Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Don't Know If This Will Be Good

6 posts in this topic

I heard the ad for today's "Fresh Air with Terry Gross" in NPR this morning and they are having people from America's Test Kitchen on to talk about the best gluten-free recipes. In my area it will be on at six PM. It looks from the comments that it has already aired in some areas and that they talked about the "fad" of gluten-free. But maybe there will be some good tips on cooking. I didn't read the whole article here yet, but they did say King Arthur was the best flour they have found so far (and that's the one I use :) )

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too

Ads by Google:

We love the show America's Test Kitchen. I have read the articles about the cookbook and already ordered one.

They did their homework on celiac and mention it frequently in the articles. Not sure about the fad comment.

I did not feel that way reading the introduction to the book at all. They "get it". :) .

I'd say..listen to it! 

I close the shop at six and it comes on at six here. I'll only miss what they say between getting out of the car and into the house. :lol:

I just listened to the first third and it is excellent thus far!

There is the standard references to "fad" diets and no mention of Celiac Disease thus far -- that said they do a fantastic job of explaining the kitchen chemistry required to make good tasting gluten-free baked goods and bread. 

The gentleman said something in the intro that those of us that have spent time baking gluten-free know very well.

Replacing gluten is "really complicated" and learning to do so well is "surprisingly challenging and intellectually stimulating".

Overall -- worth a listen and I'll go back and listen to the rest later today.

Thanks for sharing : )

My Aunt bought me that cookbook as a surprise gift last week and I LOVE IT!   Hands down the best gluten-free cookbook out there.  They recommend their flour blend recipe 1st, king arthur flour blend 2nd, and bobs red mill blend 3rd, giving any needed adjustments for each.  I haven't combed completely through every recipe but it definitely seems like it is written towards Celiacs but they seem to avoid the Fad vs medical conversation.  It is focused more on how to make your stuff not taste like crap.  After I heal up from my surgery I am going to try out some of their stuff, I use King Arthur Flour but I may try out their blend recipe.  But great how-tos, reasons why they are doing things, etc.