18 replies to this topic

#16 NatureChick

NatureChick

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Wines are known for causing reactions, though gluten is not the problem. Many of them contain so many ingredients that it would be impossible to guess what was causing a reaction when no ingredients are listed.

Here is a link to an article that talks about why vintners don't list ingredients. And grapes are often a crop that is doused heavily in pesticides and herbicides so if you react, it might even be to a residue of something toxic left on the grapes themselves. When I buy wine, I buy organic. But you might also have luck by going to a local winery near you where you can ask them about their ingredients. I also presume that the more commercial the process, the more likely the ingredients lists were determined in a lab rather than just being good, old-fashioned wine making.

http://www.nytimes.c...-wine.html?_r=0

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Here is a link to an article that talks about why vintners don't list ingredients. And grapes are often a crop that is doused heavily in pesticides and herbicides so if you react, it might even be to a residue of something toxic left on the grapes themselves

How about buying a good quality wine and drink it and stop worrying about what may or may not be lurking in it, courtesy of all those evil wine makers out to get us?  :blink:

-LTES-

#18 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Here is a link to an article that talks about why vintners don't list ingredients. And grapes are often a crop that is doused heavily in pesticides and herbicides so if you react, it might even be to a residue of something toxic left on the grapes themselves. When I buy wine, I buy organic. But you might also have luck by going to a local winery near you where you can ask them about their ingredients. I also presume that the more commercial the process, the more likely the ingredients lists were determined in a lab rather than just being good, old-fashioned wine making.

Thanks for the linked article, Naturechick.  It's totally correct in it's premise that we normally consider wine 'unprocessed' and elemental.  For those of us in the world who are trying to be mindful of what we are putting into our bodies aside from just gluten (and mindful of what effect massive production/agricultural processes are doing to the ecosystems), it's a great starting off article to investigate it further. Organic wine - I'll have to look harder for it.

Thanks! :)

Kamma

#19 Shell156

Shell156

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hi everyone,

Sheesh! I'm so sorry I took so long to reply . I've been gluten free since 2006, so it's not that. I'm positive I've had a gluten reaction from wine, it's just that ... after being gluten free for so long, I really know what a gluten reaction feels like. It took me a long time to believe it was true and not something else but I don't react to sulfites, grapes or pesticides. Furthermore, I don't react to yellowtail wine, bearfoot wine (but I don't like it!) and Mission Hill wine that was made in the stainless steel containers.

I react very badly to less ppm than anyone I know. I don't react to certified gluten free products but I've reacted to products that simply say "gluten free" on the label a bunch! I know there are a ton of celiacs out there that don't react to any wines whatsoever but it just seems I'm significantly more sensitive than average :(

Just was looking for anyone who is super sensitive that could expand my wine options?

And I did want to say thank you to everyone that answered and tried to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: