10 replies to this topic

#1 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

I'm sure everyone's got at least one. The kind of quirk that affects how and what you eat that has nothing to do with health, nutrition or disorder. C'mon, let's have a little fun with food! :-)

I'll start. For as long as I can remember, I absolutely can NOT tolerate...banana strings. Every time I peel or eat a banana, I have to search it thoroughly to make sure I won't eat one of the strings by accident. They don't taste any different, they won't hurt me I know. But the thought of eating one grosses me OUT!! I don't even like the feel of them on my fingers if they swing around and stick to them. EEEWWW! :blink:

Ok, who else out there is willing to admit to having this kind of weirdness?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

I'm right there with you on banana strings! I've always had to peel them all off too. Not only that, but I won't eat a banana unless it has lots of salt on it. My grandfather taught me to salt them when I was a little kid and they are really good that way. Once when I was working in an ice cream shop I saw one of my customers salting the banana on her banana split. I said, "Hey! I thought I was the only one who did that!" And you know what? She told me HER grandfather taught her to do that!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

what about watermelon with salt on it?

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Since I was little I've always eaten one food on my plate at a time, then moved on to the next one. Apparently this is a trait my uncle has as well. I also always ate my things like Lucky Charms a particular way, the cereal first, then each type of marshmallow one at a time. Fruit Loops were one color at a time. Things like that. I started before I can remember. I remember even at 3 or 4 I'd go hungry if I had to rather than break my habit if my mom was dragging me out of the house. I still eat my foods one at a time, not sure why and I don't do it on purpose. I tried to break the habit once but it was uncomfortable to do and it isn't hurting anything so I just eat how I eat.

Also, I like to salt my melons of all types. I learned it from my grandfather. :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 tonalynn

tonalynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'm not much for salt, so I've never tried it on fruit. The only thing I've ever added salt to is cottage cheese.

I eat (or ate) Lucky Charms the exact same way! In the 80's there was Pac Man cereal, the habit started with that. It made the "fun" last longer to eat it that way. :-)

When I was a kid, I refused to eat mixed-up foods like a vegetable medley, peas & carrots, that kind of thing. The picture I had in my head of how your stomach was set up was a vast and complicated set of "compartments" for each food. If I ate two mixed foods, the compartments couldn't separate them, so that's how you got a stomachache. Oddly enough, there were compartments for pizza, soup, waffles with butter and syrup, but not things like salad. Go figure..... :-)

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Before I quit dairy I used to like to put cottage cheese onto hot, cooked veggies - the cheese would melt and get all gooey... Yum. I know a lot of people eat cottage cheese with fruit but that just seems odd to me.  LOL

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

I LOVE cottage cheese! And like you, I don't like it with fruit. I was never crazy about pasta so if I was having spaghetti sauce I would heat the sauce (but not TOO hot) and pour it over cottage cheese. I also prefer cottage cheese instead of salad dressing. And when I used to live where I could get edible fish and chips, I always asked for a side of cottage cheese instead of cole slaw.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Since I was little I've always eaten one food on my plate at a time, then moved on to the next one. Apparently this is a trait my uncle has as well. I also always ate my things like Lucky Charms a particular way, the cereal first, then each type of marshmallow one at a time. Fruit Loops were one color at a time. Things like that. I started before I can remember. I remember even at 3 or 4 I'd go hungry if I had to rather than break my habit if my mom was dragging me out of the house. I still eat my foods one at a time, not sure why and I don't do it on purpose. I tried to break the habit once but it was uncomfortable to do and it isn't hurting anything so I just eat how I eat.

Me too! I would eat in order starting with the healthiest. As a teenager, I also would divide my M&Ms by color and start with the smallest pile first. I used to also get very upset if my food groups touched each other. My mom tried buying me a plate with dividers once but I was insulted. Ha!

Once I hit my Tweens, I also had to eat an even number of items and sip an even number of sips. This remained until I changed my diet, ahem, and my OCD resolved! Now there's nothing better than three pieces of bacon! :P
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#9 Fenrir

Fenrir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

I didn't know this until I got married but the wife pointed out that I eat one item at a time in a clockwise way.

I also have issues with textures of food. Eggs make me gag.

Abdominal Pain/GI symptoms started= ~01/02/2014

Gallbladder out= 02/20/14

tTG IgA Postive= 03/21/14

DX via Biopsy (Marsh 3b)= 04/21/14

Celiac Antibodies within Normal range(Gluten free diet)= 10/23/2014

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

I didn't know this until I got married but the wife pointed out that I eat one item at a time in a clockwise way.

I also have issues with textures of food. Eggs make me gag.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've never paid attention to whether or not I have a direction but I'm curious now.

My husband is a huge texture freak. It's a real challenge feeding him sometimes.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

I LOVE runny egg yolks, on toast and homefries and whatever else, and my boyfriend

thinks it's the most disgusting thing ever ingested by man hahahahahah!!!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: