Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Don't Know If This Will Be Good

6 posts in this topic

I heard the ad for today's "Fresh Air with Terry Gross" in NPR this morning and they are having people from America's Test Kitchen on to talk about the best gluten-free recipes. In my area it will be on at six PM. It looks from the comments that it has already aired in some areas and that they talked about the "fad" of gluten-free. But maybe there will be some good tips on cooking. I didn't read the whole article here yet, but they did say King Arthur was the best flour they have found so far (and that's the one I use :) )

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too

Ads by Google:

We love the show America's Test Kitchen. I have read the articles about the cookbook and already ordered one.

They did their homework on celiac and mention it frequently in the articles. Not sure about the fad comment.

I did not feel that way reading the introduction to the book at all. They "get it". :) .

I'd say..listen to it! 

I close the shop at six and it comes on at six here. I'll only miss what they say between getting out of the car and into the house. :lol:

I just listened to the first third and it is excellent thus far!

There is the standard references to "fad" diets and no mention of Celiac Disease thus far -- that said they do a fantastic job of explaining the kitchen chemistry required to make good tasting gluten-free baked goods and bread. 

The gentleman said something in the intro that those of us that have spent time baking gluten-free know very well.

Replacing gluten is "really complicated" and learning to do so well is "surprisingly challenging and intellectually stimulating".

Overall -- worth a listen and I'll go back and listen to the rest later today.

Thanks for sharing : )

My Aunt bought me that cookbook as a surprise gift last week and I LOVE IT!   Hands down the best gluten-free cookbook out there.  They recommend their flour blend recipe 1st, king arthur flour blend 2nd, and bobs red mill blend 3rd, giving any needed adjustments for each.  I haven't combed completely through every recipe but it definitely seems like it is written towards Celiacs but they seem to avoid the Fad vs medical conversation.  It is focused more on how to make your stuff not taste like crap.  After I heal up from my surgery I am going to try out some of their stuff, I use King Arthur Flour but I may try out their blend recipe.  But great how-tos, reasons why they are doing things, etc.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• It starts as a piercing itch and the skin turns reddish with a few tiny red bumps. Then tiny watery vesicles appear and itch like crazy. The whole process from start to finish is about 3 weeks and the lesions leave a purplish skin tone and scab. I get them on the back side of both knees near the bend.  Sometimes it's just a few scattered vesicles in the same area. I've had Drs say eczema or herpes. My next step is to find a dermatologist familiar with dh. Thanks for the input.
    • DH can look like that but other things can as well. It would help if you described the way it acts/presents. You can get a dh biopsy. Read threads in this section to find out how the biopsy is done correctly. 
    • my celiac was triggered by pregnancy.  had no clue.  symptoms creeped up (started with indigestion, deemed as 'colitis' or 'ibs') but eventually all the ones you mentioned above all joined the party.  sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  one of the points of diagnosis is the reaction to the gluten-free diet.  keep digging.  half the people on here don't have a firm diagnosis (science really needs to catch up with this disease)  and a false negative blood test is fairly common, for whatever reason - if you've not been eating gluten every day for like 8 weeks, it may not detect antibodies, which is what these tests are measuring.  sorry you're having this dilemma!  hope you find some answers.
    • tom & chee!  good to know   they grill the sandwich on a separate pan?  or do you just order soup and salad.  so cool to find more places to eat out!!
    • Hi everybody,  I have had symptoms of Celiac since mid pregnancy and they have gotten worse over the last 5 months post partum. I have constipation, periods stopped, extreme fatigue,  joint pain, weak muscles, dizzyness, migraines, light sensitivity,  pins and needles in hands and feet, elevated TSH, depreason and anxiety. Was put on thyroid meds but it didn't help any of my symptoms. My doctor told me to try gluten free and reintroduce it. I tried it for 2 weeks and started feeling quite a bit better, then reintroduced it and felt worse than ever! It's definitely a gluten problem. She suggested I get the Celiac panel run so I got tested for Ttg iga, DGP igg and EMA all came back NEGATIVE! by this point I had only reintroduced gluten for a few days. She said my antibodies shouldn't go down by much in this time frame. Should I push for a referral to a GI doctor? I don't know why I feel the need for diagnosis? Probably my mother in law laughing when I said I can't eat gluten anymore and she tried to offer me things like donuts, saying it's just a little.  She just doesn't get it. So now, do I suffer for 6 weeks to get the biopsy or just stop eating gluten and be done with it.  I have also noticed while introducing new foods to my baby that he throws up whenever I give him anything wheat based. I doubt they can diagnose a baby and I refuse to damage his intestines for a diagnosis.  Maybe I should get my daughter tested as well? She is 3 and has been complaining of upset tummy and is frequently constipated. She is growing well though but is also quite thin. She is not a big eater. She may be constipated because she holds it. She is afraid to poop on the potty. Since I have had symptoms for only about 10 months, could there not be much damage yet? Sorry for the long post! 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    olenalrz