Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Husband Has Celiac - Should I Go gluten-free For Pregnancy?

husband

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

tsgentry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

Hi everybody! My husband found out that he has celiac about 2 years ago and has been following a gluten-free diet ever since. We are planning on starting a family soon. SO I have a few questions: Should I go completely gluten free while pregnant and breast feeding? Should I withhold gluten from my baby/toddler? I have heard that if you withhold it, celiac may be avoided. I have also heard that if I introduce gluten early, the chances are higher celiac will be avoided. So many contradictions, and I can't seem to find definite research anywhere!  Advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,569 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

Hi everybody! My husband found out that he has celiac about 2 years ago and has been following a gluten-free diet ever since. We are planning on starting a family soon. SO I have a few questions: Should I go completely gluten free while pregnant and breast feeding? Should I withhold gluten from my baby/toddler? I have heard that if you withhold it, celiac may be avoided. I have also heard that if I introduce gluten early, the chances are higher celiac will be avoided. So many contradictions, and I can't seem to find definite research anywhere!  Advice?

I can't find it, but I saw where the doctors say there is no need to be gluten free during pregnancy if you do not have Celiac.  You aren't making any antibodies, so I don't see how eating gluten would hurt the baby.

Here is the most recent study on introducing gluten to babies:

http://www.scienceda...30220113257.htm

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hi,
I've tried to learn a lot about this topic. From what I can tell, as long as you yourself do not have celiac disease or non celiac gluten sensitivity, there is no need for you to go gluten-free during pregnancy. Plus, even with your husband's history of celiac, the risk that your babies will actually develop it is 1 in 10. As a new mother, the best way to try to prevent celiac is to breastfeed your babies so that they have a healthy microbiome (population of gut bacteria) established.
Good luck with everything!
J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: