Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Possible To Have Celiac Without Anemia Or B12 Defiency?

celiac without anemia b12

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

#1 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hey, I am new here.

I been having many symptoms celiacs disease, including clasic and non classic symptoms, neurological problems and even Alopecia Totalis (since the age of 19, no eyebrows etc). However, my CBC, Iron and B12 are allways normal. I have had low Iron levels once, when I was a kid, but when I do my routine blood tests each year, theyare fine.. Althoug,  I have had low levels of potasium good few times, but they werent above the norm.

I recived my CBC, b12, Iron blood results just few days, stil waiting for my antibody results to come back in few weeks.

My symptoms I experience are:

Frequent infections, colds (every year)

Alopecia universalis (Not even one hair on the body)

Eczemas

Nail problems

Fungal infections

Spots

Frequent nasal bleeds (especially when I was a kid)

Bloating, gas, GERD, fatty stools, diarhea

Enamel problems

Lip sores

Hot flushes

Cold hands and feet

Nasal congestion

Dry skin

Sore eyes

Heat intolerance

Swolen neck lymph nodes

Bleeding gums

Bruising

Blacking out when standing

Dizzines during physical activity

Dandruff

ADD, brain fog, anxiety, severe depression, extreme fatigue, memory problems, panic attacks when I was a kid. etc..

Weight gain and loss

Unable to gain muscle

So my main concern was, if it is possible to have Celiac without ANEMIA, folate or b12 deffency?

I really wish it was Celiac, this would mean a possible end of my problems. As I am 23 yo and been feeling like an old man since I was a little kid..

P.S. I got my thyroid checked few times and all came clear.Not sure if thyroid tests can show Heshimotos though. My GP thinks that I am a hypocondriac,  so do I sometimes..

Edited by captainjacksparrow, 20 March 2014 - 07:37 AM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

It's possible to have celiac without anemia, yes.

For a long time, I did not show B-12 or folate of Vit D deficiencies until I was really sick. 

There are dozens of celiac-related symptoms and conditions and you do not have to have all of them to be a celiac.

You may have a folate deficiency or a Vitamin D or K deficiency (but the tests they did on you will not show those).

Your other symptoms speak volumes, hon.  

The antibody tests don't usually take a few weeks, you may get word soon. Hang in the there and welcome to the forum!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Alwayssomething

Alwayssomething

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

I know that you said your vitamin levels are normal, but sometimes just because they are within the normal range on the lab paperwork it doesn't really mean it is suffecient.   If you are the low end of normal, then you can be defiecient.  Also not everyone is the same so one person may feel good with a B12 number of say 200 (the lowest end of normal) and some may feel horrible at that number.   Do you happen to have the ranges and the actual counts. 

For me, for some reason I have become more deficient since I have been gluten free, maybe becuase I was getting the majority of those  vitamins as an added ingredient to my breads and stuff in the past???  I don't really know the reason but with my supliments I am back to a nice middle of the line normal range now. 

#4 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

It's possible to have celiac without anemia, yes.

For a long time, I did not show B-12 or folate of Vit D deficiencies until I was really sick. 

There are dozens of celiac-related symptoms and conditions and you do not have to have all of them to be a celiac.

You may have a folate deficiency or a Vitamin D or K deficiency (but the tests they did on you will not show those).

Your other symptoms speak volumes, hon.  

The antibody tests don't usually take a few weeks, you may get word soon. Hang in the there and welcome to the forum!

Thank You! Btw, I am also in Ireland! It is reassuring. I am so fed up with me being sick for so long.But I dont wanna loose hope..

#5 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

I know that you said your vitamin levels are normal, but sometimes just because they are within the normal range on the lab paperwork it doesn't really mean it is suffecient.   If you are the low end of normal, then you can be defiecient.  Also not everyone is the same so one person may feel good with a B12 number of say 200 (the lowest end of normal) and some may feel horrible at that number.   Do you happen to have the ranges and the actual counts. 

For me, for some reason I have become more deficient since I have been gluten free, maybe becuase I was getting the majority of those  vitamins as an added ingredient to my breads and stuff in the past???  I don't really know the reason but with my supliments I am back to a nice middle of the line normal range now. 

From now on, I will ask a copy of the results. I think I am entitled to it by low..

#6 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hi Captain Jack and Welcome to the Forum!  Argh!

Nutrient deficiencies are common but not required.  I have always been "borderline" anemic, but still in the normal range - the doctors always just said that was typical for a skinny white woman.  I have never had any other nutrient deficiencies or even borderline bloodtest results. Even my Vitamin D levels have always been good - even though I discovered I have osteopenia at 40 years of age (hoping to correct that now that I'm gluten free).

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#7 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

captain jack.........if your GP thinks you are a hypochondriac, then you're a shoo-in for Celiac Disease!  ;)

#8 cmc811

cmc811

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

My symptoms I experience are:

Frequent infections, colds (every year)

Alopecia universalis (Not even one hair on the body)

Eczemas

Nail problems

Fungal infections

Spots

Frequent nasal bleeds (especially when I was a kid)

Bloating, gas, GERD, fatty stools, diarhea

Enamel problems

Lip sores

Hot flushes

Cold hands and feet

Nasal congestion

Dry skin

Sore eyes

Heat intolerance

Swolen neck lymph nodes

Bleeding gums

Bruising

Blacking out when standing

Dizzines during physical activity

Dandruff

ADD, brain fog, anxiety, severe depression, extreme fatigue, memory problems, panic attacks when I was a kid. etc..

Weight gain and loss

Unable to gain muscle

The simple answer is that anything is possible with Celiac! My 5 yr old son is currently being tested and he has the symptoms that I made bold in your list. His alopecia is Alopecia Areata, not Universalis, but regardless it's still autoimmune and he was diagnosed at 20 months old when all his hair fell out. We thought he did have universalis initially but after about a year it all grew back and now he just gets the random round patches of hair loss that are classic for the areata presentation. His CBC is mostly normal except for low red blood cell count. His hemoglobin and hematocrit are in the lowest range of normal. All other labs have been normal. He also has asthma, abdominal pain, nausea, chronic constipation and is gaining weight very slowly. His height growth has remained at a steady rate, but he hasn't been gaining weight so his weight/height and BMI numbers have dropped significantly. Doctor thought there was no way he had Celiac, but I tested positive so I am demanding it be looked into further by a pediatric GI. Everyone's presentation is a bit different so it's great that you had the testing done. Your symptoms are definitely suggestive with or without deficiencies.

Misty

Myself: tTg-IgA was 7 (>4 positive), normal total IgA, Unspecified anemia, low magnesium, really low Vitamin D, normal thyroid with no antibodies, slightly positive ANA (1:40 speckled) but confirmation panel all negative, so no explanation. No other celiac tests ordered, Endoscopy appeared normal, Biopsy showed increased lymphocytes - Marsh I. She called biopsy "equivocal" but diagnosed Celiac anyway based on high specificity of tTg test.

Son (born in 2008): Alopecia Areata, Chronic constipation, vague abdominal pain, waves of nausea that have been occurring for months with no other cause identified,always tired even though he sleeps 10+ hours per night. Behavior change. Jekyll and Hyde type tantrums that are triggered by the silliest things. Totally uncharacteristic for him. Mild asthma, ezcema, wierd skin rashes that don't appear to be DH. Slow weight gain, normal height. His weight for age percentile is dropping but slowly so doesn't concern pediatrician. His BMI, however, has dropped from 33rd percentile to the 5th in 2 years. Low red blood cell count, low-normal hemoglobin/hematocrit - not being called anemia. His number looks just like mine used to and mine have continued to get worse. Normal total Iga, Negative tTg. Result was <1 with >4 being positive. Negative EMA. TSH 2.91 at 22 months and now at 5.75 yrs is 4.7 but still being called normal.

Son (born in 2011): Enamel issues on baby teeth, Keratosis pilaris, Toenail fungus since birth on both small toes. Normal total IgA, negative tTg (<1).

#9 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

The simple answer is that anything is possible with Celiac! My 5 yr old son is currently being tested and he has the symptoms that I dissappearold in your list. His alopecia is Alopecia Areata, not Universalis, but regardless it's still autoimmune and he was diagnosed at 20 months old when all his hair fell out. We thought he did have universalis initially but after about a year it all grew back and now he just gets the random round patches of hair loss that are classic for the areata presentation. His CBC is mostly normal except for low red blood cell count. His hemoglobin and hematocrit are in the lowest range of normal. All other labs have been normal. He also has asthma, abdominal pain, nausea, chronic constipation and is gaining weight very slowly. His height growth has remained at a steady rate, but he hasn't been gaining weight so his weight/height and BMI numbers have dropped significantly. Doctor thought there was no way he had Celiac, but I tested positive so I am demanding it be looked into further by a pediatric GI. Everyone's presentation is a bit different so it's great that you had the testing done. Your symptoms are definitely suggestive with or without deficiencies.

