Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Husband Has Celiac - Should I Go gluten-free For Pregnancy?

3 posts in this topic

Hi everybody! My husband found out that he has celiac about 2 years ago and has been following a gluten-free diet ever since. We are planning on starting a family soon. SO I have a few questions: Should I go completely gluten free while pregnant and breast feeding? Should I withhold gluten from my baby/toddler? I have heard that if you withhold it, celiac may be avoided. I have also heard that if I introduce gluten early, the chances are higher celiac will be avoided. So many contradictions, and I can't seem to find definite research anywhere!  Advice?

Ads by Google:

Hi everybody! My husband found out that he has celiac about 2 years ago and has been following a gluten-free diet ever since. We are planning on starting a family soon. SO I have a few questions: Should I go completely gluten free while pregnant and breast feeding? Should I withhold gluten from my baby/toddler? I have heard that if you withhold it, celiac may be avoided. I have also heard that if I introduce gluten early, the chances are higher celiac will be avoided. So many contradictions, and I can't seem to find definite research anywhere!  Advice?

I can't find it, but I saw where the doctors say there is no need to be gluten free during pregnancy if you do not have Celiac.  You aren't making any antibodies, so I don't see how eating gluten would hurt the baby.

Here is the most recent study on introducing gluten to babies:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130220113257.htm

http://www.celiac.com/articles/23237/1/Introducing-Gluten-Gradually-During-Breastfeeding-Can-Lower-Risk-of-Childhood-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

Hi,

I've tried to learn a lot about this topic. From what I can tell, as long as you yourself do not have celiac disease or non celiac gluten sensitivity, there is no need for you to go gluten-free during pregnancy. Plus, even with your husband's history of celiac, the risk that your babies will actually develop it is 1 in 10. As a new mother, the best way to try to prevent celiac is to breastfeed your babies so that they have a healthy microbiome (population of gut bacteria) established.

Good luck with everything!

J