6 replies to this topic

#1 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:30 AM

that having a dedicated gluten free kitchen is amazing??? :)

I just remove the last 3 cans of glutenous food from my kitchen. I've replaced my cutting board and utensils, thrown out some old pans, bought a new stock pot, done some scrubbing. 

My waffle iron, blender, and toaster have always been dedicated gluten-free.

The stress relief afforded by this move is amazing! I feel so happy that I can cook, bake and make sandwiches without stressing out about double dipping or chopping stuff or setting stuff down, etc.

The only gluten that I can think of in my house now is some shampoo in the bathroom and my fish food. I bought some gluten containing shampoo by mistake so I'm having others help use it up.

Not sure if I'm ambitious enough to make homemade gluten free fish food for my goldfish! LOL!

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

I'm glad this has made it easier for you.  My kitchen is mostly gluten free.  My husband is the only gluten eater in the house.  He has snacks, his own toaster and dedicated space on the counter.  The rest is gluten free.  He is good about not double dipping and gets everything he needs first then makes his sandwiches.  He doesn't bake any gluten foods because I won't let regular flour in the house.  He eats gluten free baked goods etc. and if he wants something different he goes to the bakery.  I don't have to worry about the kids cc anything because they both are gluten free too.  It sounds like it will be a big weight off your shoulders!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

I find it a relief to have a completely gluten-free kitchen too.  I read every label in the grocery store and make sure not to bring any cooties into my apartment.  Then I can relax and eat whatever I want and not think twice about it.  I would think having to second-guess food and prep surfaces every time you want to eat something would be a lot of added stress.  The only down-side is that if I'm eating at someone else's house I have to keep reminding myself not to get too comfortable about eating whatever is in front of me.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Unless you plan on kissing your goldfish, I wouldn't worry about their food!  :lol:

#5 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

why do goldfish need gluten in their food?  Just wondering...

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#6 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I don't have a clue, but it annoys me that it's in there.

I'll either:

a. wash my hands after feeding them

b. make somebody else do it

c. pour their food directly out of their container without touching it

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#7 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:08 AM

I don't worry about the gluten in the fish food... I'm in the habit of washing my hands every time I touch the fish tank anyhow - even if it's just to lift the lid to feed them.  Fish carry bacteria and even TB, so it's a good idea to wash your hands anyhow.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: