Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Possible To Have Celiac Without Anemia Or B12 Defiency?

celiac without anemia b12

• Please log in to reply

36 replies to this topic

#31 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Gotcha! 

By the way...that lactose intolerance can be a result of celiac as well.  If you aren't going to be tested soon -- I strongly suggest you remove all gluten for six months and then trial lactose/casein to see if you can tolerate it.  Regardless of the dairy deal -- since you have symptoms consistent with celiac or ncgs and you had some improvement since you removed gluten -- six months gluten-free should give you the answers you are looking for. -- at least "unofficially" ;)

P.S. I started taking calcium and msgnesium, also Vitamin D as Ireland is so damn cloudy.Also zinc 30 mg before bed.I dont eat fish etc so I might be defiecient in it. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Gotcha! 

By the way...that lactose intolerance can be a result of celiac as well.  If you aren't going to be tested soon -- I strongly suggest you remove all gluten for six months and then trial lactose/casein to see if you can tolerate it.  Regardless of the dairy deal -- since you have symptoms consistent with celiac or ncgs and you had some improvement since you removed gluten -- six months gluten-free should give you the answers you are looking for. -- at least "unofficially" ;)

Actualy! My ferritin levels, do they look a little low, what do you think? Mine is 47, while the range is 28-365 ng/ml what do you think? Also b12 523 is a little low, no? Even though they are within normal limits.. Range: 239-931ng/L

#33 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Actualy! My ferritin levels, do they look a little low, what do you think? Mine is 47, while the range is 28-365 ng/ml what do you think? Also b12 523 is a little low, no? Even though they are within normal limits.. Range: 239-931ng/L

Ferritin is a bit low -- that is what I meant by looking for high/low within referenced ranges.

B12 - not bad (some suggest it should be much higher for optimum -- mine was 150s at dx and has risen to the 700s gluten-free (just an example..everyone is different)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#34 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Folic acid works in conjunction with B12 for DNA synthesis. Folic acid deficiency causes macrocytic anemia but never neurologic deficits. Common causes of folic acid deficiency incluhttp://wellinthishou...xplained/6150/e poor diet and alcoholism. Since January 1998, the US Food and Drug Administration has required all enriched cereal/grain products to be fortified with folic acid, with the goal of reducing neural tube congenital defects.[10] Nutritionists have expressed concerns that folic acid fortification masks B12deficiency, and a 2007 study demonstrated cognitive impairment in patients with high folate status in the presence of low B12. These patients were anemic without macrocytosis.[10]The authors suggest that excess folic acid precipitates both hematologic and neuropsychiatric manifestations of B12deficiency. Interestingly, folic acid conferred cognitive protection in the presence of normal B12 levels. The point here is that folic acid supplementation in the presence of B12deficiency may actually aggravate neurological symptoms.

My folate levels are very high!!! A year ago I was doing a resesrch about thing called MTHFR gene mutation, not sure if you have heard about it before? It is diagnosed through genes. Have a look at this, it might be very helpful for all of you too: 

http://wellinthishou...explained/6150/

What I also read, that people who usualy have  MTHFR might have hig numbers of folate in their blood, as simple folate is not used by the body do to MTHFR mutation..

My levels are > 24 very above the norm. 3-17 ..

#35 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Ferritin is a bit low -- that is what I meant by looking for high/low within referenced ranges.

B12 - not bad (some suggest it should be much higher for optimum -- mine was 150s at dx and has risen to the 700s gluten-free (just an example..everyone is different)

What about your folate levels prior dx?? I bet it wasnt that big!?

#36 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

What about your folate levels prior dx?? I bet it wasnt that big!?

you got me on that one...will have to look it up...only so many numbers stick in this old brain ;)

lol...i'll check back with an answer later :)

edited to add:

ok...you made me look and it seems my results pre-dx in 2009 are not available online -- which means I'll have to pull an old fashion paper file -- um, no -- not happening any time soon.

Edited by GottaSki, 27 March 2014 - 04:44 PM.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#37 captainjacksparrow

captainjacksparrow

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

you got me on that one...will have to look it up...only so many numbers stick in this old brain ;)

lol...i'll check back with an answer later :)

edited to add:

ok...you made me look and it seems my results pre-dx in 2009 are not available online -- which means I'll have to pull an old fashion paper file -- um, no -- not happening any time soon.

Its ok:) Dont worry. But then how do I know Iif my b12 isn't masked?...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: