12 replies to this topic

#1 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

I did a search but could only find some old threads about it.

I was thinking about this yesterday...What do you think? Does having a gluten free dish soap matter if you do not have skin issues when coming into contact with gluten?

At home I currently use Ajax dish soap (I'm pretty sure that when I went gluten-free originally I looked this up but I'm sending them an email to ask again), and I use whatever soap my boyfriend happens to have at his place. But maybe I need to be more careful.

It makes me think because at restaurants we cannot control what soap they use on the dishes or what hand soap they have in the bathroom. 

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Unless you are eating dish soap or have an active allergy to a listed ingredient in the soap, it should pose no problem.  Dishes are generally rinsed well after washing anyway so what you use on your dishes is not a concern.  I have never screened soap for gluten, am extremely sensitive and have never had a problem in 9 years gluten-free.  One less thing to worry about!  :)

#3 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Thanks Gemini. It seems like every few months something crops up that I hadn't thought of before. Glad this one isn't an issue. :) 

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, what gemini said.  Dish soap is made to rinse off, so if you feel like looking it won't hurt, but I think it isn't going to be worth too much effort.  I always buy the basic kind anyways, I avoid the ones with hand moisturizers in it and such because I don't want moisturizers left on my dishes, haha. I use seventh generation fresh citrus and ginger because I LOVE the nice mild and fresh smell, and it actually says gluten free on the back.  But I only use it because I like to sniff it while I am hard at work, haha,

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

A little bit of aromatherapy while doing dishes, Laura?  ;)

#6 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Haha yes!

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Nick_incollege

Nick_incollege

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Most studies have shown that gluten only affects you if you digest it. That being said, some people have reported getting rashes. I personally don't worry about dish soap.

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Rashes usually occur from a skin allergy to an ingredient in the product.....it is not a celiac reaction, unless you drink dish soap that contains gluten.

#9 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

I am on the hunt for gluten-free dish soap because it's bubble season again and we make our own.  Since the kids are playing in them and running through them it seems essential that they're safe.  It hasn't been easy finding options though!

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

I know Dawn USED TO BE gluten-free, but that info isn't recent. I can't see why they would have added gluten to their formula, but I bet if you wrote to them they'd answer you.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 HavaneseMom

HavaneseMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

Biokleen says all of their products are gluten free. The fourth question down in this FAQ's link says so:
http://biokleenhome.com/faq
Their dish soap is good and I LOVE their Spray & Wipe All Purpose Cleaner so much that I buy it by the case from amazon. It's great if you don't like heavily scented products.
I don't know if cleaning products need to be gluten free for us, but it does give me some peace of mind using them.
Grateful to be correctly diagnosed at 40.
Likely misdiagnosed since childhood.
Blood test and Biopsies positive for Celiac Disease.
Gluten Free Since 10/9/13.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~ Dalai Lama

#12 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

I know Dawn USED TO BE gluten-free, but that info isn't recent. I can't see why they would have added gluten to their formula, but I bet if you wrote to them they'd answer you.

Thanks for the lead! It still is and I'm going to make a huge batch of bubbles soon.

Come on Spring!!

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#13 tri-gal

tri-gal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

Funny to see this thread. I was not concerned about soaps until the other day when my toothbrush had a dreadfully strong hand soap taste.

Yuck!

It turned out that  my little girl had decided to help clean the bathroom, so she had doused all the toothbrushes in liquid hand soap.

I checked out the label; no  mention of gluten but lots of other garbage!

I found it sort of weird to be checking the soap (why would they need that anyway?) but you never know.  I was glutened around that time, but I think it was  a cc issue, or trace amounts from non-dedicated lines in corn chips.

Tisk, tisk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: