This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Celiac Symptoms?

doug10

doug10 Newbie

I had an endoscope recently but my GI doctor did not bother to check for Celiac (not sure why).  I get bloated (a lot of burping) sometimes after meals and acid stomach.  I also get like gas pains in my stomach and intestines area.  Are these celiac symptoms?  I also have Hiatan Hernia.

BTW blood test were negative which means nothing i guess

Thx Doug

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Those are celiac disease symptoms but they old also be due to non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI). When all testing for celiac disease is done, perhaps a (6 month) trial on the gluten-free diet could be helpful.

What tests were done btw?

Fenrir Community Regular

Thos are some of the symptoms of Celiac but there are many other disease that have those as well. For instance, a hiatal hernia can cause reflux and bloating after eating. Drinking pop/soda tends to give people the burps and I believe a hernia can make that worse.

I'm no doctor but given you have a diagnosed hiatal hernia that seems to fit pefectly with your symtoms. Now, that doesn't exclude also having celiac or a intolerance of gluten but the hernia seems to be fit the bill pretty well.

doug10 Newbie

I had a Gluten/Antigenic test done by a lab in Texas and they stated that 

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 10 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Not sure how reliable this test was.

Is there any other tests that can be completed that are not done thorough an endoscope.

Fenrir Community Regular

I had a Gluten/Antigenic test done by a lab in Texas and they stated that 

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 10 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Not sure how reliable this test was.

Is there any other tests that can be completed that are not done thorough an endoscope.

If it was enterolab, I have read that using their methods results in about 30% of people who do not have celiac testing positive. 

Again, doesn't mean that you don't have it or that your result isn't accurate but it is far from diagnostic. I think if you really think you could have celiac you should just ask your Dr. to order the TTG IgA testing and see if that comes up positive.

doug10 Newbie

It was with Entrolab     my results were only at 10 with normal being below 10.  As you stated not sure how accurate it was.   How accuare is TTG IgA testing?

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

The ttg iga is one of the more accurate tests.  However, you should request a full Celiac panel which includes the following:

Total Serum IgA

tTG-IgA

tTG-IgG

EMA-IgA

DGP-IgA

DGP-IgG

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fenrir Community Regular

Yeah, it seems like the tTG-IgA is the gold standard right now but DGP is becoming more accpeted as well. Chances are if your tTG IgA is positive you more than likely have Celiac, it's somewhere 95-100% specific to celiac and 90% sensative.

So, 90% of people with celiac will be positive and of those 90% that are positve 95-100% will have celiac. A small number of people that are positive will have another autoimmune disease that is triggering the positive tTTG IgA but that is less than 5% of  tTG-IgA positive people.

moosemalibu Collaborator

The hiatal hernia could definitely contribute to or be the cause of your symptoms. You could also have NCGI... similar symptoms to Celiac without the damage to the bowel. Could be useful to do a dietary gluten free trial to see if symptoms resolve or improve.

doug10 Newbie

Yes I do believe the Hiatal Hernia could be the main issue I have, hard to know as these symptoms are kind of generic.

If someone with Celiac or Gluten sensitive gave up Gluten for like nine months, and then suddenly added it back, could they go 5 to 7 weeks with little or no effect to them.

Archived