#1 carolynmay

carolynmay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Dear all,

I want to do a parasite cleanse - for a few fairly sensible reasons.

However, I am super sensitive and struggling to find one which does not have grain alcohol (which I cannot tolerate).

Humaworm has come up as one that seems to be very well rated and does not contain alcohol.  However when I asked them a bit earlier today if it is gluten free the response clearly indicated that the product is not actually tested and they don't ask the vendors of the raw materials whether these are gluten free either.

I just wondered - does anyone "super sensitive" have experience of using Humaworm without issues?

Alternatively, has anyone used a good parasite cleanse product which has not given them problems gluten wise?  I also bought Paragone before realising that again, there is grain-based alcohol in the "part 2" of the product so that is out.

Thanks so much for any help with this.

Best wishes,

Carolyn

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I am having a hard time understanding what a possible sensible reason for doing a parasite cleanse could be.

http://sciencebasedl...-and-dangerous/

http://www.scienceba...-you-know-what/

http://www.quackwatc...ncer/clark.html

I think that unregulated materials involved in such a cleanse could pose a problem for a super sensitive celiac.

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Does a doctor think you have a parasite? There are prescription meds (some only available through the CDC) that target specific parasites. Of course there are OTC drugs for pin worms. Our preschool once got infected. What makes you think it is parasites? Where have you traveled?

I would not advise a cleanse without a doctor's supervision.
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 carolynmay

carolynmay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

I have had Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia Lamblia in the past (picked up in Malaysia). Both were treated with antibiotics - apparently successfully - but then "triggered off" celiac disease.

I have never really been well since infection with these parasites and I am interested in the increasing school of thought that auto-immune disease may in fact have parasites as their root cause. I have seen a number of anecdotal reports of UC resolving after parasite cleanses for example.  A gluten free diet has absolutely not solved all my issues by any stretch of the imagination.

We worm dogs on a regular basis and a lot of people online appear to do regular parasite cleanses with spectacular effects - not just in terms of what they expel but in terms of how they feel afterwards.  Hence my interest..

#5 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I

We worm dogs on a regular basis and a lot of people online appear to do regular parasite cleanses with spectacular effects - not just in terms of what they expel but in terms of how they feel afterwards. Hence my interest..

That's because they eat worm infested poops! I hope that isn't your issue! :). But, actually, dogs aren't de- wormed on a regular basis unless they have worms in their poop. It is unnecessary and harmful to do it to dogs for no reason.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#6 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

If a dog is on regular monthly heartworm prevention(ivermectin) they are wormed for heartworms (Not a GI parasite) and roundworms/hookworms/whipworms. Pyrantel pamoate is the GI deworming agent that is commonly used. Puppies are born with roundworms as they get it from mom from milk due to hormonal surge to cause larvae to grow.You can purchase HW prevention without the pyrantel pamoate, such as Heartgard versus Heartgard Plus which has the GI deworming agent, too. Most GI parasites are transmitted via FECAL-ORAL route. So if you aren't exposed to food that has parasites in it... you probably don't need a monthly dewormer. That's my 2 cents on that topic.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

If a dog is on regular monthly heartworm prevention(ivermectin) they are wormed for heartworms (Not a GI parasite) and roundworms/hookworms/whipworms. Pyrantel pamoate is the GI deworming agent that is commonly used. Puppies are born with roundworms as they get it from mom from milk due to hormonal surge to cause larvae to grow.You can purchase HW prevention without the pyrantel pamoate, such as Heartgard versus Heartgard Plus which has the GI deworming agent, too. Most GI parasites are transmitted via FECAL-ORAL route. So if you aren't exposed to food that has parasites in it... you probably don't need a monthly dewormer. That's my 2 cents on that topic.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was only thinking GI worms in my answer.  I hope the OP doesn't have heart worms!   :o

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: