This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amaranth Flour Recipes

Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I've got a few boxes of amaranth flour that I would love to bake with. I tried to make cookies with a combination of flours, including amaranth. They were really good out of the oven but the got bitter as they cooled. Do any of have favorite amaranth recipes that you would be willing to share?

Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I like pancakes made with amaranth flour. (No special recipe, just sub-ing amaranth flour.)

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks Tiffany!

Seems like we're eating WAY too much rice in our house. :blink:

Claire Collaborator
Thanks Tiffany!

Seems like we're eating WAY too much rice in our house. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally have found that if I eat TOO much of anything it will eventually become a reactive food. I try to vary things but with only a limited food bank I have a tough time. My problem is too much buckwheat! Claire

Guest Lucy

My sons blood sugar reading skyrocket if we eat too much rice or rice flour. So it is high in sugar too. We still use it, but sparingly.

Claire Collaborator
My sons blood sugar reading skyrocket if we eat too much rice or rice flour.  So it is high in sugar too.  We still use it,  but sparingly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are lots of gluten-free choices - some things you would have to make from scratch but there are ready mades too - though that can be costly. Buckwheat products are a good change. There are many flours besides rice available for baking. Most of these will have the same problem as rice - the carb count is high.

Is your son on insulin or the diabetic low carb diet? Claire

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie

Have you looked at the recipes available at www.bobsredmill.com- I have tried several of the Amaranth Flour recipes they have. Here are a few of my favorites:

Amaranth Spicy Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:

1-3/4 cups sifted Amaranth Flour

1/4 cup Arrowroot Starch

2 tsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Cream of Tartar

1-1/2 tsp Cinnamon

2 Tb Fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 tsp Ginger Root (ground)

1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground Cloves

1/2 cup (optional) Golden Raisins

1/4 cup chopped (optional) Pecan Halves

1 scant cup Canned Pumpkin Puree (make sure it's gluten-free)

1/4 cup Vegetable Oil

1/4 cup Honey

1/3 cup Water

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-muffin tin or line with paper liners, set aside.

Sift together the flour, arrowroot, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves into a large bowl.

Stir in the raisins and chopped nuts (if using).

Whisk the pumpkin, lemon juice, oil and honey together in a small bowl. Pour into the flour mixture. Mix with a few swift strokes. If needed, add a tablespoon or so of water. Do not overmix.

Divide batter among prepared muffin tins. Bake for 18-120 minutes, or until center of muffin feels firm.

Makes 12 regular size muffins

Banana Cake

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Nuts, finely ground (I use Almond Meal)

1-3/4 cup Amaranth Flour

1/2 cup Arrowroot Starch

1/2 tsp. Sea Salt

2 tsp. Baking Soda

1/2 cup Nuts, coarsely chopped

1-1/2 cup Banana, mashed

2 Tbsp. Lemon juice

1/4 cup Oil

1/2 cup Honey

2 Eggs

1 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9" baking dish.

Grind nuts in a blender to fine grind. Add to remaining dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and add coarse nuts. Without washing equipment, combine remaining ingredients in blender and process 30 seconds. Pour liquids over dry mixture and stir, but do not beat. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Top will spring back when touched in middle and toothpick test will be dry. Frosting is optional.

I hope you like them as much as I do!! My family just loves the Banana Cake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks so much for these recipes. I can't wait to give them a try!! :)

dogear Rookie

I have "milleranth mix":

4 cups of millet flour

2 cups of amaranth flour

2 cups of tapioca or potato starch

1.5 Tbs of xanthan gum.

And it will pretty much transfer cup for cup with wheat flour in most recipes, and is much more forgiving then most of the mixes listed in the cookbooks.

Archived