#1 NurseSati

NurseSati

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

I had the ttg and another test done that say yes I have celiac. I understand that this is not diagnostic but indicative. My symptoms are: terrible constipation, gas, fatigue, foggy head feeling after eating gluten, hair falling out in clumps, and stomach swelling after gluten meal. I pretty much am sure I have it and ready to move to a gluten free diet.

My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist. I called the office and asked what is the point? I am a nurse, I can research and change my diet appropriately. Then I figured out they want me to have an endoscopy... which I know is definitive. Well I have good insurance. But my parents are really agianst any other testing. They have gone gluten free and want me not to go to the doctor anymore and follow suit. Which I am fine with but I want to at least connect with a GI about possible yearly blood tests or something so I know I am OK because my symptoms come and go and are really vague.

Anyways... Is this test really necessary. My parents will make me pay for whatever is not covered by insurance so I will be charging it.

Thanks,

Whitney

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hello,
I had the ttg and another test done that say yes I have celiac. I understand that this is not diagnostic but indicative. My symptoms are: terrible constipation, gas, fatigue, foggy head feeling after eating gluten, hair falling out in clumps, and stomach swelling after gluten meal. I pretty much am sure I have it and ready to move to a gluten free diet.

My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist. I called the office and asked what is the point? I am a nurse, I can research and change my diet appropriately. Then I figured out they want me to have an endoscopy... which I know is definitive. Well I have good insurance. But my parents are really agianst any other testing. They have gone gluten free and want me not to go to the doctor anymore and follow suit. Which I am fine with but I want to at least connect with a GI about possible yearly blood tests or something so I know I am OK because my symptoms come and go and are really vague.

Anyways... Is this test really necessary. My parents will make me pay for whatever is not covered by insurance so I will be charging it.

Thanks,
Whitney

I don't understand the parent comment. You are a grown-up with your own insurance, so I think it is really your choice. I wish your parents would have gotten themselves tested before going gluten-free.

Any doctor can do the f/ up blood test - just re- testing to se if the antibodies are coming down. You don't need a GI for that. You might want to read on the univ of Chicago Celiac center for more info about why an endoscopy is necessary. If you decide on the endo, you will want to keep eating gluten.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi NurseSati and Welcome to the forum!

Whether or not to get an endoscopy and biopsy is a personal decision and one only you can make for yourself.  However, there is an additional benefit to having the biopsy, as they will test for other possible issues that could be either causing your symptoms or going on in addition to the Celiac.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hello,

Thanks,

Whitney

Actually ,the biopsy is not definitive.  You could still have a negative biopsy, with positive bloodwork.  It all depends if there is enough damage to your small intestine yet for them to find.  If you have a complete Celiac panel done and the tTg plus the EMA are positive, then you have a diagnosis for Celiac.  tTg can be elevated for other reasons besides Celiac but having the additional positive EMA is a slam dunk for Celiac.  I would suggest having the full panel done before you do anything else.

#5 Triomam

Triomam

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Actually ,the biopsy is not definitive.  You could still have a negative biopsy, with positive bloodwork.  It all depends if there is enough damage to your small intestine yet for them to find.  If you have a complete Celiac panel done and the tTg plus the EMA are positive, then you have a diagnosis for Celiac.  tTg can be elevated for other reasons besides Celiac but having the additional positive EMA is a slam dunk for Celiac.  I would suggest having the full panel done before you do anything else.

I agree...the search for answers is complex.... My TTG IGA is over 300..... But a biopsy said negative. Yet the difference gluten-free is startling! I'm not yet back to fully well...but compared to how I've been its unrecognisable.....
Good luck

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Yep, I skipped the biopsy because I had positive tTG IgA and EMA IgA. I looked at the specificity of those tests and decided that was good enough for me. Plus, I knew that the biopsies are not perfect and have heard too many stories about people who doubted their diagnosis just because one out of three tests (the biopsy) was negative.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 skelly247

skelly247

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

I decided to forgo the endo because I react badly to anesthesia and my symptoms and blood work were enough for me.  I was mildly positive for 2 of the tests despite being IgA deficient and only on gluten for 2 weeks as well as having multiple vitamin deficiencies, some severe (my vitamin D levels were almost undetectable) in addition to a family history of various autoimmune conditions including type 1 diabetes, crohns, colitis and alopecia (all within the past 2 generations).  I don't need the endo to confirm that I shouldn't be eating gluten, the symptoms I get when I eat gluten are enough to do that for me.  If your symptoms go away when you take out gluten (and both of your parents feel better without gluten too), then I would say and endo is not a necessity, positive bloodwork is enough.  That being said, if you don't believe your diagnosis without an endoscopy (some people don't) and won't keep yourself off gluten without it, you should get it done so you can remind yourself of how much it is hurting you even if you can't see it all the time. 

Diagnosed via Blood Test: Feb 2014

IgA Deficient
Severely Vitamin D Deficient

Lactose Intolerant (hopefully temporary) 

Subclinical hypothyroid

#8 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yep, I skipped the biopsy because I had positive tTG IgA and EMA IgA. I looked at the specificity of those tests and decided that was good enough for me. Plus, I knew that the biopsies are not perfect and have heard too many stories about people who doubted their diagnosis just because one out of three tests (the biopsy) was negative.

First I've heard of that. Where did you read that one out of three are negative? Are you referring to the visual part of the endoscopy that examines your villi, or the biopsy samples?

And what about the people who have doubted their own self-diagnosis because they didn't get a biopsy. Not to mention, you may not be taken seriously is you just self-diagnose.

best regards, larry mac 

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#9 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

First I've heard of that. Where did you read that one out of three are negative? Are you referring to the visual part of the endoscopy that examines your villi, or the biopsy samples?

And what about the people who have doubted their own self-diagnosis because they didn't get a biopsy. Not to mention, you may not be taken seriously is you just self-diagnose.

best regards, larry mac 

one out of the three tests for celiac dx:(1)  tTG IgA, (2)EMA IgA and (3)biopsy.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

best regards, larry mac 

one out of the three tests for celiac dx:(1)  tTG IgA, (2)EMA IgA and (3)biopsy.

I think that is what she said, too.  

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

best regards, larry mac

Sorry. I did not make that very clear, did I? I did mean that it is not unusual to have negative tests (like a biopsy) with other positive tests (like the tTG IgA and EMA IgA). Sometimes it happens in reverse with a positive biopsy and negative blood tests. I've never read that number anywhere, it's just an observation of many people's experiences that I have witnessed on this board over the last couple of years.

It is not unusual for there to be no visible damage to a celac's intestines. It seems to be the norm that damage is usually only seen on the biopsy. I have never heard a case, that I remember, of only visible damage with a fine biopsy.

As for self diagnosis and people asking it seriously, I think that is a larger factor for people who are dependent on others for their food - like kids. As an adult, I have met many people who did not take my food requirements seriously. It is annoying but not a problem as I bring my own food places. What others think doesn't make much of a difference to how I treat this disease. In the long run, it is all up to us.

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#12 NurseSati

NurseSati

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Thanks everybody for your input it was really helpful. I decided to go through with the endoscopy biopsy. My dad is eating gluten again and going to have the blood test soon. The possibility of him having celiac seemed to make him rethink the biopsy thing. He said if blood work came back positive he would still want the biopsy. So they are on board. I think that it will help me not doubt the diagnosis. Plus I take a lot of nsaids for an injured back, and have wondered if I have an ulcer. maybe that is something they will see as well. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: