5 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

I heard the ad for today's "Fresh Air with Terry Gross" in NPR this morning and they are having people from America's Test Kitchen on to talk about the best gluten-free recipes. In my area it will be on at six PM. It looks from the comments that it has already aired in some areas and that they talked about the "fad" of gluten-free. But maybe there will be some good tips on cooking. I didn't read the whole article here yet, but they did say King Arthur was the best flour they have found so far (and that's the one I use :) )

http://www.npr.org/2...e-eating-it-too

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

We love the show America's Test Kitchen. I have read the articles about the cookbook and already ordered one.

They did their homework on celiac and mention it frequently in the articles. Not sure about the fad comment.

I did not feel that way reading the introduction to the book at all. They "get it". :) .

I'd say..listen to it! 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I close the shop at six and it comes on at six here. I'll only miss what they say between getting out of the car and into the house. :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

I just listened to the first third and it is excellent thus far!

There is the standard references to "fad" diets and no mention of Celiac Disease thus far -- that said they do a fantastic job of explaining the kitchen chemistry required to make good tasting gluten-free baked goods and bread. 

The gentleman said something in the intro that those of us that have spent time baking gluten-free know very well.

Replacing gluten is "really complicated" and learning to do so well is "surprisingly challenging and intellectually stimulating".

Overall -- worth a listen and I'll go back and listen to the rest later today.

Thanks for sharing : )

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

what some real Gee Effers like us have to say about the book...

http://howcanitbeglu...m/in-the-press/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

My Aunt bought me that cookbook as a surprise gift last week and I LOVE IT!   Hands down the best gluten-free cookbook out there.  They recommend their flour blend recipe 1st, king arthur flour blend 2nd, and bobs red mill blend 3rd, giving any needed adjustments for each.  I haven't combed completely through every recipe but it definitely seems like it is written towards Celiacs but they seem to avoid the Fad vs medical conversation.  It is focused more on how to make your stuff not taste like crap.  After I heal up from my surgery I am going to try out some of their stuff, I use King Arthur Flour but I may try out their blend recipe.  But great how-tos, reasons why they are doing things, etc.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: