#1 allergyprone

allergyprone

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi guys,

I recently (yesterday) was diagnosed via a prick test that I have allergies to rice, walnuts, pork and grapefruit. I have already am pork, walnut, and grapefruit free, but I am having trouble finding gluten free and rice free foods. Does anyone know any good gluten and rice free recipes? or products. I am also trying to limit corn. And to top it all off I am a college student without a job, so would it just be a good idea to cut out all grains? like the paleo diet? (I haven't done much research on this so I may be thinking of something else)

Thanks

AP

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I found it easiest to get on a paleo kind of diet when I started having trouble with other grains, especially rice - it's just in nearly everything, as I'm sure you've seen.  

Just starting off, for recipes - this gal had some nice recipes when I was looking for things to make:

http://nomnompaleo.com

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Why did you have testing?  Unless you've had a reaction it isn't recommended to test for things.  What kinds of reactions were you having that you had testing done?

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

If I were you, I would use potatoes for a sub. You can prick them and cook in the microwave.

#5 allergyprone

allergyprone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Thank you guys,

StephanieL -- I got the allergy testing done because I started having more digestive issues than before I went gluten free. I had been eliminating out foods that I thought were bothering me, and was down to almost nothing. I'm not 100% certain but rice seems to cause me heartburn and bloating type reaction. The allergist tested me for all the items that I had eliminated as well as common food allergies in my family (pork, grapefruit). My Dr recommends me going 2 weeks without and then testing it too see the exact reaction, which I am going to do.

#6 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

You can eat a natural diet. Eat fresh meats and fresh veggies. It's simple and as long as you wash your veggies you should be fine I also rinse my meats. Other than another starch you should be fine. You can use quinoa? I'm sure Paleo would be good but If you don't have to give up all the grains why would you? Seems easier to have a few more options. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#7 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

The reactions you are speaking of (GI), if those are your symptoms it doesn't sound like an IgE allergy which is what those tests are looking for.  Those tests are about inaccurate at best (about 50% of the positives are false positives).

A food log really would be your best bet.  Very detailed including every ingredient and times you are things and any GI issues that occur.  Intolerances are best found via a really detailed listing of what, when and how they make you feel!

We try veggie "noodles" like zucchini and spaghetti squash. i agree that looking into paleo recipes would be a great place to start.  You have to watch for walnuts thought.  Also if you are actually allergic to any of the above mentioned things, you need epi pens!  Also if your walnut issue is an allergy and you eat other nuts there is a high likelihood of cross contamination unless you know the source of the nuts is free of walnuts in the facility.

#8 Shaaz

Shaaz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Is it true that rice causes bloating and water retention? ive been having this problem as long as i remember, and only recently i realised that i did not see any of these symptoms when i was travelling and was off rice for abt 2 weeks. 

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

Is it true that rice causes bloating and water retention? ive been having this problem as long as i remember, and only recently i realised that i did not see any of these symptoms when i was travelling and was off rice for abt 2 weeks.

No, not for most people. But anyone, Celiac or not, could have problems with rice or a different food. Also, different types of rice seem to work better for some people.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: