This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pityrosporum Folliculitis/acne

moosemalibu

moosemalibu Collaborator

I got my dermatology consult that I had been wanting for YEARS. I have had troublesome acne on my jawline, neck, shoulders and back for as long as I can remember. I also have a very itchy, flaky scalp.

The diagnosis was pitysporum folliculitis. No wonder my antibacterial treatments were not working! I am now on oral ketoconazole once weekly for 3 months. Supposedly this will solve my acne woes and I'll be good as new. 

Has anyone else experienced this condition and had it resolve? I'm hoping I can finally have clear skin at 28 years old.  :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KCG91 Enthusiast

This is interesting - just this weekend I resolved to have another go at getting rid of my acne (graduation's coming up and applying for grown up jobs is hard enough without looking like a 15 year old in a suit!). As well as (mostly hormonal) stuff on my face my jawline, back, shoulders and chest flare up regularly but follow a different pattern and presentation. Never considered it could be two different things. To Google! Keep us updated on your progress and good luck. 

moosemalibu Collaborator

Katie I will keep you in the loop for sure. From what the derm said, I have micropapular acne. I thought it was cystic acne/hormonal. I was not expecting this diagnosis. So I am very optimistic. I have been searching Dr. Google as well and apparently the pyrithrone zinc shampoos can help body acne (like Head and Shoulders) used as a body wash. And the Nizoral shampoo can also be used as a facial wash. It's worth a shot... especially for the body acne as the yeast there is typical. Hope that helps! Good luck on your new job prospects!! What field are you planning to work in? 

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My daughter (not diagnosed celiac) was just diagnosed by a dermatologist with hormonal acne.  This acne had begun when she was a teen and continued on to the present and she is 25.  The scars started at the sides of her face hairline, but new break outs  are hovering around her chin.My first question was "Why would YOUR hormones be out of balance."  We have a very nutritious diet to help balance our systems.  The result was she went to a Functional Medicine Nurse to try to get to the root of the problem.  She was given a supplement to help clean out her hormonal system, was told to use digestive enzymes, and is to avoid dairy for one month.  At that point she will try adding back in dairy and see if she has a flare up.  She also had her hormone balance checked to see what is out of balance.  It will be interesting over the next several months to see if this can be cleared up.

The nurse said that she herself breaks out in acne if she eats almonds.

D

moosemalibu Collaborator

I thought my acne was hormonal, too. But my dermatologist said yeast - and it makes sense. Because I've had scalp issues my entire life it seems and the only thing that helped was Nizoral shampoo. I hope your daughter's acne gets better! I'm crossing my fingers that the ketoconazole is the magic bullet and I'll be free of my acne!! But I am *cautiously* optimistic. 

• 3 weeks later...
KCG91 Enthusiast

Hey! Long time no type, dissertation season... 

I have an appointment on Wednesday. I have infuriating *personal* skin issues too which haven't really been explained or dealt with so this time I am not leaving without an answer! (If it doesn't 'flare down' again beforehand. Sneaky skin.) 

How are you getting on? Thanks for the Head and Shoulders tip, I'll definitely be getting some when my current bottles are done. I've used Duac gel on my face to good effect but I don't really want to slap that on every night and it isn't practical for my back and shoulders anyway. By 'scalp issues' what do you mean? I've never had dandruff (guess it might be hard to see being blonde anyway) but very often get tiny whitehead/spot-like things on my scalp, they don't itch though.

Hoping to work in research and evaluation in International Development. No interviews to worry about yet though...hmm!

• 2 months later...
moosemalibu Collaborator

Well I am happy to say that after 3 months of weekly ketoconazole my micropapules are all gone! I still get some of the deeper cystic acne but overall I'm very pleased with the treatment. I have started a monthly facial regime with a great esthetician in town so with her care and guidance I am hoping to have some clear skin!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KCG91 Enthusiast

Congratulations on getting clear :) Seems like you've had a lot of hard work pay off since February, well done. I never did go to my GP about it yet (chicken...) but I've just registered with a lovely new GP today so I think I will ask her (I have weird acne just on one side of my face at the moment). Did you ever find that it came and went? Did the ketoconazole cause any side effects? 

kareng Grand Master

Well I am happy to say that after 3 months of weekly ketoconazole my micropapules are all gone! I still get some of the deeper cystic acne but overall I'm very pleased with the treatment. I have started a monthly facial regime with a great esthetician in town so with her care and guidance I am hoping to have some clear skin!

Is this in a shampoo?  Do you use it on your face or just your body?  Do you just use it once a week? I am asking for my son.

Just went up and looked again.  Nizarol is  shampoo you used on your face?  It contains the ketoconazole?  Got to Target & they don't have these & I started confusing myself.  Which is easy to do.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Is this in a shampoo?  Do you use it on your face or just your body?  Do you just use it once a week? I am asking for my son.

Just went up and looked again.  Nizarol is  shampoo you used on your face?  It contains the ketoconazole?  Got to Target & they don't have these & I started confusing myself.  Which is easy to do.

No this is an oral medication that I took once a week for 3 months. I have read that some people find success using the Nizoral as a body wash but that was not the case for me. I had to take systemic medication.

Congratulations on getting clear :) Seems like you've had a lot of hard work pay off since February, well done. I never did go to my GP about it yet (chicken...) but I've just registered with a lovely new GP today so I think I will ask her (I have weird acne just on one side of my face at the moment). Did you ever find that it came and went? Did the ketoconazole cause any side effects? 

Thank you! I didn't have any side-effects that I am aware of. :)

Archived