Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Visiting Florida From Uk, Needs Some Advise Please!

restaurants fast food supermarkets

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 lyndaljo

lyndaljo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:41 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the site!  I live in the UK and am visiting Florida with my family in July for our holiday.  My 7 year old daughter has celiacs and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction as to which restaurant chains/ fast food outlets offer gluten free choices.  McDonalds in the UK are fairly good where she can order a burger without the bun and the fries are ok, no cross contamination but I believe it's a different story in the US, is that correct?

We are visiting Orlando for a week then travelling down to the Keys for a week so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can as to where she can safely eat without the hassle of trawling round various restaurants!

Also if anyone has any recommendations as to which supermarkets have a good 'free from' gluten free selection I would be really grateful!

Many thanks in advance,

Lynda.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

Disneyworld is GREAT for G F peeps like us. They take gluten (and all food allergies) seriously. We have many people on here who write about their very positive family holidays there. 

Publix Markets here in Florida have many G F options on the shelves and Udi's and Rudi's breads in the freezers.

I know some people have good experiences at Outback. I like Bonefish Grill, but it can be pricey for a family to dine.

I am sorry I unable to tell you about fast food chains because honestly, I do not go to them.I am sure some other people will chime in here with suggestions for your family. I am pretty sure McD's does the same here--bunless burger and dedicated dryers.

(I am sure if I am wrong about that, someone will correct me)  :)

When you go to Key West, find Kermit's Key Lime store and get some of his frozen gluten-free key lime pie.

It's in a small case on the right hand side marked GLUTEN FREE! when you walk in.

Sit outside by the Koi pond and let it melt a bit (which will not take very long in July :D ) and enjoy! 

I ate mine still frozen because I could not wait. 

http://www.keylimeshop.com/

Have a wonderful time!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

My wise friend KarenG suggested that a celiac support group may have more relevant and current info for you. (I am not really in the Orlando area)..so maybe you could try them? 

Orlando - Support Group
Celiacs of Orlando
12733 Newfield Drive
Orlando, FL 32837
Tel: (407) 856-3754
E-mail: mjones@digital.net.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

These are national chains that do a good job of gluten-free that you might see.  You can google them before you go to see what kind of food they serve and where they are located.

Fast food - 

Pei Wei - small gluten-free menu but good

Five Guys - burgers

Chick- Fil-A  - grillled chicken fingers and fries and shakes

Nicer places:

Pf Changs

BJ's Brewhouse

Outback Steakhouse

Red Robin

California Pizza Kitchen

Bonefish Grill

Most nicer fish places

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 lyndaljo

lyndaljo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

Excellent, thanks to you both IrishHeart and Kareng for taking the time to respond to me with some great information!

Much appreciated!

Lynda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: