This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Schizophrenia And Milk

Blu-1

Blu-1 Rookie

I am celiac with MS-like neurological symptoms in response to gluten and rheumatoid arthritic symptoms in response to milk. My mother is gluten intolerant, but not tested for celiac, and had lymphoma (associated with gluten) earlier in her life. My brother has severe anxiety, OCD, and recently schizophrenia. He also had polyps and intestinal bleeding as a teenager.

Based on my diagnosis, my mother's gluten intolerance, and current research on the connection between gluten and milk and schzophrenia, my brother has been on a gluten and milk free diet. We had noticed general improvements in my brother's engagement with people and life, weight, and happiness since he had been on the diet. We weren't sure if the diet might be linked to his mental health until recently.  We have found that milk appears to trigger psychosis. 

I found a number of research articles on the connection between schizophrenia and gluten and milk if anyone is interested. One article, for example is, Gastrointestinal inflammation and associated immune activation in schizophrenia. Some researchers now suspect a connection between an autoimmune response to food and schizophrenia. An interesting finding in this article is that levels of gut inflammation were less with patients taking antipsychotics and we do know that antipsychotics, although not a miracle cure, can reduce psychotic symptoms in a horrible round-a-bout way. Some people, by far the minority, now suspect that antipsychotics might be helping symptoms by reducing gut inflammation and possibly the immune response to foods, not dopamine receptors in the brain as traditional theory hypothesizes. 

Has anyone else found milk causes symptoms of paranoia and/or voices? 

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chlorophyle Newbie

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. I no longer eat gluten and a few other things which seem to harm my gut in a similar way to gluten. On previous occasions after eating something I reacted to ( thereby harming my gut barrier) I have experienced delusions and paranoia on consuming milk. It has taken me years of diet changes to find the answer for me but now my psychiatrist says my bipolar disorder is "in remission" and I require little medication.

• 2 weeks later...
Steph1 Apprentice

I have been dx with bipolar 2.  After removing gluten the roller coaster is much better.  Additionally I did used to have issues with seeing shadow people, hearing things and paranoia.  That has been gone for about a year.  I took out milk and gluten at practically the same time, so I really don't know which it was, if any, though I suspect it was one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Seifer Rookie

yes I get scizofrenic and paranoid symptoms when on gluten and/or caseine

• 1 month later...
Blu Newbie

I just noticed these responses to my post. I am thrilled that you have all responded. Thank you. 

I wish our family had known years ago about about the dire consequences of milk for our brother for paranoia and for me for rheumatoid arthritic like symptoms. My brother got the worst end of the stick in my opinion. I have science articles on the connection between gluten/milk and schizophrenia and OCD if anyone who sees this post is interested. I hope that our posts here will help other people who are suffering from paranoia from undiagnosed gluten/milk intolerance.

• 2 months later...
got2bebreadfree Newbie

I am so happy to see a thread on this. I myself have struggled with hearing voices, severe depression and anxiety, that I just KNEW were triggered by milk and gluten. Not only would I have these mental symptoms, but i would have phyical symptoms as well. I know i need to go dairy/gluten free but its just really hard. But I know i have to do it, im tired of living a life of chaos.

• 4 weeks later...
poneelovesyou Newbie

I think alot of the link between gluten and dairy is that they both seem to induce glutamate excitotoxicity which is linked with alot of mental illness including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and shizophrenia. Heres a cool video/site that talks about avoiding foods with excess free glutamates and the link she found to these foods and her kids autism. As you probably know there's a link between gluten and autism as well.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
vincehh Newbie

I am celiac with MS-like neurological symptoms in response to gluten and rheumatoid arthritic symptoms in response to milk. My mother is gluten intolerant, but not tested for celiac, and had lymphoma (associated with gluten) earlier in her life. My brother has severe anxiety, OCD, and recently schizophrenia. He also had polyps and intestinal bleeding as a teenager.

Based on my diagnosis, my mother's gluten intolerance, and current research on the connection between gluten and milk and schzophrenia, my brother has been on a gluten and milk free diet. We had noticed general improvements in my brother's engagement with people and life, weight, and happiness since he had been on the diet. We weren't sure if the diet might be linked to his mental health until recently.  We have found that milk appears to trigger psychosis. 

I found a number of research articles on the connection between schizophrenia and gluten and milk if anyone is interested. One article, for example is, Gastrointestinal inflammation and associated immune activation in schizophrenia. Some researchers now suspect a connection between an autoimmune response to food and schizophrenia. An interesting finding in this article is that levels of gut inflammation were less with patients taking antipsychotics and we do know that antipsychotics, although not a miracle cure, can reduce psychotic symptoms in a horrible round-a-bout way. Some people, by far the minority, now suspect that antipsychotics might be helping symptoms by reducing gut inflammation and possibly the immune response to foods, not dopamine receptors in the brain as traditional theory hypothesizes. 

Has anyone else found milk causes symptoms of paranoia and/or voices? 

Something else to look at is the type of fats in the diet. Most cooking oils contain far too much omega-6 and these produce chemicals in the body called eicosanoids that cause ill health. The lack of saturated fat especial short and medium chain could be causing probles. By the way these has been no substantial trials that correctly shown saturated fats causing heart disease but seed oils have(corn, sunflower, safflower etc)

The brain is mostly made of saturated fat, The insulation of the nerve fibres are saturated fat. The raw materials for the hormones the brain makes are made of saturated and omega 3 fats. Low cholesterol has been linked to behavioural problems such as aggression and ADHD.

The Swedish Gov has just officially rejected the idea that saturated fat causes heart disease or any other health problems.

These things are worth researching.

Vince

Archived