This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy And Colonoscopy Whilst On Warfarin?

yabson

yabson Newbie

Hi

I was diagnosed with a Pulmonary Emboli on 11th Jan 14 after being treated for 3 months for a chest infection and asthma!

Whilst in the hospital the consultant asked me how long I had Iron deficiency Anemia for, my HB was 9. This was news to me so they started me on 3*Ferrous Fumarate (210mg). They then also advised that the stomach scan was showing fecal load so I was constipated (again news to me), but, having since looked at the Bristol Stool Chart I probably would fall into that category and have for some time.  The Doc then suggested I may be celiac, my father and two elder sisters are celiac.

I now need to go in for an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy and D2 Biopsy on 20th March - not sure why both?

As my clot is new I am still on warfarin and have been chasing the hospital for the best part of a week on what I need to do as I don't want to come off warfarin and risk another clot. Has anyone had this procedure whilst on warfarin?

They did take bloods when I was in hospital to test for celiac but they seem to have vanished and nobody seems to have the results.

My main symptoms are the Iron Deficiency Anemia, constipation, thin nails, thin breaking hair, blood clot.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I think something as serious as the safety of medical procedure while on Warfarin, is best left to your doctors to decide. I would ask them to re- do the blood tests they have lost.

cahill Collaborator

Most times in procedures/ biopsy  such as this your doctor will have you stop the warfarin  3  days before the procedure .

I can not stress this enough You need to consult a doctor who is aware of ALL  the facts about this.

RMJ Mentor

Definitely a question for your doctors. I didn't have an endoscopy/biopsy because I have a bleeding disorder.

psawyer Proficient

I now need to go in for an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy and D2 Biopsy on 20th March - not sure why both?

Welcome to our community.

To the question in the quote, there are other things that can cause symptoms similar to celiac disease, and celiac disease is associated with other issues, including colon cancer. Even if you do have celiac disease, it is important to have the colonoscopy to be sure that you do not have other issues as well.

As to the warfarin question, nobody here knows your specifics, and even if we did, none of us are qualified to give a medical opinion. Talk with your doctor about this, make sure they know about your concerns, and then TAKE THEIR ADVICE.

124chicksinger Apprentice

This week I had scoping on both ends at the same time.  The colonoscopy was my first "routine" and the upper endoscopy was a bonus to look for celiac. There were issues found at both ends.  I may not have celiac, but there is inflammation in the upper scope and biopsies were taken all the way down, esophagus, stomach, small intestines.  So definitely to check for celiac, and possible other issues, is the upper - the doctor might as well look up the other end while you are unconscious. Its a 2 for 1~!

Like the others, I can offer no advice on the Warfarin question, but I can offer that while the idea of the scopes was nervewracking, and everyone warned me about the prep the day before--neither were as bad as I expected, so don't be nervous about the scopings. 

• 3 weeks later...
yabson Newbie

Hi All

Thanks for the great advice, I just thought I would update what happened just incase anyone else ends up in this situation. The warfarin was stopped 1 week before the procedures (7days) and 4 days before the procedure I started self injections of innohep.  I am still on the injections post procedure, but, the warfarin re-started immediate after the procedure, when the bloods are thin enough the injections will cease.

The colonoscopy and endoscopy are both clear so just waiting results of the biopsy's taken for celiac (prob another couple weeks).

Again I just wanted to thank everyone who had commented and given me sound advice as I was at my wits end with what needed to happen/do.  The problem in the UK is we do not have close links between doctors (gp) and consultants at the hospitals so things go a bit pear shaped.

I will post the results of my biopsy when I get them.

Until then I am on High Iron as the reckon if I don't have celiac then I may have IDA as a result of the many ultra marathons etc I do and a diet poor in Iron.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived