arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why Multiple Food Intolerances--Need To Vent!

multiple intolerance corn soy dairy nightshades

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Feeling a little overwhelmed and sorry for myself today. For the past 3 years I've been learning about my gluten intolerance.  I am intolerant of gluten, soy, dairy,  corn (and corn products such as vinegar and citric acid), gluten-free oats, quinoa and nightshades including tomato and potato.  This even includes liquor like potato vodka.  I know I'm SUPPOSED to be able to tolerate this....but I cant.  

So, basically, I've been strictly gluten free for about 1 1/2 years now.  I have severe heart burn.  Better with medication.  Most of my gluten symptoms such as numb limbs, face, etc.  and severe stomach upset and gas has gone away.  Its magic as long as I stay away from gluten and the other offenders.

At this point though I'm just angry.  I smile and say its no big deal.  I get by and there are lots of foods I can still eat.  I put on a brave face most days.  I am truly happy to have my health.   I keep holding out hope that some of these multiple intolerances will go away as I get better but........

A part of me wants to say screw it, eat a bunch of gluten and call it a day.  I get really frustrated and sick of being "ok" with it.  Some days, it sucks!  I hate that I can't go out to eat anywhere like every other normal person.  I hate that people think I'm being picky.  I hate the sympathy I get from decent people.  Multiple intolerances SUCKKKKK!  I also hate that sometimes I get sick from foods that AREN'T gluten. Not fair!  It makes me so angry at my body.  

So, I just needed to bitch everyone. Needed to whine and throw a hissy fit!   Thanks for listening! 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

You are right it does suck!

I have been gluten-free for nearly five years and everything else in my signature for two and half and histamines for over a year.  To make things more fun I have some okay periods of health, but then severe flare hits with no explanation -- leaving doctors continually stumped.

It is not fair -- when we do so much to improve our health and our body lets us down.

I hope you gain some of your foods back soon -- keep at it -- one day at a time and celebrate minor victories -- yep I keep telling myself that ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yeap it sucks big time!!! ,, right there with you .

I went into this kicking and screaming and stomping my feet .  I yelled at anyone who would listen ( and a few that did not want to listen) how unfair this was.

Still have my days :P  but it does get better .. may take a while but it dose get better ....Hang in there :wub:

I have gotten some foods back corn,  eggs , dairy :D ( made me  a very happy girl :D ) tomatoes    .......... 

but some foods gluten ( of course ) soy ( that stuff is in EVERYTHING !!!! :ph34r: )  potatoes ( I mean really potatoes :blink: ) almonds ,sesame seeds,shrimp ( really just shoot me now ) and a few others are still on the  never  to be had list :ph34r:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 Maryw88

Maryw88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Yeap it sucks big time!!! ,, right there with you .

I went into this kicking and screaming and stomping my feet .  I yelled at anyone who would listen ( and a few that did not want to listen) how unfair this was.

Still have my days :P  but it does get better .. may take a while but it dose get better ....Hang in there :wub:

I have gotten some foods back corn,  eggs , dairy :D ( made me  a very happy girl :D ) tomatoes    ..........  but some foods gluten ( of course ) soy ( that stuff is in EVERYTHING !!!! :ph34r: )  potatoes ( I mean really potatoes :blink: )and a few others are on the  never  to be had list :ph34r:

How long did it take you to get some of those foods back?  I feel like 1 1/2 years is a long time but....well I MIGHT be impatient.  :)  

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

I have gotten some foods back corn,  eggs , dairy :D ( made me  a very happy girl :D ) tomatoes   

Happy Dance here!!!

ya...i get my thrills wherever i can :P

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

How long did it take you to get some of those foods back?  I feel like 1 1/2 years is a long time but....well I MIGHT be impatient.   :)

,,, no sweetie you are not impatient you are being human :wub:

I have been gluten free since Oct 0f 2009 and soy free since Nov of 2010 ,, I truly believe my gut did not start to heal until I found and removed ALL of my intolerances and that takes time and resolve ( and one heck of a lot of screaming and foot stomping :lol: )

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

I'm with you 100 percent!! I am intolerant to corn and soy, as well as having celiac. I haven't even TRIED gluten-free oats. I guess oats just aren't that important to me. Quinoa? I tried it once and gagged on it. Don't like it at all.

I lost nightshades too for a while. Now, after being away from them for a few months I have discovered that I can eat an OCCASIONAL potato, or a few potato chips as long as I don't overdo it.

Corn has been the biggest problem for me. Makes me sicker than gluten and it IS in everything.

And I hate to cook. I live on bison, rice, and broccoli for the most part. Yeah, I get sick of it, but it fills the hole in my stomach. I would LOVE to be able to eat in restaurants, but I won't do it. The closest safe places (Outback and a gluten-free pizza place) are over an hour away. So I just throw my "mush" in a bowl and live with it.

Like you, mostly I'm OK with it, but every once in a while it gets to me. I just keep telling myself it could be worse, I can still do the OTHER things I love, and, and, and...

Yeah. It sucks.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Corn has been the biggest problem for me. Makes me sicker than gluten and it IS in everything.

This is what soy is for me. It makes me sicker than gluten ever did and ( like corn ) is in everything.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, on those VERY rare occasions I find something that is corn-free, it is sure to have soy in it. :angry: But the problem with corn is that unlike soy, it is not one of the "big 8", so if it is used in processing they don't have to label it. That is why I have only been glutened ONCE since all this started, but I have been corned many times.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

I have seen  posts in these forums saying things like "celiacs does not define me"  or "celiacs  does not control my life"

When I see these statements I am saddened and feel sorry for my self ( not an attractive thing ) . For me my body's intolerances do control my life. I cant eat out,nor can I eat something some one else prepares with out getting sick.  I am continually evaluating foods / judging my bodys reactions to those foods.My life revolves around the food that I ingest and whither or not I have a reaction to that food

Yeap this sucks !

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have seen  posts in these forums saying things like "celiacs does not define me"  or "celiacs  dose not control my life"

When I see these statements I am saddened and feel sorry for my self ( not an attractive thing ) . For me my body's intolerances do control my life. I cant eat out,nor can I eat something some one else prepares with out getting sick.  I am continually evaluating foods / judging my bodys reactions to those foods.My life revolves around the food that I ingest and whither or not I have a reaction to that food

Yeap this sucks !

Very true and I've thought the same thing often....and yes it is extremely frustrating to continually be patient...and there are days when I want to scream...yep this sucks!

Then I have a good day...today didn't suck as much.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#12 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Very true and I've thought the same thing often....and yes it is extremely frustrating to continually be patient...and there are days when I want to scream...yep this sucks!

Then I have a good day...today didn't suck as much.

we carry on and at some point the good days do start to out number the bad days :)

I did  mention that I got diary back  :P

I can not begin to describe  how happy this made me :D :D :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#13 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Ugh!  My intolerances and allergies have not improved.  Now, I need to keep to a low carb diet.  Will it ever end?  

I sat and drank an ice tea today while my parents munched on Chicago style Italian Beef sandwiches.  I assured them that I was happy not to be getting glutened.  The risk of even ordering a salad seemed too great.  I am glad they enjoyed themselves and I waited until I got home to have a delicious salad with chicken.  That's what I miss.  Eating out without pre-planning!  

I am fortunate that my husband is gluten free too.  I guess we were meant to be together!  That keeps me on track.  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

If the only thing I had to worry about was gluten, I'd be quite happy.

Instead, soy is the bane of my existence, dairy (while the least of my worries) is a no no, eggs make me all shaky, my gut just doesn't want to deal with things that should be good for me like quinoa and brown rice, or too much of anything at once, really. I'm kind of in the same boat as GottaSki (almost 5 years gluten-free, about 2 1/2 dairy free, 2 soy free). It's a pain in the ass, but when it comes down to it, I would much rather be paranoid and extra careful than end up sick for a week. It's better to focus on the good things about staying away from the stuff that bothers you, than the bad things about having to (I keep telling myself).

But when you find out that the chocolate in the trail mix you bought last time now has soy in it (!!!!!!!), and you bring your little container of stuff to the potluck rather than eat all the nice food, yep, it's tough.

So lets all be tough together, and keep hoping that some day we can eat some cheese on occasion without worry

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#15 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

I would recomend either doing the GAPS diet or paleo autoimmune protocol for gut healing.
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: