This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stopped Gluten, Still Issues, Blurry Vision, Overnight Issues...

HitByTrain

HitByTrain Newbie

Hey, I know I'm a celiac and I have stopped all gluten but something else is going on. Here's the major symptoms that I cannot improve.

I have to eat right at bedtime (almost a full meal) or I wake up with the most upset stomach on earth. I'll be heading to the bathroom in minutes. If I don't eat right away upon waking it's the same deal.

Recently, I can hardly see. I don't know what's going on but when I wake up I can hardly see (what I mean is text on my computer screen) but during the day at random times. *POOF* I can see fine.

I started having night sweats again.

I eat certain foods (not sure which, soy I think) and my legs get really sweaty and I get very hot. During the day at the most random times I go from hot to cold. By hot, I'm in a t-shirt by cold I'm in a down jacket. I weight 158 pounds down from 285. I lost the weight exercising like a maniac. Now I'm reading that may not have been such a good thing.

Gluten even in the most minute amounts (I cannot share butter with my family) will make me throw up, have numb lips, and a very severe allergic reaction. I don't throw up right away, it takes about 3 or 4 hours to get there. Benadryl, the maximum dose usually rescues me but that's when it's cross-contamination. I'm terrified to think of what happens if I eat real bread some day.

I have skin the peels off the inside of my mouth. Intermittent headaches (very mild), pre-gluten they were migraines.

My feet always sweat and I mean a lot.

All of this started back in  June of 2012 and I'm just now putting the pieces together. I tested negative to Addison's and Thyroid but I still suspect thyroid because my dad has it.

I always have brain fog (well it came with the blurry vision).

I wonder about being diabetic. I know my sugars can go very high but that was from gluten. Does anyone know can you test diabetes with just a regular blood sugar meter? I don't have insurance right now so I'm doing this all on my own.

Oh and uh, I'm a married white male with 3 kids seeking someone who knows everything. :rolleyes: .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Diabetes? Go to Blood Sugar 101 and there is a section about how to test your blood glucose levels if you do not have insurance or just want to know. Doctors will typically not give you a meter or strips until your are actually diabetic. You can buy a cheap meter at Walmart and the strips are less than 50 cents. Total cost about $30. It is pretty accurate and will give you an idea on where you stand. The site gives you tons of information too and it is well documented. Go to YouTube to learn how to use the meter.

If you look like you are diabetic, than get to a doctor. Do not mess around. You would need to find out what type of diabetes you have for proper treatment. I would not mess around if my eyes were acting up!

HitByTrain Newbie

Diabetes? Go to Blood Sugar 101 and there is a section about how to test your blood glucose levels if you do not have insurance or just want to know. Doctors will typically not give you a meter or strips until your are actually diabetic. You can buy a cheap meter at Walmart and the strips are less than 50 cents. Total cost about $30. It is pretty accurate and will give you an idea on where you stand. The site gives you tons of information too and it is well documented. Go to YouTube to learn how to use the meter.

If you look like you are diabetic, than get to a doctor. Do not mess around. You would need to find out what type of diabetes you have for proper treatment. I would not mess around if my eyes were acting up!

I have a tester from my mom as she's diabetic I just don't know how I would use it to test my sugar. Like would I drink 20 ounces of kool-aid on an empty stomach and then test it an hour later? I'll go read the blood sugar 101 section. Thank you!!!

cyclinglady Grand Master

The website will explain in detail how to test. You can go to YouTube to find out how to use the meter. No, Kool-aid -- just a plan boiled and peeled potato, cup of rice or a bagel (but that is not an option for celiacs).

dilettantesteph Collaborator

How long have you been gluten free?  It can take some time to heal fully.  It can also take some time to stop making mistakes with the gluten free diet.  

nvsmom Community Regular

Welcome to the board.

I wonder about being diabetic. I know my sugars can go very high but that was from gluten. Does anyone know can you test diabetes with just a regular blood sugar meter? I don't have insurance right now so I'm doing this all on my own.

Gluten will not affect your blood sugar much. It's technically a protein, and proteins don't spike sugar much. Carbohydrates are the things that affect your blood sugar, and any flour will do it whether it's gluten filled like wheat, and rye, or gluten-free like corn starch, and tapioca starch.

I do agree though that if you think diabetes is a possibility, then you should see your doctor. You've listed a lot of symptoms so it might be good to check it out.  If you do have access to a glucose metre, checking your fasting blood glucose can often tell you if you are having problems can be helpful. If your FBG is between 100 to 125 you are headed for trouble, and if it is above 126, then you've already arrived at trouble. Fast for 12 hours before testing. Open Original Shared Link

Some of your symptoms could be due to a thyroid problem like Graves. Google the symptoms and see if it fits. TSH, free T4 and free T3, as well as TPO Ab would be good tests to ask for.

LOL And you don't need "someone who knows everything", you're already married.  LOL ;)

mommida Enthusiast

Weight loss that happened that quickly can mess with your gall bladder.  A full blown gall bladder attack is a crazy assault on your body.  (I can't even think of words to describe it. My issues may have been triggered by 30 lbs of weight loss, the F's ~ Female, Forty, Fertile, & Fair (risk description of usual patients)  ((Glad to be a man aren't cha?))

Untreated Celiacs have reported issues of non functioning gallbladder.  (Some have had the gall bladders removed before finally being diagnosed with Celiac.)  Issues seem to be resolved on a gluten free diet for most and you aren't in the highest risk bracket.

If you have time look into ketosis in weight loss vs. ketosis in diabetes.  (I have a vague recollection of hearing something about that, but I don't know if I will have time to look anything up for you)

If there was anything funky with my eyes I would get someone to look at me pronto!!!!!!  R retinal rip/ tear + possible detachment is basically a medical timebomb.  Vision is lost by the minute.  You don't have to experience any type of pain, and not even suffer any type of injury, and there really is no known reason for why it happens to some people.  (The only known risk factor is family history.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Did you get a full panel for the thyroid?  My doctors just did TSH and when I finally did get the panel we discovered my thyroid wasn't working optimally.  Have you had nutrients checked?  Vitamin A  can cause problems with vision according to my children's anatomy book.  I wouldn't necessarily take vitamin A without testing as too much is not good.  My brain fog seemed to do with further intolerances and vitamin deficiencies.  Vitamin deficiencies for me including ferritin, vitamin A, vitamin B.

I would working on making sure your blood sugar is as stable as possible. Are you taking digestive enzymes which would help to break down your food if the pancreas isn't doing well. For my blood sugar, I avoid sweets, limit fruits and especially have no fruit juice.  I take 2-3 oz of protein food at every meal.  With this I have about 27 carbs and about 1 Tspn of fat.  You may need more, but keep the same proportions. 1 med. potato is about 27 carbs.  You can print off a chart of the number of carbs in things and in a week or two you will likely have it down.

You might try keeping track of what you eat to see if anything lessens or increases symptoms.  I have a rotational plan in which I don't repeat foods 4 four days after eating them for one.  This helps to identify problem foods.  Some people like to try SCD diet (grainless), paleo, or elimination diet to find other intolerances.

Were you with symptoms a very long time undiagnosed?  I was, and though I had avoided doctors for many years, for this it became so complicated that I sought help.  In fact I talk with an MD, chiropractor, and functional medicine nurse backed by and osteopathic doctor.  I still do much studying myself and all of these have helped very much.

I hope you will find the help you need.  Brain fog is NOT FUN in my book.  And now I know it isn't normal either.  Keep heading in the right direction. Mine cleared after 30 years of it.  It took a while and much detective work.  Keep on keeping on.

D

Archived