This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dish Soap?

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

I did a search but could only find some old threads about it.

I was thinking about this yesterday...What do you think? Does having a gluten free dish soap matter if you do not have skin issues when coming into contact with gluten?

At home I currently use Ajax dish soap (I'm pretty sure that when I went gluten-free originally I looked this up but I'm sending them an email to ask again), and I use whatever soap my boyfriend happens to have at his place. But maybe I need to be more careful.

It makes me think because at restaurants we cannot control what soap they use on the dishes or what hand soap they have in the bathroom. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Unless you are eating dish soap or have an active allergy to a listed ingredient in the soap, it should pose no problem.  Dishes are generally rinsed well after washing anyway so what you use on your dishes is not a concern.  I have never screened soap for gluten, am extremely sensitive and have never had a problem in 9 years gluten-free.  One less thing to worry about!  :)

WinterSong Community Regular

Thanks Gemini. It seems like every few months something crops up that I hadn't thought of before. Glad this one isn't an issue. :) 

LauraTX Rising Star

Yeah, what gemini said.  Dish soap is made to rinse off, so if you feel like looking it won't hurt, but I think it isn't going to be worth too much effort.  I always buy the basic kind anyways, I avoid the ones with hand moisturizers in it and such because I don't want moisturizers left on my dishes, haha. I use seventh generation fresh citrus and ginger because I LOVE the nice mild and fresh smell, and it actually says gluten free on the back.  But I only use it because I like to sniff it while I am hard at work, haha,

Gemini Experienced

A little bit of aromatherapy while doing dishes, Laura?  ;)

LauraTX Rising Star

Haha yes!

Nick-incollege Rookie

Most studies have shown that gluten only affects you if you digest it. That being said, some people have reported getting rashes. I personally don't worry about dish soap.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Rashes usually occur from a skin allergy to an ingredient in the product.....it is not a celiac reaction, unless you drink dish soap that contains gluten.

africanqueen99 Contributor

I am on the hunt for gluten-free dish soap because it's bubble season again and we make our own.  Since the kids are playing in them and running through them it seems essential that they're safe.  It hasn't been easy finding options though!

bartfull Rising Star

I know Dawn USED TO BE gluten-free, but that info isn't recent. I can't see why they would have added gluten to their formula, but I bet if you wrote to them they'd answer you.

HavaneseMom Explorer

Biokleen says all of their products are gluten free. The fourth question down in this FAQ's link says so:

Open Original Shared Link

Their dish soap is good and I LOVE their Spray & Wipe All Purpose Cleaner so much that I buy it by the case from amazon. It's great if you don't like heavily scented products.

I don't know if cleaning products need to be gluten free for us, but it does give me some peace of mind using them.

africanqueen99 Contributor

I know Dawn USED TO BE gluten-free, but that info isn't recent. I can't see why they would have added gluten to their formula, but I bet if you wrote to them they'd answer you.

Thanks for the lead! It still is and I'm going to make a huge batch of bubbles soon.

Come on Spring!!

tri-gal Rookie

Funny to see this thread. I was not concerned about soaps until the other day when my toothbrush had a dreadfully strong hand soap taste.

Yuck!

It turned out that  my little girl had decided to help clean the bathroom, so she had doused all the toothbrushes in liquid hand soap.

I checked out the label; no  mention of gluten but lots of other garbage!

I found it sort of weird to be checking the soap (why would they need that anyway?) but you never know.  I was glutened around that time, but I think it was  a cc issue, or trace amounts from non-dedicated lines in corn chips.

Tisk, tisk.

Archived