Hey, thank You for Your reply.For me the hair loss started when I was 8 years old. I used to get oval bald patches, which used to regrow. When I hit 19 my eyebrow started to dissappear.At the age of 22 I lost all my hair. And now, my naills ar affected.. I did gluten challenge few months ago. I had my hair regrowing after 2 weeks on gluten-free diet. It was just ear hair and facial hair, very small etc.. Then I begged my GP for celiac tests snd told all the stories about the other people that didnt have any classic symptoms and so on, told showed her a full list of my symptoms I experience and had experienced and she agreed to test me for the last time. I said to her that I will focus on my mental health if they will be negative. However, on the gluten chalange my anxiety was out of the roof! I wonder if it was the so called gluten withdrawal. As gluten is like opiate haha..

#10 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

captain jack.........if your GP thinks you are a hypochondriac, then you're a shoo-in for Celiac Disease!  ;)

Hahah.I know that I am a hypocondriac my self. But like hair loss, infections, bleedings etc..Not sure if hypochondria can be so powerful to create these symptoms.. ha

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hahah.I know that I am a hypocondriac my self. But like hair loss, infections, bleedings etc..Not sure if hypochondria can be so powerful to create these symptoms.. ha

Sometimes Hypochondria is caused by the failure of many doctors not running the correct tests.

Sometimes telling their patients they are perfectly healthy and their symptoms are all in their heads.

Sometimes leaving them with actually symptoms for many years.

Sometimes it is all in our guts, rather than our heads.

and then sometimes folks simply have Hypochondria (but those should have their gut checked too)

Welcome to the forum Captain Jack :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thank You! Btw, I am also in Ireland! It is reassuring. I am so fed up with me being sick for so long.But I dont wanna loose hope..

I do not live in Ireland, capt'n jack. I wish I did. I have been there many times, but I live in the US. 

No,no, no...now..come on...do not lose hope! :) Please...we're here for you! We've walked in your shoes!!.

Even if that test is negative, you could try a gluten-free diet and get rid of the symptoms.

Many people with NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitivity) have similar symptoms that resolve on a G F diet.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#13 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I do not live in Ireland, capt'n jack. I wish I did. I have been there many times, but I live in the US. 

No,no, no...now..come on...do not lose hope! :) Please...we're here for you! We've walked in your shoes!!.

Even if that test is negative, you could try a gluten-free diet and get rid of the symptoms.

Many people with NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitivity) have similar symptoms that resolve on a G F diet.

I tought You were from Ireland:))) I will! I am just so fed up of being sick and tired all the time. I even broke up with my girlfriend do to my problems... Thank You! I am 8 day on gluten-free diet. As I am not willing to wait 18 months for the biopsy if the tests indeed will be positive. But to be honest I feel worse.. The second day of gluten-free was amazing, but it was probably a placebo... However my stomach was really feeling very weird at that day.

#14 Bmitchell2226

Bmitchell2226

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Hi Captain Jack and Welcome to the Forum!  Argh!

Nutrient deficiencies are common but not required.  I have always been "borderline" anemic, but still in the normal range - the doctors always just said that was typical for a skinny white woman.  I have never had any other nutrient deficiencies or even borderline bloodtest results. Even my Vitamin D levels have always been good - even though I discovered I have osteopenia at 40 years of age (hoping to correct that now that I'm gluten free).

Hello I am very new to the forum. I also have normal iron levels as of a year ago. I have not been technically diagnosed with celiac yet. I do have a lot of symptoms that have been going on for years: stomach ache after eating, eye problems, some minor neurological problems, and really feeling very crappy and sometimes just feel very weak and sick. The list goes on and I would love to share information if at all possible. Thank you

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

I tought You were from Ireland:))) I will! I am just so fed up of being sick and tired all the time. I even broke up with my girlfriend do to my problems... Thank You! I am 8 day on gluten-free diet. As I am not willing to wait 18 months for the biopsy if the tests indeed will be positive. But to be honest I feel worse.. The second day of gluten-free was amazing, but it was probably a placebo... However my stomach was really feeling very weird at that day.

You may feel worse before you feel better. Healing the gut  is an up and down road. Just be patient.

Here is your new motto: Every day is a healing day.

Please read this entire thread I have linked below  so you understand everything about cross contamination. Just BELIEVE you can get well! And as corny as this sounds, remaining hopeful and positive (and not fretting anymore) is very beneficial. Stress creates inflammatory cytokines in our bodies and we don't need that. 

Drink a lot of water, take a probiotic, stay completely G F (scrutinize everything before you eat it) and try and relax now.  I know how hard it is to

feel lousy for so long, but it gets better, I promise.

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: