Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Husband Has Celiac - Should I Go gluten-free For Pregnancy?

husband

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 tsgentry

tsgentry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

Hi everybody! My husband found out that he has celiac about 2 years ago and has been following a gluten-free diet ever since. We are planning on starting a family soon. SO I have a few questions: Should I go completely gluten free while pregnant and breast feeding? Should I withhold gluten from my baby/toddler? I have heard that if you withhold it, celiac may be avoided. I have also heard that if I introduce gluten early, the chances are higher celiac will be avoided. So many contradictions, and I can't seem to find definite research anywhere!  Advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

Hi everybody! My husband found out that he has celiac about 2 years ago and has been following a gluten-free diet ever since. We are planning on starting a family soon. SO I have a few questions: Should I go completely gluten free while pregnant and breast feeding? Should I withhold gluten from my baby/toddler? I have heard that if you withhold it, celiac may be avoided. I have also heard that if I introduce gluten early, the chances are higher celiac will be avoided. So many contradictions, and I can't seem to find definite research anywhere!  Advice?

I can't find it, but I saw where the doctors say there is no need to be gluten free during pregnancy if you do not have Celiac.  You aren't making any antibodies, so I don't see how eating gluten would hurt the baby.

Here is the most recent study on introducing gluten to babies:

http://www.scienceda...30220113257.htm

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hi,
I've tried to learn a lot about this topic. From what I can tell, as long as you yourself do not have celiac disease or non celiac gluten sensitivity, there is no need for you to go gluten-free during pregnancy. Plus, even with your husband's history of celiac, the risk that your babies will actually develop it is 1 in 10. As a new mother, the best way to try to prevent celiac is to breastfeed your babies so that they have a healthy microbiome (population of gut bacteria) established.
Good luck with everything!
J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: