods), Costco, Trader Joe's and my local grocery store. I hit Walmart for pre-packaged stuff when we are on the road.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Welcome!

We order pasta, cereal, flours, baking mixes and more from Amazon's Subscribe and Save for a lot less than anywhere I've found in the store. 

If you have a Sprout's near you...they have a wide variety of gluten-free items.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

If you're near a Costco they have a lot of options. They're really great about allergen labeling also.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#10 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

if you have ShopRite near you they have a great selection and are much cheaper than other stores  :)

I love the Trader Joe's vibe and prices but since there have been several accounts on this site about people getting sick from their store products, I won't chance it, so I save up and go to Whole Foods.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#11 Bamms

Bamms

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Thank you! I will check out Costco and probably sign up for Amazon subscription. I just checked and we dont have a Sprouts or ShopRite:(

#12 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

I have to say, that I used to shop a lot at TJ's, but now that Walmart and other stores have many certified gluten free items, I do not go there much even though I have been shopping there for 30 years. I can not drink wine anymore and now I can not eat my beloved cherry chocolate chip soy milk ice cream either. Man, I used to buy six at a time! Drat that recent diabetes diagnosis!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

You might check your local grocery stores.  Here, some of the  HyVees have lots of gluten-free breads, flours, etc.  Whole Foods is often cheaper.  Safeway has there own line of gluten-free products.  You might want to check several different Targets, Walmarts, Groceries.   Some carry different things than others.

Look for "regular" foods like Chex or Lays products that are gluten-free.  Obviously, eating an apple is better than a bag of Fritos but kids want to have a little fun and have normal food to share with friends.  (OK,  Mom's do too)   :ph34r:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#14 Bamms

Bamms

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Everyone has been so helpful here, thank you again! I have one more question, is there a handbook that you recommend I buy with lists of things to stay away from? I find it easier to look for gluten free labels as opposed to knowing was she cant have. Thanks

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

Everyone has been so helpful here, thank you again! I have one more question, is there a handbook that you recommend I buy with lists of things to stay away from? I find it easier to look for gluten free labels as opposed to knowing was she cant have. Thanks

Just read the ingredients. Wheat must be clearly labelled. Rye isn't in much but bread or crackers you wouldn't buy because of the wheat in them. Barley or barley malt will be labelled because it's an ingredient. Oats must say gluten-free or they may contain wheat. There are some weird kinds of wheat but they aren't very common. Gluten really can't " hide" despite the Internet rumors.

Here is a list from this site that I adapted for another thread:

Well. that's easy - nothing that says wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, the word "malt" with no other clarification, oats that are not certified gluten-free. I took a few things off this list like beer and cookie dough - because preschools shouldn't have beer and if they read the ingredients on the cookie dough, they will see it says wheat. I added a few things to make it more clear. Most stuff on this list they probably will never use but they might not realizes couscous is wheat or soy sauce has wheat unless its gluten-free Tamari

Abyssinian Hard (Wheat triticum durum)
Atta Flour
Barley Grass (can contain seeds)
Barley Hordeum vulgare
Barley Malt
Bleached Flour
Bran
Bread Flour
Brewer's Yeast
Brown Flour
Bulgur (Bulgar Wheat/Nuts)
Bulgur Wheat
Cereal Binding
Chilton
Club Wheat (Triticum aestivum subspecies compactum)
Common Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Couscous
Dinkle (Spelt)
Disodium Wheatgermamido Peg-2 Sulfosuccinate
Durum wheat (Triticum durum)
Einkorn (Triticum monococcum)
Emmer (Triticum dicoccon)
Enriched Bleached Flour
Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour
Enriched Flour
Farina
Farina Graham
Farro
Flour (normally this is wheat)
Fu (dried wheat gluten)
Germ
Graham Flour
Granary Flour
Groats (barley, wheat)
Hard Wheat
Heeng
Hing
Hordeum Vulgare Extract
Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Kamut (Pasta wheat)
Kecap Manis (Soy Sauce)
Ketjap Manis (Soy Sauce)
Kluski Pasta
Maida (Indian wheat flour)
Malt
Malted Barley Flour
Malted Milk
Malt Extract
Malt Syrup
Malt Flavoring
Malt Vinegar
Macha Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Matza
Matzah
Matzo
Matzo Semolina
Meripro 711
Mir
Nishasta
Oats - not certified gluten-free
Oriental Wheat (Triticum turanicum)
Orzo Pasta
Pearl Barley
Persian Wheat (Triticum carthlicum)
Perungayam
Poulard Wheat (Triticum turgidum)
Polish Wheat (Triticum polonicum)
Rice Malt (if barley or Koji are used) -- just rice malt is OK
Rusk
Rye
Seitan
Semolina
Semolina Triticum
Shot Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Small Spelt
Spelt (Triticum spelta)
Sprouted Wheat or Barley
Stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Strong Flour
Tabbouleh
Tabouli
Teriyaki Sauce & soy sauce not labelled gluten-free
Timopheevi Wheat (Triticum timopheevii)
Triticale X triticosecale
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
Udon (wheat noodles)
Unbleached Flour
Vavilovi Wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Vital Wheat Gluten
Wheat, Abyssinian Hard triticum durum
Wheat amino acids
Wheat Bran Extract
Wheat, Bulgur
Wheat Durum Triticum
Wheat Germ Extract
Wheat Germ Glycerides
Wheat Germ Oil
Wheat Germamidopropyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Wheat Grass (can contain seeds)
Wheat Nuts
Wheat Protein
Wheat Triticum aestivum
Wheat Triticum Monococcum
Wheat (Triticum Vulgare) Bran Extract
Whole-Meal Flour
Wild Einkorn (Triticum boeotictim)
Wild Emmer (Triticum dicoccoides)

santa-dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: