19 replies to this topic

#16 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

Wow... I had no idea Walmart had all those "ship to store" gluten-free options!! I'd say 99% of those items aren't available in the actual store, which is a shame.

I'd KILL for a Whole Foods nearby... I'd be happy to travel an hour away... but not FOUR hours which is the closest. If you haven't read the article and scientific study (in the celiac publications forum)... about the rise in celiac diagnoses in direct correlation to the use or Round Up pesticides in GMO stuff... it's a fascinating read! The Whole Foods 365 brand (TONS of products) are all GMO free.

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 blmoreschi

blmoreschi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

I recommend getting one of the product guide books, such as Cecilia's Marketplace, to help you navigate the grocery store at the beginning. It helps you figure out which barbeque sauce is okay, etc. I referred to it constantly at first but haven't opened it in months now. I can't seem to put in the link, but you can just google it and order online.

#18 motheroftwins2010

motheroftwins2010

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Ive found whole foods reputation as expensive is simply not true. Ive been comparing the prices with our two most popular grocery stores Dominick's (out of business now) and jewel osco and whole foods is the same or cheaper if buying regular groceries. Not to mention everything is in one store so i save time and gas too. I find trader joe's selections too limited but their prices are great i just dont like going to two stores to grocery shop. Ive never grocery shopped at walmart we dont have them near our home and i dislike their business practices anyway. Meijer was a let down and the local store doesn't handle food properly. If you are buying prepared food whole foods will be more expensive and more risky with regards to cross contamination but thats true for most grocery stores anyway.

#19 Nick_incollege

Nick_incollege

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

Trader joes is a little bullshit.

The assholes put "no gluten ingredients used!" as a label in most of their products. Which doesn't mean they are gluten free, at all

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Trader joes is a little bullshit.

The assholes put "no gluten ingredients used!" as a label in most of their products. Which doesn't mean they are gluten free, at all

Doesn't mean they aren't either.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: