#1 Smcleod

Smcleod

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hi everyone,

So i am 4 months pregnant and someone in my family seems to think i have a Gluten intolerance (I feel fine and dont think i have a problem) a few weeks ago i ate gluten infront of them and now they wont talk to me saying that im killing my baby. My question, Is there anyway that Gluten could harm my baby in any way even tho i am not intolerant? Is there any literature online that i can print off to prove that i will be fine and am not going to kill my child. This is getting very frustrating!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

That is confusing.  You have to prove you don't have Celiac Disease or Gluten intolerance to them?  Maybe ask them for their proof that a healthy person eating gluten will hurt the baby?  Tell them your doctor has said you are fine?

If a person diagnosed with Celiac disease eats gluten, they could harm the baby. 

This is for someone with Celiac disease:

http://www.curecelia...s-with-the-baby

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

If you have no health issues, there is no reason for a family member to assume gluten can harm your baby and If presented as you may kill your baby is being a bit harsh...imo.

Does this family member have Celiac or NCGS?  Do you have any health issues other than digestive?  Perhaps this person thinks you are dismissing symptoms of Celiac other than digestive?

If this family member has Celiac Disease and is a first degree relative, perhaps have your OB order a Celiac Antibody Panel...if you haven't already had one as ALL first degree relatives should be tested...regardless of pregnancy.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Smcleod

Smcleod

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

If you have no health issues, there is no reason for a family member to assume gluten can harm your baby and If presented as you may kill your baby is being a bit harsh...imo.

Does this family member have Celiac or NCGS?  Do you have any health issues other than digestive?  Perhaps this person thinks you are dismissing symptoms of Celiac other than digestive?

If this family member has Celiac Disease and is a first degree relative, perhaps have your OB order a Celiac Antibody Panel...if you haven't already had one as ALL first degree relatives should be tested...regardless of pregnancy.

The person is an inlaw and yes they have a sensitivity. i was feeling sick after eating 8 or 9 months ago( found out pregnant and lost baby) symptoms went away. ate gluten and no problem. and again am pregnant and anything i eat makes me kind of sick,. so i am almost %100 sure that its hormones and not gluten. This tension and stress is not good on the baby.. i dont know how to deal with this. oh and i as well have a health issue that (they) also think has to do with gluten but talked to my doctor and they said it doesnt

Edited by Smcleod, 05 March 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

The person is an inlaw and yes they have a sensitivity. i was feeling sick after eating 8 or 9 months ago( found out pregnant and lost baby) symptoms went away. ate gluten and no problem. and again am pregnant and anything i eat makes me kind of sick,. so i am almost %100 sure that its hormones and not gluten. This tension and stress is not good on the baby.. i dont know how to deal with this.

Everyone feels sick when pregnant.  Its hard for you to prove something that is ridiculous.  It would be like me saying you shouldn't eat apples while pregnant and asking you to prove you it is OK.  There is no research because its not an issue.

I would just ignore her.  Say that your doctor says you are fine. It really isn't something you should worry about.  As it is your husband's relative, tell him to talk with them and tell them to stop stressing you out.  This is the time he needs to protect his wife and baby.  

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Everyone feels sick when pregnant.  Its hard for you to prove something that is ridiculous.  It would be like me saying you shouldn't eat apples while pregnant and asking you to prove you it is OK.  There is no research because its not an issue.

I would just ignore her.  Say that your doctor says you are fine. It really isn't something you should worry about.  As it is your husband's relative, tell him to talk with them and tell them to stop stressing you out.  This is the time he needs to protect his wife and baby.  

Ditto and ditto.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Wow! Thats crazy! I feel the same way! I feel they need to prove to you that you shouldn't eat it. I'm sure your Dr. Gave you a good diet to go on being preggers. Show them that or look on line for a good pregnancy diet print it off and show it to them. How frustrating for you! Ohh and Congrats!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: not celiac, pregnant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: