Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Fragrance-Less

10 posts in this topic

Well, this seems like a silly thing to complain about in light of the more serious health issues we deal with on here, but I’ve had to go all fragrance free as some of you may have read recently. Several of you have offered great advice. Finding new products isn’t that hard, a little time and energy consuming, but not hard. Us sensitive folks have it pretty good these days with all the new products for us.

It’s sort of funny though, “Better living through chemistry” came along at some point and brought all the chemical ingredients we can’t pronounce in our products. So, now I’m buying new stuff with the same chemicals minus the fragrance. I want to go more natural but that will take some learning and I don’t have the energy for it just yet. The funny thing is that I feel more afraid of the natural stuff because I’m not familiar with it.

I’m not a fan of change. But mostly I miss those fragrances I’m used to. Nothing smells good around here anymore. It took time to find all those chemical concoctions I became so fond of and I miss the smell of them. I’m not sure where my aromatherapy is supposed to come from anymore. I have a scented candle I like but I’m afraid to burn it. I’ve become scent-phobic!

I’m bummed. I can’t eat anything and now I have nothing good to smell. Poor me.

I missed it at first too. I haven't used soap or shampoo in more than a year now. Some people probably think that's creepy and weird, but it's great for me. My skin and hair have never been happier. If you start looking up recipes online for body scrubs you can find ones with essential oils added for fragrance. Or you can just add a few drops yourself to whatever recipe makes you happy. You just have to be careful to get something that isn't going to irritate your skin and that isn't something you'll have a problem with. Or, for instance, I love love love lavender, but if I used it in everything I'd just tranq myself because it has the effect on me. So be aware of what a smell will do to you before adding it to things. :lol:

Awww, Thanks A! I hadn't thought of the essential oils yet. That's so funny, to be aware of how they will effect you before using them. That could be really important, depending on the situation. I love the smell of peppermint and licorice. That makes me feel better already. I'm gunna go smell my natural organic peppermint mints right now. I have those for a treat once in a while.

Yes, all the people that would think not using all those soaps to get super clean... I'm a bit more "european" about that stuff anyway. I've never been one of those over clean people that cover themselves in cologne. I'm clean but I don't like to overdo it either. Interesting that your skin and hair are happier than ever. That gives me another reason to smile.

This is completely off the subject, but we had a little earthquake in the LA area over here just a little bit ago. I had just finished my post when it started shaking and I scurried under the table. No big deal, I've felt lots of them, but they always scare me, I'm still shaken up. Good time for aromatherapy. I just might light that scented candle after all!

I hate to add fuel to the fire..........but my chemical/scent sensitivity has gotten increasingly worse since the removal of gluten.  I am not talking science right now...I know I can't tolerate scents or smoke any longer...i used to be able to gracefully excuse myself.  Um, no longer.

If sensitivities are increasing....IMHO...it is time to look at histamine and/or mast cell issues (I waited too long....again IMHO).

For perspective -- just five or so short years ago....I could walk into Bath and Body Works and actually enjoy their samples....now...I can't walk in front of their storefront or let my sis in the house when she is wearing it.  sucks.  yes.

No scents for me for the last 15 years. I used to run though the department store cosmetics department. It made me feel sick! I will not let anyone in my family where scents either still. But I think it has improved somewhat.

If sensitivities are increasing....IMHO...it is time to look at histamine and/or mast cell issues (I waited too long....again IMHO).

Thanks GS, that's definitely good info to keep in mind. I also had started to wonder if my sensitivities were increasing after problems with gluten. It really sucks that you have to deal with that, as if Gluten isn't a big enough problem!

Actually, now I think it may not have been a fragrance issue (or a corn issue, which you may have seen me talk about in another post the last couple days) at all. All my itching problems (etc) started around the time I started eating canned tuna. I thought I was having a problem with food in cans, so I stopped eating anything on a can for a day, and I felt so much better overnight, I had to wonder.

After more reading It seems that what was bothering me, was too much mercury in the tuna! I was eating it every day, going over the allowable amount. My symptoms were right on: itchy, insomnia, eyes burning, balance problems. I don't think it was actual mercury poisoning, but toxicity which is not dangerous, but not good. There will be no fish in my diet for quite a long while.

I'll have to wait to see if the fragrances or the corn had anything to do with it, but I think it was the mercury.

Lesson learned: everything in moderation! Try canned salmon as it has less contaminant, especially if you are in a jam and can not cook. Look up the safe fish list for more suggestions.

Lesson learned: everything in moderation!

You said it!

By the way, I used to have trouble going through the cosmetic counters is stores, back in the days when they used to fill the air with clouds of perfume, it was very irritating to my nose. Remember how they used to come up and spray perfume right on you before you could even blink! That would make me so mad. Boy have things changed, or started to.

I still see magazines with perfume ads though. I thought they were going to do away with that. That stuff still bothers my nose. It's really not cool for people with fragrance issues. Those of us who are sensitive in various ways have a tough time out there among the brutes of the world!!

I buy plain jojoba oil and add an essential oil. This time I added peppermint to the oil and slather it on after I'm almost dry after a shower. Maybe something like that could work for you? I thought the peppermint would give my tired butt some energy. Yeah, yeah, yeah...  There are so many yummy scents!

So be aware of what a smell will do to you before adding it to things. :lol:

Ha ha so true! I put together aromatherapy kits as Christmas presents one year and spritzed a concoction with orange oil on my face. It just about knocked me down and put me in another orbit. After recovering, I looked it up in my book and found out it can have a hypnotic effect. Of course, I was not gluten-free at the time so there's no telling how my senses interpreted the strong scent but that one spritz taught me a lot about aromatherapy.

My ability to smell anything diminished as time wore on until it was just null and void. It's just beginning to return. (I can actually smell other people's breath which, oddly, has a grounding effect on me... and no, I wasn't the Elmer's glue sniffer in elementary school) ;)

My hearing and vision are what I contend with the most sensitivity-wise and it's worse when I'm under stress. A friend of mine who turned up sensitive to gluten way back in 1998 is also sensitive to perfume. To be honest, it's been nice not having to deal with olfactory sensitivity. At least with the other ones, you can close your eyes and install earplugs! Maybe cotton balls? :D