This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could You Just Try It? Grrr...

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I am recovering from a foot wound and was told by a Dr. And nurse to eat more protein to help it heal faster. DR. Was displeased with my eating beef and bacon because of the fat. Urged me to eat beans. I love beans and normally eat them daily but the strong antibiotics I am in are caused big D so... Trying not to eat so many seeds, nuts and beans.

I try not to eat soy as it causes me to have thyroid problems. Am intolerant to all dairy, eggs, lamb, chicken, fish, shellfish, some nuts and many other things. Due to gastoparesis, I don't digest meat well and might puke it up. Since I am not supposed to walk, I am trying not to deliberately eat that which would cause distress involving the toilet from either end!

But today I got into it with two different people. One pushing me to eat tuna and the other, dairy. Dairy is forbidden with this antibiotic I am taking. But I know how ill it makes me. Runs right through me and also causes ear and sinus trouble. Not sure what tuna does as I never ate much if it, but when the test showed positive, I gave it up.

So... What can I say to people who urge me to try that which will sicken me? They are angry that I won't try their suggestions. The one person even pointed out that their are many kinds of dairy. Yeah. And the all make me sick!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sorry folks are putting you into such an uncomfortable position with everything with which you are having to deal with right now. Unless these folks are ones you live with the easiest thing (IMHO) might be just to say "thanks for trying to help. I will take that into consideration" and then change the subject. They may just be trying to be helpful but unfortunately some folks just won't understand and some think they know everything and it just isn't worth wasteing your time and energy trying to make them understand.

Juliebove Rising Star

Sorry folks are putting you into such an uncomfortable position with everything with which you are having to deal with right now. Unless these folks are ones you live with the easiest thing (IMHO) might be just to say "thanks for trying to help. I will take that into consideration" and then change the subject. They may just be trying to be helpful but unfortunately some folks just won't understand and some think they know everything and it just isn't worth wasteing your time and energy trying to make them understand.

Thanks! I don't live with them. However my fear was that they would bring me a case of this stuff from Costco because they know that I can't get out. Worse still they might come over and not leave until they saw me try it. I do think the one person is senile. She called me throughout the night to scream at me and tell me that I was being abusive and rude to her over the tuna. She once literally tried to force my daughter to eat wheat crackers for her upset stomach, so I know how she can get. This after my having to leave her there while I got a flat tire fixed.

mamaw Community Regular

Sorry  for  all the  crazies who  are  trying  to  interfere with  your  recovery!  All though  I'm sure  they  think  they are  helping  in some  way....people  do  odd  things  in the name  of  helping others but  it is  probably  what  they  feel  they  can help  with!!!!!  Sure  doesn't  help  making  you  stressed  when  you are  healing  &  feel  bad  enough....

But  for the one  who  called  you  during the night  time  I  would  stop that  at  any cost...she  just is not  worth  putting up  with.. NO  calls  except  emergency calls  should  be  made a t  bedtime....our  house  rule...

Hope  ypou heal  fast  & feel better  soon....hugs

Juliebove Rising Star

Sorry  for  all the  crazies who  are  trying  to  interfere with  your  recovery!  All though  I'm sure  they  think  they are  helping  in some  way....people  do  odd  things  in the name  of  helping others but  it is  probably  what  they  feel  they  can help  with!!!!!  Sure  doesn't  help  making  you  stressed  when  you are  healing  &  feel  bad  enough....

But  for the one  who  called  you  during the night  time  I  would  stop that  at  any cost...she  just is not  worth  putting up  with.. NO  calls  except  emergency calls  should  be  made a t  bedtime....our  house  rule...

Hope  ypou heal  fast  & feel better  soon....hugs

Agree. I really think she is not right in the head, perhaps due to senility. She'll be 80 soon. And because I am stuck here on the couch, I can not go see her like I usually do. I did contact the relative who will see her today and alerted her of what she did. For a time, I was getting frantic late night phone calls from her. She would say that something terrible had happened. So terrible that she could not bring herself to speak of it. Then she'd hang up. When I spoke to her later, she accused me of lying! The bad thing is that she is very controlling. Because of this, I do not invite her here. But since my operation, she has come in here and turned the house topsy turvy claiming that she was helping and I was being ungrateful. Thankfully another relative was here to witness, the same who is going to see her today. She got her out of here before she did more damage or lost her purse again. Lost it 3 times in a 15 minute period.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

"I can't eat that. It will make me sick" is more than enough of a response.

Tuna should only be eaten on rare occasions anyway (mercury, over-fishing, etc etc). If you can handle any fish, salmon or trout or something is a better alternative. But that's beside the point. You know what you can/cannot eat, and being stuck in bed doesn't change any of that. If anything, it makes it even more important that you stay away from anything that bothers you. If friends/family want to help out, then ask them to bring what you know you can eat.

Hope you're doing better soon!

mamaw Community Regular

Juliebove

I  have  one of these  people  who  lives  in  my  back yard!!!!! Drives  me  &  everyone  else  around  crazy..... yells/fights  &  screams  for no  reason....The  age  of  my  pain  is  75!!!!!  Please   get  better  soon   & I hope  the others  can keep  her  away until you feel better....  it is  hard  to cope  when  you don't  feel well then to have  a  person  stressing  you out.... sorry.

hugs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

"I can't eat that. It will make me sick" is more than enough of a response.

Tuna should only be eaten on rare occasions anyway (mercury, over-fishing, etc etc). If you can handle any fish, salmon or trout or something is a better alternative. But that's beside the point. You know what you can/cannot eat, and being stuck in bed doesn't change any of that. If anything, it makes it even more important that you stay away from anything that bothers you. If friends/family want to help out, then ask them to bring what you know you can eat.

Hope you're doing better soon!

Indeed! I am not taking the chance of big D now. Can't get to the bathroom very fast!

Juliebove Rising Star

Juliebove

I  have  one of these  people  who  lives  in  my  back yard!!!!! Drives  me  &  everyone  else  around  crazy..... yells/fights  &  screams  for no  reason....The  age  of  my  pain  is  75!!!!!  Please   get  better  soon   & I hope  the others  can keep  her  away until you feel better....  it is  hard  to cope  when  you don't  feel well then to have  a  person  stressing  you out.... sorry.

hugs

Yep! My saving grace now is that we're not out in public. Normally I take her out. She behaves badly in public and that's embarrassing.

mamaw Community Regular

let's  get  these  two  together  to live  with  each other......they  can  fight  &  argue  with  each other & leave us alone.... funny  in  our  local  newspaper  tonight   the  horoscope  for me  read:  that  I may  have  to move  away to get  away  from  a  brutal crazy  person  who  will not  leave  me  alone!!!!!  that  has  crossed  my  mind.....

Juliebove Rising Star

let's  get  these  two  together  to live  with  each other......they  can  fight  &  argue  with  each other & leave us alone.... funny  in  our  local  newspaper  tonight   the  horoscope  for me  read:  that  I may  have  to move  away to get  away  from  a  brutal crazy  person  who  will not  leave  me  alone!!!!!  that  has  crossed  my  mind.....

Heh! My horoscope the other day said I wouldn't get along with my spouse! But my cranky person will not live with others. We need to get her into assisted living. That's not going so well.

GFinDC Veteran

They say coconut oil can help people with Alzheimer's sometimes.  It might be something to try anyway.

Juliebove Rising Star

They say coconut oil can help people with Alzheimer's sometimes.  It might be something to try anyway.

She does eat it. So do I. But I already feel brain dead at 54.

Archived