#1 KCG91

KCG91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hi guys,

I'm hitting the long run stage of trail race training and I know it's time to start using the odd gel during the run, as I'm planning to use one for the last few miles of a 10m race next month. I like the energy I get from gels so they are definitely worth having, but I also associate them with the stomach issues I had while training for a marathon before diagnosis. I would really like to use them but everything is going so well training-wise I almost don't want to chance a good long run on them.... Has anyone found them easier to tolerate since healing? I could always use chews but I'd prefer gels, if I can. Thanks! 

Katie

Diagnosed with Coeliac and severe anaemia in September 2013

Gluten free 11/10/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I use Gu.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Three of us in this family use Gu...but we didn't start until well after dx....I would give it a try towards the end of one of your training runs.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:20 AM

Will do - almost wish I hadn't used Gu during my pre-DX runs because now I associate it with feeling rubbish! GottaSki, did you use any gels before DX? If so did you notice a difference when you started using Gu after DX? 

Katie

Gluten free 11/10/13

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Will do - almost wish I hadn't used Gu during my pre-DX runs because now I associate it with feeling rubbish! GottaSki, did you use any gels before DX? If so did you notice a difference when you started using Gu after DX? 

Nope...we only started using Gu for long rides and after lunch on full ski days well after dx.  I wasn't able to do long rides for about a decade before dx and my long distance running days ended in my early 20s due to symptoms of undiagnosed celiac....energy gels did not exist back when I was a runner.  Goodness...that made me sound ancient ;)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#6 KCG91

KCG91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

You don't sound ancient!! Just makes me doubly grateful that I caught it pretty young. I had a new brand of gel, For Goodness Shakes, today and it went really well! It's a small amount of very liquid gel (ticks both boxes there) and absolutely no tummy trouble. Thanks for listening to me wobble about it, it just felt like going back to the bad old days - not so!

Katie

Gluten free 11/10/13

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Glad you found something that works :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: